Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Black sheep

grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
pior grand marshal polycounter
Was about to leave the comp for the holidays but decided to start something anyhow... Just for the sake of frustration hahaha confused.gif

Been wanting to work on an aviator chickadee for soooo long. The goal is to go for a facial rig or morphtargets to see how all that reacts with normalmaps.

3d_aviatrice_01.jpg

3d_aviatrice_02.jpg

Nostrils were HUGE on that first version laugh.gif

And bit of PS noobing for the cheesy factor :

baaaa

Been gathering TONS of refs but any crit/suggestion is appreciated. I'm not shooting for the perfect historic look anyways, mostly going for something LastExile-ish. Because LE is so cool wink.gif

Replies

• squatedbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    squatedbug polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, this looks sexy man. She does seem to have enormous 'baggy' eyes?
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    LE is definitly an exellent manga smile.gif

Exellent mesh as usual with ALOT of character... C'mon do some shits, I would like to say sometimes different than "omfg that rox" laugh.gif

updates ! ^^

Edit : I'm not sure about the bump (?) on the hat. I doesn't look very leather-ish atm. But I'm sur it's WIP grin.gif

Anyways -> crazy.gif
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice man it's going to kick ass ! It reminds me of Stuzzi's work which as you know is a huge compliment.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Damn Pior I love this. My only minor niggles:

The face is just a wee bit 'soft' feeling. I think particularly the crease where nostrils meet face at the sides could be harder.

I think there is perhaps something ever so slightly not quite right about where the nasal cavaties meet the face on the underneath of the nose. That's a really tricky area to get right. I haven't figured out quite what is wrong about it though. It might just be that you don't have shadows in that render
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    no, there is a serious amount of flesh between the nostrils and the face. Just eas them back a bit. Don't be shy smile.gif

it looks great.

The first version looked like a black mans nose on a white girls face, but that has been toned down a lot in the second version.

Pior, you really should be doing this for a living man smile.gif
  • peppi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peppi polycounter lvl 18
    Damn you pior! What a cool design. The anatomy conforms with the pior style which is always charming to look at; I don't think you should change too much about her face at all, realism aside I think I even like those wider nostrils of the first version better. As Renaud pointed out there is something odd about the wrinkles overlay in the leather - it doesn't seem to interact with the rest of the model very well. Right now it does have a slightly papery feel to it, maybe that's just a bit too strong.. or maybe that's just me smile.gif Anyway I concur in that you should be doing this for a living!
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    coolness.. really like the design.. but if your doing it for morph targets you will want to model those lips open a bit.. just made a shit load of morphs with normals for our game.. and they look pretty neat morphed.. but when i started i did the same thing you did.. lips closed.. and it really messes the lips up when they open up..
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, got that great pior style to it man.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    wow, the photoshop tweak is gorgeous.
    The only part that bugs me a little is the nostrils still.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    nice one .. it's oozing with your style
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Hah! Look at you man, you're unstoppable! I really dig her hat, though the crinkles (I think I recognize them from your normal map photography as a wrinkled paper) seem a neat idea, I don't know if they work in execution.

NOw make her a body! I don't care if you are on vacation, I need my pior fix!
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    She looks beautiful. The cap is nice, but the chin strap should be long enough to actually buckle under her chin.

The goggles need detail. Even if they are not intented to be Historical, there arecertain common construction techniques especially goggoles in the "Pre-plastic Age" (WW2 and Earlier) The goggles they use in "Last Exile" are a simplified version of standard Imperial Japanese goggles. I can, as usual provide reference, but I would also suggest Italian, French, and U.S. Goggles at the time. British Goggles are pretty Clunky, andGerman ones were almost glorified Sunglasses. Ask me and I can provide.

Scott
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    haha finally you started the beauty !!!

good to see that big project started mr piorou !! smile.gif

can't wait to see more smile.gif
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hell yeah 3D nostrils are tricky smile.gif I've started to wonder what would be the best solution, tweaking all that right away or waiting until the nmap is generated to have the abilty to move 'lowpoly' verts around more easily. For some reason I feel like I'd get better results this way as it'd force me to look at the'bigpicture' instead of painfully retweaking a hipoly model. We'll see! I agree there is definately something to be fixed around that place.

Good point Arsh I was wondering about that. Were your models normalmapped? I guess its rather hard to setup rendertotexture projection properly around the mouth, intersecting polies and all that. My plan was to model both models with mouth closed, generate normalmaps then open up the lips to add the inner bits of the mouth, manually seam-fixing the nmap around that area. What would you think?

I'm also wondering what is the actual definition of lowpoly animated mouthes these days. Something like 6 divisions with one extra edge at the corners maybe?
    _ _ _ _ _ _
    _ _ _ _ _ _

Anyways yeah I might remodel that to have it slightly open instead. Got to run some tests!

The overlay on the leather cap comes from the Simbiont free Darktrees library, I like these shaders for ther crisp qualities and because they look good even if procedural!

One can easily add precise surface details without UVing anything, and the Potatoskin shader they have is awesome in itself! I might need to scale down that weird leather tho. I liked it because it had a slight 'sky' feel (don't know if thats the right way to call synthetic leather? we use that word here for cheap jackets, luggages and the like) but it certainly looks a tad papery atm.

Scott, that'd be very helpful! The more refs the better smile.gif I was trying to stay away from close replicating but now that I think of it that could be a nice exercise. Too bad, when I was in east Berlin some months ago they had these military shops/streetmarkets nearby CheckPoint Charlie, I should have bought that pair of milit googles I saw. It was certainly a fake and was for sure tourist-expensive but that would have been helpful now!

I like the chunky feel of some of the historic aviator googles, like the ones that have an angle on the side of the glasses. Loving Boygton's sleek oval googles too. Refs really aprreciated! Feel free to mail/PM if its okay.

I'd really like to learn more about what type of shoes aviators used to wear too. And were these HUGE baggy-ish pants made to protect from eventual fire in accidents? Thanks if you can help.

Kay, got to see some more BaaBaa episodes on TV now! I'm sure the show is still aired somewhere laugh.gif
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    your approach would work fine... either way there are a few extra steps... here what i did in max..

i modeled the face with mouth closed.. cause its really hard to tell what the final model will look like with it open..
    so i had a high and low mouth closed..

then i made a copy of my low poly and made a morph target with the lip barely open.. not too much... just so there wasent any part of the mouth intersecting itself..

then(this really depends how close your high is to your low)
    i took the low poly model added a morph modifier and added the open lips target.. overlapped the highpoly model and added a skin wrap to it with the low poly driving the skin wrap..then i crank the open lips morph to 100 and the low poly now opened the lips on the highpoly via skin wrap and then i did my bakes.. all seemed to work okay... hope this helps..
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaah yeah Arsh I see, tricky but useful. Thanks for sharing!