Home General Discussion

New York

Daz
Daz
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Daz polycounter lvl 18
Just bought a ticket for the weekend. I'm pretty excited since it's my first trip, and I'm seeing my old roomate from London who I haven't hung out with in a long time.

So I only have 2 days. What are the MUST see's ?!

Replies

• pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Im sure your asking about things that might not be obvious like The Statue of Libety and The empire state building or central park ...?

I'd go see Marvel Comics ..that's the only thing I can think of that might not be mentioned by a million new york city tourist websites on the web
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    just wander around and stare at the huge freaking buildings.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    The Metropolitan Art Museum and Time Square, 2 must sees!
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Ask Hunter, as he's a native. But other than that, I'd suggest the Intrepid Museaum, oh Hell nothing but Museums. The Met, The Guggenheim, all sorts. and as to eats, they eat a lot better there, than here, our food is bland if its's not real Mexican.

Scott
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Check your private mail.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Met is intense, a must-see for any artist. Though you'll be disappointed if you only have a day (or two). Anyhow, great museums tire me out, sensory overload. Have a good time. The Frick (museum) is also awesome, if you like the masters.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe a cheesy thing to do but going up the Empire State Building at night was really cool. It was open then up to about 11pm.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Maybe a cheesy thing to do but going up the Empire State Building at night was really cool. It was open then up to about 11pm.

[/ QUOTE ]

you call 11pm night? you werent in new york long enough
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    he ment "when it was dark"...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Go to Wo Hop, it's the CBGB of chinese takeout
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    hashahahahahaha daz u fucker, I was in NY visiting my family last week hehe. well umm check out the city, union square (14t st) is pretty cool (check out forbidden planet there), greenwich village is cool, theres some fun shit there like around bleeker street, then you know you got times square thats a sight to see. As far as nightlife you gotta check out this club called limelight, that shit is crazy, I can't remember the address off the top of my head, look it up.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I stayed in the village it was cool. Don't do the Broadway/42nd Street thing, it's muff.

Arlenes Grocery is a superb nightspot.

Kid Robot is a pish toy shop, but Toy Tokyo is fantastic.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    The MET for a variety of art through the ages...up to I believe the Renaissance. The Frick collection has more renaissance/enlightenment time-period work, and if you're into modern art you can check out the MoMA, they're all pretty-much in and around NYC. And if you come to LI, you can probably go see where Acclaim used to be before they went bankrupt...but thats not as exciting...

Ohh, and BTW, try our pizza...
  • Hunter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hunter polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm sorry I missed this post until now.. So far everything mentioned is right on.. Although ONE weekend certainly isnt enough to take in 1% of the things to do.. I wish you had gotten in touch with me personally.. Hell I would have met you somewhere and took you around myself. Hell I could have given you a bulletproof vest and taken you out on a real NYPD ride a long where we coulda kicked the crap.. er I mean served the fine citizens of Brooklyn.. (j/k people..)

Mr. Rockstar.. you're another one.. next time a polycounter is going to visit NYC, drop me a line.. Im actually going to be flying out to South Carolina (tomorrow morning (6-23)to surprise my dad with a belated fathers day visit. But.. I will be home and on vacation from next thursday through the 4th of July weekend.

PS Times square is always one of the main places people like to visit and usually talk about when they are in NY.. in a way its sort of in the middle of all the other things to do..

Central Park, Statue of Liberty, the Intrepid, Museums (Natural History, Planetarium, Modern Art etc) Union square (near 14th street on the east side) is always good too (as mentioned) the Forbidden Planet is a pretty wild comic / collectible store (if my memory serves me correctly) and if you are looking for a show see who Irving Plaza has booked for the weekend. (small concert venue) Try a broadway show, you can sometimes get tickets for sameday shows at less than half off. or check out live broadcasts of MTV / TRL, the Late show with David letterman, etc.. For the latter you usually need tickets ahead of time, but occasionally people are giving them away out front.. (rare though) Of course theres always spending some money in the stores, which there are never a shortage of..

Hmm I cant think of too much more at the moment.. but for anyones NEXT trip, look me up..
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    We've got one day here and not another minute
    To see the famous sights!

We'll find the romance and danger waiting in it
    Beneath the Broadway lights;
    But we've hair on our chests
    So what we like the best are the nights
    Sights! Lights! Nights!

New York, New York, a helluva town.
    The Bronx is up, but the Battery's down.
    The people ride in a hole in the groun'.
    New York, New York, it's a helluva town!

The famous places to visit are so many,
    Or so the guidebooks say.
    I promised Daddy I wouldn't miss on any.
    And we have just one day.
    Got to see the whole town
    From Yonkers on down to the Bay.

In just one day!

New York, New York, a visitor's place,
    Where no one lives on account of the pace,
    But seven millions are screaming for space.
    New York, New York, it's a visitor's place!

Manhattan women are dressed in silk and satin,
    Or so the fellas say;
    There's just one thing that's important in Manhattan,
    When you have just one day;
    Gotta pick up a date...

Maybe seven...

Or eight
    On your way.

In just one day!

New York, New York, a helluva town.
    The people ride in a hole in the groun'.
    New York, New York, it's a helluva town!!

wink.gif
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hmm sorry I missed this post until now.. So far everything mentioned is right on.. Although ONE weekend certainly isnt enough to take in 1% of the things to do.. I wish you had gotten in touch with me personally.. Hell I would have met you somewhere and took you around myself. Hell I could have given you a bulletproof vest and taken you out on a real NYPD ride a long where we coulda kicked the crap.. er I mean served the fine citizens of Brooklyn.. (j/k people..)

Mr. Rockstar.. you're another one.. next time a polycounter is going to visit NYC, drop me a line.. Im actually going to be flying out to South Carolina (tomorrow morning (6-23)to surprise my dad with a belated fathers day visit. But.. I will be home and on vacation from next thursday through the 4th of July weekend.

PS Times square is always one of the main places people like to visit and usually talk about when they are in NY.. in a way its sort of in the middle of all the other things to do..

Central Park, Statue of Liberty, the Intrepid, Museums (Natural History, Planetarium, Modern Art etc) Union square (near 14th street on the east side) is always good too (as mentioned) the Forbidden Planet is a pretty wild comic / collectible store (if my memory serves me correctly) and if you are looking for a show see who Irving Plaza has booked for the weekend. (small concert venue) Try a broadway show, you can sometimes get tickets for sameday shows at less than half off. or check out live broadcasts of MTV / TRL, the Late show with David letterman, etc.. For the latter you usually need tickets ahead of time, but occasionally people are giving them away out front.. (rare though) Of course theres always spending some money in the stores, which there are never a shortage of..

Hmm I cant think of too much more at the moment.. but for anyones NEXT trip, look me up..

[/ QUOTE ]

i have lived here since i was 5 and havent done most of the stuff on that list. except gone to union square and forbidden planet. my friend is actually banned from forbidden planet for throwing a brick through a window there. twice. 3 years apart.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't bother with Central Park. If I lived there, I'd use it, but as a tourist attraction, I'd rate it as massive field. Unless you plan to go walking, boating or play baseball I'd give it a miss, except as a shortcut from the Guggenheim to the Met.

As for Times Square: I'd avoid it too as its just lights, tourists and cheap crap. If you want to go shopping you can do it in any city with as much choice and less chaos. If you want to go shopping for interesting things, Times Square area isn't the place.

I love the city, and can't wait to go back.

Hunter, I had some of your guys and ex-workers show me around, great guys.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Well, thanks all. Obviously I realise I aint gonna cram it all into 2 days, but I'll try smile.gif Hunter, heck I'd take you up on that offer some other time!!!
    Outta here tomorrow am! w00t!
  • Hunter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hunter polycounter lvl 18
    Daz, anytime man, let me know..

Meanwhile.. how was it ?? What did you wind up doing ??
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Goddam it was HOT! But yeah, just had a totally awesome time. Loved the feel to the place. I was suprised how bits of it felt like London actually. Only much, MUCH taller smile.gif. Did ALOT of walking actually. Was staying in lower Manhattan. Battery park, not a couple of blocks from the WTC, so that was really strange to experience. Sat night we got the subway to Brooklyn, then walked all the way back over the Brooklyn bridge ( wow, some view ) to Battery Park. Then went for eats and beers in the Greenwich village ( some people watching to be done there! ) and the East village and got back at 6.30 am smile.gif That tended to fuck up sunday a bit but ah well, still managed to take in the MOMA and central park and a lot of other stuff.
    But yeah, wow. I fricking loved that town smile.gif Why isn't there more of a games industry over there?!
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18

That was interesting, but tell us more! MORE MORE!
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

But yeah, wow. I fricking loved that town smile.gif Why isn't there more of a games industry over there?!

[/ QUOTE ]

rent is sky high in most areas, and taxes are high too. 8.625%
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Well yeah, but so is London, and theres plenty of games co.s there.
    Btw, I was blown away by how many good looking women live in your town. Seriously, I didn't know where to look after a while. It almost got annoying. And I've just come back to SF! Jeez the contrast couldn't be greater frown.gif
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    I really think the only reason there isn't more game companies is access to programers . Silicon valley had all the technology and programers in the 80's and 90's so I guess the game shops wanted access to them ..that's my guess anyways what do you think ?? So the woman are a lot better in New York then California ??? Im suprised ...
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Im not sure of the reason why a lot of games developers sprung up in the bay area, cos its pretty damn expensive to live here.

As for the women, hell yeah! As some girl put it to me in a bar on saturday night 'New York is a girls town, and SF is a guys town' and I think I know what she means. SF is crap for nightlife and there are always waaaaayy more guys out than girls, and the exact opposite seemed to be true for NY. LA is pretty good obviously, but you need to be into that whole fake titty bimbo look which doesn't really do it for me. The women of NY are far classier. I've now sounded like a completely sexist pig! Not my fault goddamit, the product of living in a town where girls are in short supply Im afraid! smile.gif