Home Technical Talk

Transformers: The Concepts and Engineering behind

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
Im trying to design a vehicle for a mod that has two "form factors". Kinda having a hard time visualizing start to finish. Anyone know or have experience on how a toy is designed from going to a to b? Do they start out with 2 totally different ideas, and then combine them? Or do they have a more "central" idea.

This isn't coming across right. Let me rephrase. I have only 2 written concepts of what this vechicle can do (not what it looks like) in both form factors. Should I decide what I want 1 specific form factor to look like and then make the other form factor fit what I come up with? Or should I kinda try to work on them both at once?

I keep stumbling like where parts are hidden, will X move up, or split. How does it hinge. What does the exposed interior have. Will the driver suddenly become exposed?

How do I make sure my "tolerences" between parts will work (ie build it in 3d,bone, and then see that X hits Y). I have been playing around with clay for this, but this only gives an idea since a 4" model mashed together isnt the same.

My closest example given was the Leviathon from UT2K4. Its basically supposed to go from some kind of land vehicle into a large stationary turret/cannon with a pilot and side gunner. Though the Leviathon is a neat, from what this gun does, it really needs even a much more drastic change (god Im going to hate having to bone it).

Anyone have to design and make anything like this before? What was your process?

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18

I've modeled and designed a few transformers. Since transformers are vehicle > robot, I started by modeling the the vehicle. I had a general idea of parts that would move in the transformation, and model those sections as separate objects. Once my vehicle, a fighter jet, had a good shape, I parented all the objects, and transformed it to the robot. After changing some shapes to look like a robot, I transformed it back to vehicle, cleaning up and finalizing detail. It's a very technical process, but only as tedious and you design it.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    So you didn't start with concepts of both the robot and vehicle looks first?
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, it seems transformers are built vehicle first and robot second. if its a crappy car people will notice, but you have creative liberty when making a robot.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    So you didn't start with concepts of both the robot and vehicle looks first?

[/ QUOTE ]

When designing, no, because I was building the concept in 3d. If I was modeling an existing transformer, I model a similar process, except transformation already works.
  • MacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MacD polycounter lvl 18
    I've been doing some transforming-robot work too, and I totally agree with what's been said: start with the shape which you need it to end up as. This shape is 'inviolate'; it has a shape which you can't change without changing what it's supposed to be. The robot itself can have many different axels/joints etc which can be tweaked as needed to fit the final shape or include bits which telescope out...the final shape however can't be changed without getting a different shape/design.

Uhm...I think the other guys said it better smile.gif
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    From concepts in my head and sketchbooks that I've worked on that have had to transform from one form factor to another, I generally came up with a concept for the two form factors, like an 'A' and a 'B'. I then looked at what would be needed to transform 'A' into 'B', or 'B' back into 'A', then re-did my initial concept, and kept working at it until I had something workable.

Like say I had to make something like the Leviathan, I'd do a quick sketch of how I wanted the general shape of the first form (it as a vehicle), and then the general shape of it as a giant stationary cannon. I'd then figure out where I needed to place certain types of mechanics, folding pieces, joints, hinges, etc. Then I'd draw out another concept, and try to visualize it working in my head.

Unless you're being forced into it being a solid form, let the different forms be malliable concepts. Like in the case of the transformers, you're locked into it being a car, then having car parts in the final. But if you're the soul person deciding what the before and after transformation looks like, just retool them till it works.

Ohh, and if you're having trouble seeing if theres enough tolerance for things, draw it out like an engineer instead of a game concept artist. Use dashed lines to indicate hidden forms inside of a solid form, and indicate where you'll be placing hinges and their rotational axii.
  • e_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e_x polycounter lvl 18
    I'm an animator for the COR Project http://www.corproject.com/ and we are doing transformers. I'm not involved much in the design aspects, but I do know that the concept artists design both the vehicles and robots at the same time, keeping in mind how these things will transform the whole time. Most of our transforms aren't overly complex though, just a lot of animation flair.

There is a concept section on the website that shows the model sheets that our character guys used to model them. They being very robotic gave us a lot of freedom for the transforms. I guess it all depends on what you want it to do.

If you need more help I could possibly round up someone to get in here and explain the process a lot better. We should have a playable out by this Friday (6-24-05), so if nothing else, if you have UT2k4, just load up an animation package and check them out.

Hope that helps a little...