Home General Discussion

Shavin' time

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
Kind of a starange post, but I'm going to be in the market for a new electric razor soon, any reccommendations? My Norelco reflex action razor is finally dying on me and would cost more to fix than replace.

I am kind of tempted to finally jump on to the blade and foam bandwagon, but will miss the convenience of the electric one.

Anyone did both and favor one over the other?

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I prefer the electric one, you can do more than just clean shave off the hairs. Also I found it kinda lengthy and annoying to use the manual shaver. Okay, I've been introduced to manual shaving in the military so I might have some additional negative feelings towards it...
  • skankerzero
    I prefer electric cause I'm lazy.

Razors irratate my skin sometimes too, and that sucks.

I also moved a manual razor sideways once, and 'erased' a mole by accident. That one stung a bit...

I don't really have one to recommend, but for my next one, I'm going to try the ones that use the rotary blades, instead of the 'sliding-from-left-to-right' blades. My beard fuzz can go in all kinds of different directions, so I figure the rotary ones will do a better job at getting them all in less time.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I use that Mach3 'turbo' or whatever it's called. It's a manual shaver, but it vibrates. This just allows for a closer shave, similar to an eletric.

I don't like actual electrics all that much, since they always feel like someone is yanking the hairs out, as opposed to cutting them off :P
  • Eric Chadwick
    I use a manual, in the shower. All the trimmings just go down the drain, no mess. And no need for foam, I just have to let my face warm up a bit in the water first.

Only minor gripe I have is not having a mirror handy, so sometimes I miss a spot or if I'm careless I get a nick.
  • bearkub
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    ra...zor? what is this device you speak of?

XD
  • JonMurphy
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    I have a Philishave with the moisturisor dispenser. Always a nice shave, with no irritation. But now I think it may be dead, either through a bad charge or just wear, so I have been doing it the old fashion way. Takes far to bloody long
  • sledgy
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    Eric, just grab one of those made-for-shower mirrors. They claim they're fogless but I wouldn't go that far..maybe "resists fog". I know a guy who had one installed that has water pipes that run through it in order to maintain the same temperature that actually is fogless.
  • sonic
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    When I first started shaving a lot I had an electric shaver. After a while, I used a regular razor and cream and haven't gone back yet. Electric shavers seem to tug and then cut the hair, and I don't like the feel it gives my face. And like Vass said, I have that new Mach 3 turbo thing that vibrates when you shave, and it's really cool and feels good on the face. I'd recommend giving it a try before droppin money on an electric one.
  • SouL
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Are you going to shave your pubes?
  • Mishra
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Are you going to shave your pubes?

[/ QUOTE ]

thats what i thought this thread was going to be about.

i was severely disappointed.
  • SouL
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Try it. It makes your cock look longer.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Can always rely on SouL to raise the rhetoric up a notch. Pure class. smile.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    I'm a manual razor guy, but I grew too lazy to foam up every time, now I just dry shave with a mach3, non vibrating kind. It takes some getting used to but it's better than any E-Razor I had, and faster too. Not to mention E-Razors yank, tug, and pull hair rather than cut it. Maybe I had a few bad brands but I really don't like the things.
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Vig, same here. I dry shave my entire head with the cheapest buy'em-by-the-bagfull bics.
  • lkraan
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Used an electric razor for a while but switched to wet shaving and I can never go back. I alsways shave under the shower and trim the burns afterwards in front of the mirror.
    All together it probably takes as much time either way.
    A wet shave feels smoother and less itchy afterwards. At least to me.
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I use a trimmer, works well enough and doesn't hurt at all.
  • Bort
    Offline / Send Message
    Bort polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    ra...zor? what is this device you speak of?

[/ QUOTE ]

The only time a Man should shave is when you have to gay up for a sexy weekend with frankie.
  • Hollowmind
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    I used electric razors when I was a teenager up to my early 20's. Started using a Gillete Mach 3 quite a few years ago and never looked back. Smoothest shave you can get. I also use edge gel as opposed to foam. It still foams up when you apply but it seems to be thicker and slicker. Makes for a nicer shave.

Always had to go back over areas with an electric razor to get hairs it missed. Annoyed the shit out of me. It actually takes me less time to shave now even with the extra work of applying the shaving gel.

But yeah, there's never been a better razor than the Mach 3. wink.gif
  • Mishra
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    i tried to use an electric shaver but hated it so i use a regular manual thingy.
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    bag o bics here,a little tip,shave right after a hot shower,the water will make your hairs eaiser to shave after its been soaked in hot water.

electrics work if thats what you like but anything below the head i recommend non electrics.
  • nitzmoff
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the responses. Might as well try the mach 3 and give the manual thing a go. Last time I used one of those was junior high and came dangerously close to an MK style fatality. Maybe this time I'll only get a collection of cool scars. I'll just tell everyone I fought a bear.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm a manual razor guy, but I grew too lazy to foam up every time, now I just dry shave with a mach3, non vibrating kind. It takes some getting used to but it's better than any E-Razor I had, and faster too. Not to mention E-Razors yank, tug, and pull hair rather than cut it. Maybe I had a few bad brands but I really don't like the things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. Mach 3, no gel usually. I have this thin-wannabe beard though, so IM just trimming & cleaning edges. When I was clean shaven I had both electric & manual, but I prefer manual. I even go "against the grain" for the closest shave possible. Moisturize with good lotion afterwards and you'll be golden.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    here's another tip, wash your face after you shave, not before, your natural oils and what-not make your beard hair soft. I'm in a constant battle not to slice my face off, it's a complicated dance of expensive creams and lotions.
  • sonic
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    but if you wash it with warm water it also makes the hair soft and opens the pores, allowing for an easier cut!
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Try it. It makes your cock look longer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, losing weight helps with this aim. The less of a paunch to your pubic mound and the penis appears to hang further out of the body.

genius.
  • pogonip
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Nitmoff the important thing with manual shaving is to shave everyday or every other day at most . Otherwise you are really fighting the grain and when you cut through thick stubble it tends to make the blade jerk which causes cuts and razor burn . I also just use water when im shaving and no gel as it makes my face break out when I use gel .
  • Michael Knubben
    I also use the mach3, without gel or foam.
    I've never actually used an electric though, so i can't really comment on that.
    All i know is that, for my pansy-arse facial growth, it works like a charm.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I've got this one: http://www.beststuff.co.uk/remington_rs8986_shaver.htm
    the remington RS 8986, and I can easily recommend it. It does the job well.
  • thnom
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Wilkinson Sword Quatro here.. lovely shave everytime
  • nitzmoff
    Offline / Send Message
    Used a manual for the first time in while last night... I can see it's merits, but it felt like I was on the verge of killing myself with every stroke. I'm sure I'll have to give it some time. After checking out the price of it all, I think an electric is far and away cheaper over time after the initial cost.
  • sonic
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    At first I thought I would cut myself too, but to this day I've only cut myself once, and its because I was forced to use an extremely dull razor laugh.gif

It's really not a price issue I believe, just how it feels. If you like the gritty feel, go manual. If you like to be quick and done with it, go electric.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    I use a hair clipper, i cut my hair and shave at the same time, once I pass through miami vice to terrorist it's time for another shave/haircut.
  • Sett
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    I had a great Philips shaver that died. The guy at the store said that it would be better to buy a new one than to fix the battery on the old one. Well that was a mistake. That one was the best shaver I ever owned the new one was crap(Philips too).
    Now I have one of those Braun shavers that you place into a docking cleaner/charger. Crap too. The shave is ok. but the cleaner packs are expensive and don't last too long. The juice in them is mostly alcohol based so even if you use it or not it tends to dry up on you.

I've given up on the packs and gone with this method witch will work with most elec. shavers- Two things you need a small alcohol spray cleaner that they sell in most shave shops. And a can of that compressed air cleaner for keyboards/mice/cameras etc. Just take off the guard and blast it clean with the air, then turn it on and give it two quick shots of the alcohol on the blade. Done.

Also as said before do not wash your face before shaving. Your own oils are a perfect lube.