iMag
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
iMag polycounter lvl 18

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The zoom is really cool, I like the way it transitions from one address to another.

There's also World Wind, though not as sexy as Google's it does seems to have more topo data.
    http://opensource.arc.nasa.gov/project.jsp?id=9

It seems like we're getting closer to the globe from Snow Crash...
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    This is really amazing to play with. I think I've got something to occupy me for the next few hours smile.gif
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    try these coordinates: 26.9198646528, 22.1052616531

what the hell is that in the middle of the desert? the circles are too perfect, I'm inclined to say they're artifacts from when the pictures were taken, but it does look like theres some sort of a settlement or something right at these coordinates, some sort of a camp. smile.gif

also looks like theres an airport nearby, anyone want to go check it out?
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    that totally freaked the shit out of me, what the hell is that?

answer

http://www.googlesightseeing.com/2005/06/27/desert-farming/
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Google bought this software (Keyhole) some time ago, glad to see its getting popular. http://maps.google.com uses that technology too I believe.

Go to the shore of California, theres a lot of ships there and a few come in from just 250' away at a crisp resolution.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    I'm probably missing the point but how is this different from maps.google.com? They just slapped the satellite images on a spehere.
    Still fun to play with though smile.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    The 'sphere' came first, as it was a part of the Keyhole program. Then came maps.google.com
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    its also 3D, with topography and on some major cities in the US, the buildings are modelled.

Search for Nelson British columbia. And wait for it to finish streaming to see how detailed the maps really are.

(BTW I love Neslon, one of my favourate places in canada)
  • tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    It is fantastic, what a time guzzler.

Used it to teach the kids what and where the countries of their grandparents are.

Niagra looks good, some strange thing up by the polar circle in russia, will post if i find it again, what good landmarks are modelled, i have only seen the terrain in 3d so far.

tpe
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i played with keyhole way back.. from what i remember the white house was blured out.. heh.. there is also a similar program from nasa.. it was a bit slower.. but from what i remember the images were much higher rez.. i zoomed into an airport and could read the text on the tail of the airplanes.. also could even make out the make and model of the cars on the road.. and you could look at diffent views.. like a topology map with differnt colors at different elevations..
  • tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    any idea why this place is so high res?

35°34'52.89"N
    3° 7'11.33"E

tpe
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    how do you punch in specific coords like that?

Anyways, they have some really high detail sat images of our office building wink.gif

pointer coords:
    39°30'56.48" N 119°46'41.44" W
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

The Earth At Night (Beta Temporarily Closed)

Welcome, frustrated would-be planet surfer.

We appreciate your interest in accessing 3D geospatial information, but due to the technical limitations of this beta launch, Google Earth has been forced to take a brief breather. Please check back with us soon.

Thanks,

The Google Earth Team

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh crap....
  • tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    I couldnt find out how to search for cords, bit naff really, i had to turn on the longditude and latitude grid in the view options or ctrl L.

The odd thing about the cords i was looking at were that they were in the middle of a north african desert, no town for miles, but two extra layers of detail with some kind of plant in it, i rekon its the some kind of area 51 wink.gif or a nuclear plant. Iraq has a pretty good amount of high detail too...

tpe
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    I would love to get my hands on the heightmaps/heightdata and textures from this thing. Anyone know how to extract them?
  • tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    I think that most of them are available free on line anyway, obviously they probably wont be organized in such an easily accessable way. try this from nasa, It has exactly the same data i think but soem bits are better and some worse, but it is open source and so is the data direct from nasa.

http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/

the hightmaps are probably also available as .dem files, that were originally given out for free by various geographic institutes, and then given away when you buy a commercial package (they wernt allowed to charge for the dem info its self). got to feed kids now but if i can find them later i will post a link

tpe
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    googlemaps.jpg

Juan, of course, being monster.

That was our old apartments, and you can clearly see Juan's old yellow truck. These must have been taken around 2001.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Haha, awesome that you found that, skanker... impressive detail!