Home General Discussion

More Zombie news stories

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Wrath polycounter lvl 18
This one looks more reputable than the last.

Zombie Dogs

Replies

• PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    Does this mean Walt Disney is comming back soon? I wonder if they can mend the seam in his neck?

-R
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    They can only reanimate what they "killed" themselves. The technique does not repair any damage the body has suffered, it merely allows to power down the body for a few hours.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    So basically, if you get shot in the neck and you're about to bleed to death, they can sort of "freeze" you, and then repair you, and bring you back to life after surgery?

Sounds like one huge medical advance to me.
  • Kristian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kristian polycounter lvl 18
    Nevermind the zombie dogs, any news article that uses the word BOFFIN is a bluff to me!
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    This might possibly be a very nice option in a case where risky heart or brainstem surgery (etc) is required but isn't attempted because the risk of interrupting vital functions is too great. No vitals no worries!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FlizzzzZZzz... >plop< reel, reel >Yank< REEL! PULL! REEL! PULL! Flop flippie flop flop... flop... twitch...
    FlizzzzZZzz... >plop< reel, reel >Yank< REEL! PULL! REEL! PULL! Flop flippie flop flop... flop... twitch...

OH how the fish are biting today.
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    That is easily the most horrifying image I have ever seen.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Biting how? You think this one is fake?
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    The place really does exist, and really has been doing experimentation on rats and dogs for suspended animation, but I suppose it could be fake.

http://www.safar.pitt.edu/content/programs/safar/index_safar.html
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Yup, thats the first thing I checked yesterday. As its a real place known to be doing those experiments and publishing their results I don't see it being fake. They had stuff online abotu doing it and the animals suffering from brain damage a while ago.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The headline is sensationalistic, the article itself isn't really that far out. A similar process is involved when an organ is removed and transported for transplantation, they've just extended the process to the whole body and advanced enough to prevent brain damage in the process.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking at the other news stories on news.com.au Like "Cow, bull to tie the knot" and "Di snorted cocaine". After reading those articles I had no choice but to think they where a reputable media outlet interested in nothing but the truth. I mean come on their stuff ranks right up there with "Kirby the Human Planet". Quality journalism if I ever saw it. You can't help but take their reputation into question.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Vig, would you prefer a link from the Daily Mail? Reputable enough for you?

Also, you'll notice that was in the "Other Side" section of news.com.au, not the main "real" news section. However, that doesn't make it any less true, it just means it's been relegated to the bizarre news section.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    When people experience death, they talk about a white light that has often been associated with the belief of heaven. Scientist explain this as neurons firing, I guess sending random information to the visual receptors within the brain. Brain damage begins only 3 to 5 minutes after the heart stops sending oxygen to the brain. With humans being capable of achieving death for up to 3 hours and then reanimated without consequence, how will this affect the acceptance of heaven? You know...all those movies and cartoons where your soul floats out of your body and into the clouds. What will religious leaders think about this outragous new technology that could possibly save lives. Will this be the next stemcell-ish controversy? Or will zombies finally destroy the world?

Just thought I'd spark a debate.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I'm betting on zombies taking over the world.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i think it will be the next extreme sport.. see how long you can be dead.. then after you get the crap shocked out of you you slam a moutain dew and yell "EXTREME!!!".. then "HELL YEAH!!!" then crush the can on your head. nike will make special shoes for it with super shocks so when you jump up out of the bed right before slamming the dew you can get an extra 4 inches of vert..this is where the style points come in by doing sweety shifty slicky backy fakey manuvors.. i cant friggen wait.. AWESOME!!!!
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    i think it will be the next extreme sport.. see how long you can be dead.. then after you get the crap shocked out of you you slam a moutain dew and yell "EXTREME!!!".. then "HELL YEAH!!!" then crush the can on your head. nike will make special shoes for it with super shocks so when you jump up out of the bed right before slamming the dew you can get an extra 4 inches of vert..this is where the style points come in by doing sweety shifty slicky backy fakey manuvors.. i cant friggen wait.. AWESOME!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif

You made me laugh out loud, Arsh, literally.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Im more worried about the Japs making "security " robots then the aussies making zombies . At least when it's all said and done the zombies won't be mounted with missles and 50 calibure machine guns .
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    When people experience death, they talk about a white light that has often been associated with the belief of heaven. Scientist explain this as neurons firing, I guess sending random information to the visual receptors within the brain. Brain damage begins only 3 to 5 minutes after the heart stops sending oxygen to the brain. With humans being capable of achieving death for up to 3 hours and then reanimated without consequence, how will this affect the acceptance of heaven? You know...all those movies and cartoons where your soul floats out of your body and into the clouds. What will religious leaders think about this outragous new technology that could possibly save lives. Will this be the next stemcell-ish controversy? Or will zombies finally destroy the world?

Just thought I'd spark a debate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll bite =)

I think you need to look back at the discussions going on when the 'father of CPR' Dr. Safar first started talking about "bringing people back from the dead".
    Ding ROUND TWO, FIGHT!

Since I am not a deitist, I fall more in line with the Calvinist Christians. I think God chooses the time everyone dies. If God wants you to stay dead, I think he can make that happen, being God and all. Likewise if he wants you around longer and this is one of the ways it happens then so be it. Personally I look at this just as an extension to CPR, I am all for it. As long as it doesn't turn people into veggies 99% of the time.
    Its practical application sounds like it will be used in the battle field and in emergency cases where life saving surgery is needed but the patient is too far away and would never make it.

I think the only problem religions would have with this, are the ones who already object to any medical intervention.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    People are such yellow-ass cowards when it comes to dying. I for one will be happy to shuffle off the old mortal coil and blow this trailer park of a planet, no matter where I end up after. Just had to get that out there. Now then.

Next, it's not a zombie unless it's still dead while it's up and moving around. Let's just get that straight right here and now. If you're a zombie, you're dead, and you stay that way.

Elysium: If your soul does indeed leave the body after death (I have no experience with this personally, so I can't comment there), then let's say for the sake of scientific argument that all electrical activity in the brain must cease. That's the most ironclad proof of clinical death, the lack of brain activity. I'll lay odds that a person who was hypothermically suspended like this and then revived would show residual brain activity while suspended. Hence, no soul departure, and no need for God to install an Exit door up in Heaven. But people would probably have a nice near-death story about how the angels brought them back.

This doesn't take into account any out of body experience stuff. But let's say for argument that the silver cord isn't cut during hypothermic suspension.

However, I think all this speculation and discussion is moot. If anyone actually tries these techniques on humans, I expect that a good two out of three subjects loses significant brain function as a result, rendering the whole idea infeasible. Severe brain injury tops my list of ways to destroy your quality of life. Screw living through abject tragedy, I would rather have it simple for once in my life and just fucking DIE, already. "Killed instantly" would be a welcome change from the norm.

/jzero
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How about "the soul dies along with the body but when the body is revived a new soul is born"?
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    In the name of science they need to let the dogs bite people and see if they, in turn, become zombies. If not, they're just cold dogs.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The animals are considered scientifically dead, as they stop breathing and have no heartbeat or brain activity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vig: Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation helps to circulate oxygen to the brain, to prevent brain damage until the heart restarts or defibrillation is used. Brain damage doesn't occur until several minutes after the heart has stopped. That's not clinical death. This article states that there is no brain activity during the 3 hours. So Dr. Safar would have been more accurate in saying "delaying them from death with a possibility of reviving them, until help arrives".

jzero: good point. they say there is no brain damage in dogs. but did they study any changes in the dogs behavior patterns after the experiment? judging from the image, the dog is pissed. there is evidence of patients having alter perceptions of their surroundings after brain surgery. maybe KDR is on the something as well. what if you come back as something else. or all your memories and experiences are completely shuffled into nonsense. how would the synapses in your brain "remember" in which order to fire to maintain the individual that you were.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The neurons' chemistry won't be altered by the process so your memories and other brain functions will remain intact. Remember, it's not just your memories and personality that would suffer from brain alteration, you'd lose all brain-related capabilities such as movement, you'd be somewhere between braindead and REALLY bad stroke.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    ElysiumGX, heh, I hope you don't think the photo of the dog on that website is a photo of an actual dog used in the experiments? Hell, it looks like a stuffed dog in a diorama to me. Chances of it being an official photo are pretty small. And I'm guessing they did study the behaviour patterns of the dogs before and after the experiment - they're scientists, I doubt they'd just do a brain scan and say "Well, this all looks normal! Let's just ignore these dogs from now on."