Home General Discussion

Kung-Fu / Martial Arts movie suggestions?

Hunter
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Hunter polycounter lvl 18
I know there are quite a few of you who have great collections, or are even considered experts among most. I am thinking of starting a small collection of Martial art movies.. I recently caught a few of the old ones that used to be aired on Sundays afternoons (here in NY on challel 11) when I was younger.. I was hooked and could watch 10 in a row on any given weekend.. anyways..

Are there any suggestions for good / classic movies I should grab ?? and where is the best place to order / buy them from ?

All and any input is always appreciated..

Replies

• sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    enter the dragon. YOU *WILL* OWN THIS MOVIE!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    enter the dragon truly is a classic, however I'd have to say that the two movies with the best fight scenes are Jackie Chan's Legend of Drunken Master and then for a bit less believable fighting, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Super Ninjas is great though you're going to have to try and find the original as the one I've seen on dvd is so bootleg(and cut) that it makes my old dub from vhs I did back in '85 look good.
    Ninja Kids with Alexander Lou was pretty good, some funny bits but not a comedy, plus it has the greates fighter of all time, the demon ninja!
    If you look up any of the movies The guys from the super ninjas were in you'll probably be happy.
    'The Boy With The Golden Arms'
    'The Five Venoms'
    Even better, I love all the 'Lone Wolf and Cub Movies', Shogun Assassin is just a cut up version of the movies that muddles the actual story but it's still pretty damn good.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i think this is question for mojo.. the man knows his kung fu.. and i know what he is going to say.. anything by stephan chow.. i like old jakie chan movies.. pre american.. i think the druken master series are my favorite.. the coolest looking kung fu style by far.. in my opinion...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Check out: Satomi hakken-den (Legend of the 8 Samurai)

I've got two words for you: Centipede Monster
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Seriously... this is what you wanna see first and believe me I know my Kung Fu movies !

Iron Monkey ( Best Kung-fu movie ever )
    Cruching Tiger Hidden Dragon
    Hero
    Unleashed
    once upon a time in china
    Ong Bak

Start with those ... and if you want some corny stuff get Enter the Dragon
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Seriously... this is what you wanna see first and believe me I know my Kung Fu movies !

[/ QUOTE ]

seems like all you know is jet lei movies!
    laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    come on arsh, only 3 out of 6 were li, (although jet was suposed to star in crouching tiger i beleive)

yes i am a big stephan chow fan heres a list of some of my faves

Kung fu hustle (recent movie but an instant classic, you will never forget this movie)
    shaolin soccer,
    chinese oddyessey 1 and 2
    FIST OF LEGEND
    shaolin master killer (36 chambers of shaolin)
    drunken master 2 (legend of drunken master)
    both zu mountain movies

that should get you started
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    alright...I'm going to go out on a limb here, and suggest a movie, that is not even oriental, but features some nice fighting in it. Brotherhood of the Wolf, or Le Pacte des Loups, for you poltically correct people.
  • Hunter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm so ar so good.. I am actually surprised to see all the newer (American releases) Some of which I have..

enter the Dragon should have been one i thought of.. ofter all Kareem Adbul Jabbar (who used to play basketball with my uncle) is in it.. hehe

Anyone else know of some of the older titles.. like the Saturday and Sunday kung-fu movie classics ??

Thanks so far everyone..
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    Kung Pow Enter the fist wink.gif

Leaning away from kungfu, check out:
    Six Sting Samurai wink.gif
    Ran
    The Seven Samurai
    Yojimbo

Or if you want something more bizzare:
    Zombie vs. Ninja
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    actualy kareem was in game of death , the main black dude in enter the dragon was jim kelly

anything you find by shaw bros will most likely be sunday night classics,
  • Hunter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doh.. shows you how long its been since Ive seen it..

Yup, I heard that the Shaw Bros. films are always classics..

Does anyone have a good site for finding these films ?
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    For old Classics I love "The Chinese Connection"

For cheap USA Kung Fu I like "The Pefect Weapon" with Jeff Speakman.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Ong Bak,never seen such serious ass kicking,and the stunts he did wireless,wow
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    Fist of Legend, not only great kung-fu but the story is actually good, I also really enjoyed the House of Flying Daggers. Not really a kung fu movie but it has kung-fu in it and was produced or directed by Jackie Chan I also recommend Gen X Cops.
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    The Legend of the Swordsman is a pretty good/funny Jet Li flic. It's got crossdressers and an awesome scene where a horse gets cut in half right down the middle. PHOOOOM!!