Home General Discussion

Land of the Dead tomorrow!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
The majorly under-hyped 4th installment of the living dead movies, Land of the Dead, is hitting the theaters tomorrow! I'd love to see it but my work schedule interferes, I'll be hitting it up this weekend.

Here's the unrated trailer

Replies

• Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    I love zombie movies laugh.gif
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I know, my girlfriend and I are so hyped to see it tomorrow!

Got a nice glimpse at what it will be like from the IFC Special Dream of the Dead. (I must say that the fact that the zombies use guns is a little bit upsetting to me)

And then next week, Undead comes out in US Theaters!
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    And then next week, Undead comes out in US Theaters!

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, 4 of them.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    yay! zombies! yay! asia argento! wink.gif

i'd like to go see it but i'm going to see batman: begins saturday then war of the worlds next week. so land of the dead will have to wait a couple weeks.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    i've got my ticket, cant wait for this one. I was almost an extra while they were filming in toronto, but was called a couple hours before i was set to be there saying they no longer needed me.. Damn, i wanted to eat some brains.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im trying to make my girlfriend go because she is the MOST squeamish person and was scared of the grudge so i want to see her freak the fuck out.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    mishra: maybe not the best idea as land of the dead is supposed to have all kinds of crazy over the top eviscerations and general goriness. that's not really scary, it'll just end up being completely revolting to her and neither of you will enjoy watching the movie.

personally, i've seem Romero's previous work and am mildly looking forward to it--though honestly his overrated 'social criticism' tends to get in the way of otherwise interesting characters and survival scenarios. which is why i think i like a lot of the 'new school' zombie films better...

however: given that Simon Pegg and Nick Frost (Shaun and Ed in Shaun of the Dead) are said to make cameo appearances as zombies in the film... you may well consider my ticket purchased! smile.gif
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Gotta agree with Gauss, while it's always nice to see some zombie smashing, the social commentaries are quite awful (save the first one) and the acting is atrocious (again, save the first... for the most part). I still have nightmares about that 'mad scientist' experiementing with that zombie using headphones... that was near Manos Hands of Fate quality.

All the same, this one will serve as an entertaining matinee on a rainy day. Maybe I'll finally get my wish and someone in this film will call someone else 'The Master of All Lockpicking' right before they split up. Please.....!
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    however: given that Simon Pegg and Nick Frost (Shaun and Ed in Shaun of the Dead) are said to make cameo appearances as zombies in the film...

[/ QUOTE ]

wha..wha....WHAT?!

hootie hoo!
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    im trying to make my girlfriend go because she is the MOST squeamish person and was scared of the grudge so i want to see her freak the fuck out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, my Girlfriend is just as much of a gorehound as I am!

Though yeah Simon and Nick got the cameo because Romero liked Shaun of the Dead so much. Tom Savini also gets a cameo in the movie as the zombie of the character he was in Dawn of the Dead.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    kub: listen boy, listen! hooooootie-hooooooooo!
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My god, what a let down of a movie...

The makeup effects were superb! The feeding scenes were beyond wonderful! Greg Nicatero did an amazing job! (I especially like the added detail of the nose bone protruding a bit out of the decaying nose). The Story was so-so, I wouldn't expect much from a zombie movie, though it felt like Romero was trying too much. The Zombie's behavior, utter bullshit, that's all I can say. I am a total elitest when it comes to zombies. I was happy that they couldn't run, but they could use fucking guns, and had fucking Frankenstien as their leader!

The Simon and Nick cameo was pretty good.

So the movie satisfied my tastes for gore, but everything else left me feeling empty and wanting those effects, but a much better story. I should have guess though, the ending od Day of the Dead was almsot perfect foreshadowing as to what would be in this film, and I'm talking about Bub (If you've seen Day of the Dead, you'll know what I'm talking about).
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    You say its a letdown, but you praise it lots?
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I say the movie was a let down, but the visual & make up effects in it were wonderful.
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    easily one of the worst movies I have seen in a long time

Words cannot describe how bad it was, it made me feel ill afterwards because I felt like I wasted my money to see pure fucking campy garbage. I dunno about you, but isnt the whole thing about zombies the MINDLESSNESS Im a supporter of the new Dawn of the dead fast zombies, but they atleast kept them STUPID. This was insulting to the undead everywhere. It was so fucking bad. How the fuck does some zombie pick up a fucking gun, sling it over it's shoulder and then lead one of the most unbelievable army of the undead to ever appear on the silver screen. It was an insult to filmmakers everwhere. Everytime the zombies appeared on screen it was embarassing. The zombie eating and gore wasnt even believable.

I cannot stress how much everyone should avoid this movie
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    SO FREAKIN BAD OMFG
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    hmm.. thanks for the heads up guys. looked like a b-grade peice of shit, and it's good to know it's not worth the price of a ticket. thanks smile.gifsmile.gif

but for the life of me, i don't understand why someone would want to see gore for the sake of it's self.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meh i thought it was ok. they should have spent a lot more time on how people in fiddlers green lived, what the did up there, how everyone was coping etc instead of focusing on driving around in the woods shooting shit.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well John, I guess it's because I'm a sadist...I just love the stuff. Haha!
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Moz: i would tend to agree with you, as stated before i'm very much a fan of 'new school' zombies... but you really can't get on Romero's case for doing what he wants to do. much as Tolkien more or less defined modern fantasy, Romero basically created the zombie genre and he can do with it what he pleases.
    as Neo God points out, if you've seen the first set of films zombies acting with glimmers of previous intelligence has long been foreshadowed.. to say nothing of the fact that the zombies themselves tend to be seen as more sympathetic than the survivors when it's a Romero movie. the poster for the film should also have been a considerable hint.

so no, i don't think it's an 'insult to filmmakers everywhere' for the man who made the first zombie movies to treat zombies as he pleases. doesn't mean you have to like it--new school zombie movies all the way if you ask me--but it's certainly within his creative right to do whatever he wants.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone who quotes zombie movies and can spout off trivia (the guts in Day of the Dead were rotten pig guts!!) will love this movie. The rest of you people are "normals" and we don't understand you.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    just saw it, and i liked it, i have no problems with zombies learning, i only wish they would have made it make more sense, since before thir patters were mostly instinct based, i owuld have liked to se a soldier zombie first rember to use guns, and others pick it up from watching him. something like that
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Anyone who quotes zombie movies and can spout off trivia (the guts in Day of the Dead were rotten pig guts!!) will love this movie. The rest of you people are "normals" and we don't understand you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bullshit, I take a lot of offense to that. I disliked it, and I know the trivia. I was Romero Zealot until I saw this movie, and realized he's gone senile. The movie didn't even take place in PA! Though the city was supposedly modeled after Pittsburgh.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bah, Day of the Dead was in Florida.

ok, I can admit the movie had some problems... what's with people aging 100 years when they become a fresh zombie!? And why can't Romero settle on a zombification time, they mention in LOTD that it takes a few hours while the previous movies made you believe it took a few days.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    alright finally actually saw the movie and was pleasantly surprised. i put it as a close third behind romero's night and dawn... most pleased in that the commentary was sharp but not too obvious or preachy; Romero has definitely refined his filmmaking considerably in this respect. the savini cameo as well as the simon pegg and nick frost cameos were real treats. the love angle was tastefully underplayed.

partially because i figured on what to expect on account of 'Bub' in 'Day', but overall i wasn't bothered one bit by the zombie learning in evidence. monkeys can find and use tools--a human zombie while bereft of all but a faint residue of their former intelligence and functionality should still be able to perform such basic tasks. shooting a gun is a little bit of a stretch, but hey, we see guns being shot all our life, shouldn't we remember them in death? smile.gif

jason, in the film the only mention of zombification time is the main character stating that his younger brother took only about an hour to turn. i think it's abundantly clear from the previous films and typical zombie canon that the age/strength of the person, as well as willpower, and especially the severity of the bite are the important factors. say the undisclosed age of the 'younger brother' was very young, and/or combined with a very severe bite would readily account for him turning in less than an hour. Cholo, in Land, is an adult male with a relatively superficial wound and though time progression isn't exactly clear, it possibly took him several hours to turn even with a pre-existing bullet wound. like a lot of medical afflictions, zombification is quite variable in its time-to-full-onset smile.gif