PaK
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
PaK polycounter lvl 18
If you:

-want a job in the industry
-are willing to work hard to get what you want
-understand the basics of webpages and howto update content

Then I am willing to offer you webspace for free. There are a few catches designed to dissuade unmotiavted artists from wasting my bandwidth, my time and my money. The reason i'm doing this is the same reason polycount and 3dpalette started up in the first place....to create a home for game artists who show real promise. bascially we're just tryna give back to the community.

Contact me if this sounds like you. Email: rpatel@easel3d.net

-R

Replies

• steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    what will the urls look like? http://www.easel3d.net/~yourname?
    sounds like a sweet deal
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    That's really cool, Pak. Sending you an email now. I've just gotten started on a portfolio and could really use some webspace to host it.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    you're such a sweety. blush.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow that is really generous of you, hopefully it won't be squandered =)
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome Pak, very generous of you!
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    no it wont be easel3d.net, probably 3dpalette or something, it all depends if jonathan wants to hold onto the name still. It's my hope that we can get subdomains for everyone IE: XXXXX.3dpalette.XXX.

Whatever it will be it's definitely not going to be my domain easel3d.net.

-R
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Are there going to be ads on every page like GSN?
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    Sometimes I offer some of my PlanetGargoyle space too, i've got like 80gb of bandwidth waiting to be used.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    ads on the mainsite *if* I can't afford to run the bandwidth you guys will need. I doubt it'll even come to that. The goal isn't to make money here, as long as you guys understand that. I'm willing to spend $280 on bandwidth a month, above that it'll have to start generating some income.

-R
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    can i host torrent files, warez and pr0n installers? pretty please?

HEHE
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    PaK, you've got my support 110%.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    i can see it already,
    in flashing neon lights,
    attracting many people (and flies)

circusmidgetsex.3dpalette.com

peppi can pose for us oo ye o_o
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    paging killingpeople to this thread, so he can get off his chump-ass expired hosting and we can see his pretty pictures again smile.gif
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    It's looking good:

-We have the back end support that we need
    -We have the websopace that we need
    -We have the bandwidth to start

All i need now is the domains. Currently 3dpalette.com and 3dpalette.org have been registered by random people who aren't even using it. i'm sure they'll charge me a pretty penny. I sent the feelers out and we'll see what they say.

It wont be long now. The tentaive plan is to get the hosted sites up within 30 days, and the official website launch probably sometime in Sept. My bud Flasher will probably be ready to help sometime after sept. Mighty Pea is down, and I'll lean on you a bit dude it that's okay.

Anyone who was involved with skindom please chime in, I'd really appreciate all you're input and help if you are interested.

Flasher setup a tribute page here:

http://www.3dpalette.net

-R
  • MRFlynn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRFlynn polycounter lvl 18
    How are things going pak? I may be interested :P
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    jesus, 3dp brings back memories
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    that is wonderful.
    brings back a lot of memories as Marine said!
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    indeed, it was a shame skindom went straight down the toilet somehow...
    the absence of both skindom and 3dp left polycount the ONLY alternative, tho it was primary for me and always has been tongue.gif
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    /me chimes in
    Yeah, i saw that tribute page the other day, and i got all nostalgic, looking at it.
    I especially like how they list Marines website, and don't put any titles behind his name. Sort of like: look Scott, THEY'VE made it!
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I dont really have much time to help, but if you need anything, ask me anyway.
  • Badname
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badname polycounter lvl 18
    I wouldn't mind moving my existing page community wise. Also i got some folders with lot's of highres photo refs/textures I made floors, walls, cement, buildings, a boat and a sub(on dry land), wood ect.
    If you have any interest in email me i'd be happy to share them.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    awesome PaK, very cool of you man. if you need a favor, send me a message and i'll see what i can do smile.gif
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    Thx for the interest guys, I'm really exited too and it's great to see how many oldsk00lers remember what flasher and the rest did for the community as a whole.

If anyone knows where Sean Oliver, Shea or cable are, lemme know. i want to see how many oldsk00lers want to get back into the swing of things.

Ofciouyrse the idea is to help the up-and-commers have a home to pimp their stuff, a resource to learn howto do things, and an archieve of photo ref, tools and such.

I would like to shy away from game developer art news as polycount covers that, and I don't think messageboards would be appropriate as there is polycount for that too.

The old 3dp had its stregths and we'll just play towards those.

I have a ton of great ideas other than just a hub for portfolio sites. I'd like to take everything I've learned over the last 7 years and put the revelevent stuff online, I want the oldsk00lers who've got something to share to lend a hand too if they are up to it. I'll make a list of areas where we need help and email the people who've contacted me over the last week and those who've chimed in here on this thread.

I think if I'm organized and have enough help this won't be a pipe dream but a very successful online resource for budding game artists.

If you've emailed me recently I wanted to let you know that I am making a list of the people who are interested and will get a mailing list going soon.

thx for all the support, it'll be worth it!

-R
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    3dpalette forevah!
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone who is interested in aquiring a hosting at 3dp please send me an email to rpatel@easel3d.net with:

-some samples zipped up or linked on the web of the kind of game art assets you like to make.

-the plans you have for your website, how it will be unique and special. if it wont be unique and special that's okay too, so long as your addition is a relevent contribution to the 3dp network.

-a little about yourself and the plans you have for your own future, especially if it involves making games.

Chances are if you don't plan on getting a job in the games industry this might not be the home for you, but I can't lay down crazy roadblocks like that but as long as you all understand what the 'idea' of 3dpalette is/was then you'll have an idea about the community we're trying to create here, and ultimatly that will determin if you're website and contribution would be a good match.

We will have host of different tools to make reoccuring updates easy to complete. Unique updates with speical content will be easy to update aswell.

Things are moving fast and there is a limited amount of bandwidth. We'll choose the people with the most need, some talent, but above all the most drive to succeed. If you aren't a superstar yet that's okay! But if you aren't busting yiour ass to get there then this isn't going to be the place for you.

I figured summer time is a good time to gather our ideas and grind till sept to launch the 3dp network.

-R
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm just wondering, this isn't just geared towards 3D, is it? Because i would be putting up a fair amount of conceptart, and textures as well, if i where to get hosted.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    All game art that relates to 3D games.

I have a big email i'm gunna send out to everyone who has expressed interest. Either tonight or tommorow night. I am very busy this week but i'm trying not to lose everyones attention.

-R
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    It's official now, 3dpalette.ca and 3dpalette.net belong to the founders of the origional network.

The lead artist over at netZero, Sean oliver, one of the origional 3dp members is going to design our site for us. This is a real honor, as Sean is at the top of his game, and now he's going to help get us to the top of ours...again.

I'm very optimisitic now.

-R
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome, glad you got that domain back, PaK.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    Update:

-Mike Hoopes has completed a Zbrush2 tutorial for me focusing on normal map creation for walltextures. I asked him to cater it to organic textures that are not easily modeled in a traditional 3d app and producing better effects than the nvidia plugin for photoshop.

-I have started a glossary of terms for 3D art tech. It will be searchable in time for launch hopefully.

-I have completed a normal mapping tutorial catered towards painting height maps designed to work well with the nvidia photoshop plugin.

-I have also written a tutorial on painting parallax maps.

<u>Tutorials in the pipe:</u>

-Mike Buck over at Epic is going to do some work for us describing his techinques concerning hi-poly modeling, zbrush and texturing.

-I have started a tutorial on preping speculartity maps for lighting. This tutorial will also explore the methods I have learned and discovered to properly light a scene using PPL tech.

-I have developed a very quick and easy technique to remove baked shadows from a old school texture and get it ready for the diffuse channel in a PPL material.

-I have some plans for advanced normal mapping tutorials.

-I have started a tutorial on unwrapping organic environment assets that light properly in a PPL engine.

-Walk through of kaldera, 3DMax7 normal map creation and Polybump normal map tools. Also howto model proper meshes that bake properly.

Perhaps I'll do a new section of PPL mesh building conventions too, but there is alotta admin work to do to get the site launched so,...I might have to push these last two tasks on someone else.

<u>Requests:</u>

-I know very little about 3D animation, and have no one to cover these types of tutorials. if you can help me, please send me an email rpatel@easel3d.net

-I plan on begging Rick to do some rigging tutorials. If you are willing to help me harrass his ass, please do so!

I'll keep you guys updated as things progress. If I haven't emailed you and you are expecting to hear from me i promise I haven't forgotten about you, I'm just terribly busy.

-R
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    All the user accounts were made tonight:

If you didn't get your login ID let me know, I might have missed you.

launch of the hosted sites is targeted a month from now.
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Ehm, I think that something went wrong with the mail, please check your inbox PaK.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye, it went VERY mental. Glad it wasn't just me.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Heheh - yeah I've gotten over 3000 e-mails this morning already! Luckily most of them are going straight into my Bulk Mail folder though - still had a surprise when I got up to find I had 200 new e-mails... and not one of them from a Nigerian prince offering to split his share of 20 million dollars inheritance with me if I send my bank details! wink.gif
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, i guess i don't know whtf im doing regarding the email system :P

I deleted all our email redirects. It went NUTS when i went to sleep. I hope they stop, lemme know if they do.

-R
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, I'm still recieving 'em and I think I recieved an email I really shouldn't have.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    I told the sys admin about this. I also changed the passwords.
    He fixed the problem and no one should be recieving this email loop. Anymore.

Sorry guys, this whole email account creatuion thing went bad, I dunno how it works.

-R
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Well, here's what I whipped up in about 30 minutes. Is my obsession with that weird yellowish-orange color a bad thing?
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since you're not replaying to my email, i'll take it you're having email trouble, so:
    I can't log in (and neither can razorbladder), is there something we're doing wrong, or could it be that everything's just not entirely set up yet?
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I didn't get spammed with emails. In fact, I haven't gotten any. I feel left out.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Question for ya PaK:
    Since this is geared toward giving the lil' guy a leg up, how much HTML and web page building will they have to do? Is there going to be a standard, easy to update format for them to use right out of the can? I know for someone who is just getting starting it can be a little over whelming to learn a paint program, a hand full of 3D apps and plugin's AND teach yourself web page building. I know these are things I struggle with and my job gives me fair amount of free time to read up on these these. I remember when I was working 40 full hours, going to school and trying to learn this stuff.

If they don't have an easy format to use until they can come up with something better, it could be a road block to them working on the skills they need to work on?
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm sure there will be a few templates available. And I'm sure a few folk here will donate some designs. Wont you?
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, what Rick said. UI would also like Shane to write up a simple portfolio updater for the hosted sites.

-R