Home General Discussion

Carpal Tunnel - any of you suffer from it?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
I started developing Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, when I was working at a glass factory in Minnesota. The way we had to work in the cutting department was rough, to say the least.

Anyways though, I wanted to know if any of you suffer from this, or if you've had surgery to correct it. Mine has been particularly painfull lately, and I'm considering an operation to remedy it.

I'd like to know what the general price range is for such an operation.

Replies

• Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I had it for 4 years, the pain kept growing.
    Go to the doctor straight away and see if you can get away with the steroid injection treatment.

I had full carpal tunnel release surgery on both hands/wrists. It cost about $3k per hand.

The operation is near painless apart from the injections into the palm to numb you initially; it takes 20 mins.
    The first 2weeks is spent in a cast that reduces your hands to a paw like lump. Once the cast is removed you are looking at 2months of therapy then a further 6 months of recovery time where you are not meant to push your hand or hands too much because the nerves takes a long time to grow back.

It's an ordeal, its expensive but depending on how far along you are, it IS worth it. I was lucky enough to have almost full coverage with my medical plan but it took a chunk out of my life and i wasn't in an ideal recovery situation in that i had to go into crunch mode at work too soon and i am back to being borderline carpal tunnel again.

So bear all this in mind.

r.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    oh im getting there, believe me. using a computer since i was 4 is definitely going to have a negative impact.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    best advice is what ror said, if it starts hurting see a doctor right away. Also just keep your best posture possible, it pays off really. After being in crunch mode for over 6 months i seriously had to conciously keep a good posture.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I thought I was developing it a couple years back. Since then I've been very careful. I use a natural split keyboard...all the time. I've made a habit of resting my hands in my lap when I'm not using them. Use a tablet for easy point and click stuff. Do stretches, and my day job provides me with and nice arm workout. I try to keep a nice posture, or lean back regularly. Now and then I get the occasional pinch between my thumb and index that tells me I've had enough gaming for the day. I try to stay aware of warning signs. My gf is planning to specialize in a treatment to break up scare tissue and increase flexibility within the hands.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I'm curious about the symptoms of carpal tunnel. While I was doing factory work at Frieghtliner about 10 years ago, I would wake up at night with my drill / riveter hand in excruciating pain. It was so bad I had to quit my job there after two weeks. Anymore I don't really feel any pain, but my hands tend to feel as if they have fallen asleep quite a often. This has been going on for several years but does not seem to have gotten any worse. Does this sound like carpal tunnel to those of you who have experienced it?

I guess maybe I should talk to my doctor about it next time I'm in for something.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    What are the symptoms?

Symptoms include aching, tingling, pins and needles, burning, numbness or pain in the hand and in the digits served by the median nerve – the thumb, the index and middle fingers, and part of the ring finger (see diagram, above). In time, symptoms can spread to the arm and shoulder.

These symptoms tend to be worse at night or first thing in the morning and are often made worse by strenuous wrist movements.

Carpal tunnel syndrome can affect one or both hands, and the severity of the symptoms can vary. The symptoms may be mild or only occur from time to time. As the condition worsens, symptoms may become constant. The hand muscles may become weakened, making it difficult to grip objects, and there may be permanent loss of feeling. Fine finger movements, such as writing, may become more difficult.

there's more info on this site, i recommend anyone who works at a computer for long periods of time read up on this stuff you make a living with your hands...treat them with care smile.gif

http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/carpal_tunnel.html
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I do have a little pain near my hands sometimes but not the kind that description mentions. Means I've probably got something else (RSI?). The tendons leading from my arm to my wrist hurt after prolonged typing sometimes. Works to hold the arm in a posture that's the complete opposite of the typing position.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Get a Natural Split Keyboard... I've been using PC's since I was 7 years old and have been using the Natural Split design for about 80% of the time I've been on a computer - my wrists are fine.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    this thead appears about as often as I get it
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Where's my tat mister!
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    How does a natural split keyboard help? I've always seen those as anti-ergonomic (I think thats the word ("Not natural")). I have no problems as of yet with just a plain old keyboard.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I was making water skis at HO sports. The air tools we used had a jackhammer effect on everyones wrists which caused just about everyone that worked there for more than 3 months to develop Capal Tunnel, to some degree. I was there for 2 years. I can vouch for the injections they work, its the only reason I lasted that long. The guys I worked with, who never did anything about the wrist pain are in pretty iffy shape. Now we all do roughly the same job (computer work) and one guy has it so bad he is considering surgery.

At my last job there was an older lady 57-ish who let it go for so long when she did do something about it, the surgery helped but didn't do enough. Her recovery time was roughly 2 years and she ended up having many more surgeries, her Dr said any more would be pointless. Her hands where pretty much useless by the time I met her, which was 3 years after her last surgery. She never complained much but I could see it had to be hell.

I never want to see anyone else that bad, ever, espeically me. Which is the road I am sure I would have gone down after hammering the crap out of my wrists then taking computer jobs, IF I had not done something about it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AZ, my symtoms where close to yours but my numbness would start out as pain where my thumb meets my wrist and spread across my wrist and down my hand. I would wake up and not be able to pick things up for 5-10 min which made getting a glass of water to take some pain killers, hard. The best way I can discribe it when that would happen was "dead hands" or hand cramps but it didn't feel like a muscle cramp, it was different, if that makes any sense. After I started the injections and found a different job AND did some PT I didn't have to worry about not being able to grip things in the mornings or if I woke up at night. It has been about 8 years.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig: By the way, modern console controllers with their "rumble" crap have the same effect as a jackhammer on your wrists after prolonged usage.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Since my err "typing" skills arent the best, nor do I have the right hand placement, Im not so worried about cp from a keyboard vs a mouse.

Was your symptoms worse in your mouse hand Ror and those who had it from working in 3d? Did you try alternate input methods like those 3d pucks? Did you use a wrist pad?

What I try to do is use chairs with really high arms that make the angle between my hands and desktop less. I also when I feel my mouse hand become tired, use a alternate track ball in my lefty.
  • Prs-Phil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prs-Phil polycounter lvl 18
    hmmm, I´ve had these problems latley and I was allready wondering, it was very hard to draw for me to. I´ll have it checked at a doctors.

Thx guys for the info, I´m getting myself a wristpad for my mouse
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hadn't thought of that I totally agree, everyone switch off your rumble! I don't own rumble controllers. Mostly for the fact that they break imersion rather than add to it.

The equipment I was using was alot wrose than a rumble pack going off. So don't think that just because you touched a rumble pack you need injections. We where using the weight of our bodies on our wrists to force screws and metal inserts into heavy pastic, thick rubber and allumimum. Using 1,500rpm screw guns, they where freakin fast. Screw depth was controlled by the gears inside the gun and where set to slip once it hits a certain level of restistance. It would ratchet not allowing you to over sink the screw. We where told to not clench our teeth or get a mouth guard after one of the old timers shattered a tooth. I blamed bad oral higiene but he got a settlement ouf of the company... I used my tounge (went numb all the time) or ate sunflower seeds.

We looked like this guy minus the long shaft and we worked at mid thigh height at a bench. Its not like my case is unique just about anyone that uses air tools for prolonged periods of time faces the same thing. We did that 40-60hrs a week depending on what orders had to be filled and what season it was. I never turned down overtime and I dept hopped all the time to help where I could. It was amazing amounts of money for my first job.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    one more thing... christ I am long winded...

It has been my experience, might not be true for everyone, but wrist guards and braces did provide relief but if i relied on them too much it would weaken my wrist too much and it felt like it was doing more harm than good or making it hard to work without the brace.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, rumble is much lower intensity than a jackhammer, obviously, but it's not something you'd usually suspect and would probably use for prolonged periods without precaution. Also, a gamer probably doesn't have any proper training on how to deal with CTS.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I've experienced weird tingling sensation in my hand before, went to the doctor and he recommended a graphics tablet hehe. well, I can't get used to it in max so I got a mouse pad with a cool squishy gel bit, it rocks. Get one even if you dont have any problems, so comfy :]
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    i used to get the problems, but i got a better desk with a proper hight and now im fine.

-R
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Post deleted by Vig
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Seems like we are all more or less familiar with that thing... I sometimes feel a bit of heat in the wrist, no pain tho. If that happens I try to stop working for a while and do something else.

I hate typing since it requires you to hold your hands in mid hair without a base to rely upon, as opposed to natural writing that allows you to fully pose your hands. But I hold pens and styluses rather tight hence I still need to practice at beeing more loose and relaxed ! Or maybe I'm doing something silly? It has always seemed weird and unnatural to me. I can't type for a long period of time, and I must relax every 10 mins when I write smile.gif

The scary thing is the multiple factors that can cause CT. Mouse, keyboard, desk edge...

I've always been wondering if the different mouse actions are involved too. Like, is 'drag, hold and drop' worse than 'click to drag, release to move, click again to drop' ?

I personnaly feel like applicaitons such as Max are somehow wrong from the ergonomic POV since you have to hold down mousebuttons for everything, causing tension in the hand.

While a programm like Wings3D which fully relies on "free" mouse moves (click to enter mouse mode, click again to exit) feel MUCH more light and natural to me. I wish one could setup all that freely in every programm requiring heavy mouse input. Any thoughts on this?

Desk setup seems crucial too. Recently bought some rough wooden deskfeet I can saw down to my likins in order to get the right height out of them. It's a bit gross on the looks but if it helps, it helps smile.gif I also enjoy to use my tablet at a lower level, on another light desk that I put just under my main desk. This way the arm is totally relaxed and sits at the good 'right angle' position.

I've heard that using a tennisman wrist things can help too. Like, they provide a constant "higher" wrist position similar to what gelpads offer, but it follows you everywhere you go on the desk.

A cool tip is to use a kitchen timer while working. This way you won't forget when you are supposed to stop and relax for a while.

I hope the best recovery to everyone suffering from this sucker.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hm, interesting. Blender uses only clicks, you can use dragging for going to the last transformation mode you used but you can release immediately after it recognizes your intention.

I also prefer middle-mouse scrolling in text to the mousewheel, it's much smoother but sadly I can't use it as much as I'd like anymore because my Logitech mouse tends to move the cursor to the edge of the screen sometimes, causing extremely fast scrolling.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    I've just started to get twinges in my right wrist, so I'm getting a powerball - http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=pri&page=title&r=GADG&title=610688

..to try and exercise as I work. A programmer colleague says it's helped him a lot. Using my tablet pen more - for general work - is helping too. I feel for people like Ror though, I can only imagine how crippling this could be.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Hm. I've had wrist pain for a while now. Perhaps I should get it checked out.

I've heard talk of a pistol grip typedmouse that allows your hand to remain in a vertical position rtaher than the normal, RSI inducing horizontal style. Has anyone tried these out. are they worth it?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    While a programm like Wings3D which fully relies on "free" mouse moves (click to enter mouse mode, click again to exit) feel MUCH more light and natural to me. I wish one could setup all that freely in every programm requiring heavy mouse input. Any thoughts on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that. grin.gif
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    i remember modeling for HOURS with a mouse was a real pain, my hand would just be FUCKED UP. i switched to a tablet, don't have to go back and forth when I'm modeling/texturing, do everything with a tablet. lower button set to middle click, top button set to right click... it works really really well, my hands feel fine smile.gif and its actually faster to model that way too, takes a little bit of getting used to, but its worth it, and i really like how it feels, very natural and painless.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I have a little friend called gerald who obeys all my commands, so my hands never suffer!!