Home General Discussion

thinking about a Dell m70 laptop

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
Im thinking of getting a dell precision m70 laptop.
Its for 3dsmax, photoshop and combustion.

Anyone out there have one, love one, hate one?

Replies

• -=Warhead=-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -=Warhead=- polycounter lvl 18
    Pricey
    I'm thinking baout getting a http://www.staples.com/catalog/configuration/bto_details.asp?PageType=1&cal_Sku=596682

Maybe a Dell XPS Gen 2.

Other then that, Just for 3dsmax and photoshop.. Its a good laptop.. I'll see if i can find a cheaper one/maybe better.

I just found this site, It might be helpful http://www.cnet.com/Top_10_notebooks_laptops/4520-6022_1-102337-3.html
  • Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
    hmmm. Interesting.
    So has anyone actually got one of these?

D
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i just got this puppy.. http://www.pctorque.com/3880.php

and it really rocks.. its handled evrything i have thrown at it without missing a beat.. was working on 4 differnt max files.. so i had 4 copies of max open and photoshop with 4 different textures.. also one of the copies of max was always rendering and still out preformed my work machine.. its got a decent price and can really handle the polies.. as soon as i got it i just started upping the iterations on turbosmooth to see what it could push.. 2 million poly models no prob.. bit of slowdown when i got it up to 4 million. and it was chugging at 8..i just wanted to see if it could push my zbush models when i imported them for baking normal maps.. and its a champ.. i highly recommend this laptop.. and if you got the money to throw down on a XPS i would recommend the high end model from sager.. its a beast and you will only get an hour of battery but you will also get a 6800 and better preformance than the XPS.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    uhm, u doin 4,000,000 polys+ with a 1.8 and a 6600 vid card?

im missing somethin here or?
    interested cus im kinda lookin at a laptop aswell
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    yep sure was.. ask poop he seen it..i wasnt doing anything to the model besides rotating it around.. but did no prob.. and with the centrinos its not like comparing a pentium 1.8 or an athlon.. i think the going conversion is something like add 30% to that number.. so a centrino running at 1.8 ghz is like 2.5 gzh preformance wise.. my work machine is a dell pentium 4 3 ghz and i have a 6600 in it and my laptop runs circles around it.. no question.
  • MRFlynn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRFlynn polycounter lvl 18
    Im thinkin about buyin a Acer Aspire 3022 model here, its budget solution that already owns my desktp (old indeed :P )
    shall be looking to g obuy it within 2 months soon as the mullah adds up.