Home General Discussion

networked 3d modeling

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
aesir polycounter lvl 18
I was talking with a few people tonight in IRC about an idea scoobydoofus had for an Open Canvas style 3d modeling program. In that, I mean, that multiple people would be able to work on the same scene from different computers. Several people could be modeling the same object at the same time. I think it would be amazing cool to have 3d sessions like the OC sessions I occasionally have with other people, especially if there were Zbrush-esque tools involved. But frankly, I would be more than happy simply with wings3d with network support.

Even if this wouldnt exactly speed up a pipeline all that much in a professional enviornment, at the very least it seems like it would be extremely fun to do. I could work on modeling a hand, while another person was working on the arm or some such arrangement.

Am I missing some obvious points that would make software like this impractical?

If I could find some coders to work on an open source program like this, I would have no problem donating money to help out the project. Hell, they could even build it off something like blender or wings if the creators of those programs would allow it.

Anyone else think this would make for an incredibly rad program?

Replies