Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Haunted House Environment

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JO420 polycounter lvl 18
render5xp.th.jpg

model so far, would 1 texture per building and one for all the other stuff like wooden fence and metal stairs be acceptable?

and whats max resolution i should go on anything??

the final look will be the 2 foward building will be made of old wood and the two will be made of old brick,to show a house that has been expanded over time, i kinda liked the time of year of the haunted house from the shining so the floor will be mainly snow and dried grass

ill be adding some more secondary details also to give it more character,suggestions to raise the sacry value of the scene will be appreciated

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Looks great so far.
    Maybe some broken down bits on the buildings. Like a corner broken down, and all dark & scary inside. Imagine a huge funnel web spider dwelling. Cobwebs, open graves, etc etc. All very creepy.

Can't wait to see it textured laugh.gif
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    actually i didnt wanna go stereotypical scary like graves and such,i think the implied look of violence would be more dramatic. like something really scary happened in the house and from then after the whole place has been undisturbed since the day it happened,pretty much make it inviting enough that someone would consider going into the house but scary enough where most wouldnt.

so some of the things ive placed so far after this screen is an axe on a stump near logs and a broken swing set with one of the seats slanting down due to the broken chain

how about the textures??

never really made a scene like this and dont know whats acceptable resolutions
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Ahh I see. A lot of movies have implied fear to them. Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Shining & Amityville Horror all have really creepy elements to them. The houses themselves are non-sterotypical, and have a creepy atmosphere about them.

As far as the textures go, it depends on what this is for.
    If this small set is an entire level on PS2, try and stay under 1MB for all textures (4&8bit). As far as sizes go, I've noticed that some engines have trouble rendering anything larger than 256x256 on PS2, but others can do it fine.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    so ok ill stick to 256 x 256 thanx,and vass you nailed exactly the idea i was thinking,just like the texas chainsaw massacre,doesnt obviously look like bad things have happened inside,but it wouldnt surprise you
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    I'd say 256 is too small. Next gen stuff has nicely sized textures. An avg wall texture these days should be bumped to 512.

If I were you dude, I'd do next gen materials for this and make sure it see's its way to a real-time engine.

As always you are welcome to lean on me for any help or advice you need, I'd be glad to do whatever I can.

-R
  • KdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KdS polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with 256*256 textures, the smallest resolution you work, the most you will pay attention to use them well.

Some can say "oh, let's go with a 1024, this is not going to be pixelly", but they don't add details and spend not the work required for such a huge texture.

If you render something good in 256, you will have no problem to work in higher resolution in the future. smile.gif

Great work on the mod btw
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    The machine hasn't broek ndown yet ay JO420? smile.gif

Good work so far,much more orginial than your standard haunted house.
    Good luck with the textures.

Also that tree there looks fabulous,howis that one done and how does it look close up? (im curious as ive been trying to figure out ways of doing low poly trees for awhile now)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greenhouses creep me out, especially ones with dirty/broken windows, overgrown plants, and a door that has fallen off of 2 of the three hinges. Or maybe a screened in patio off the back door you have in the scene? Something to give you a tiny interesting peak at what may lay inside, but not give away the secret?

I agree with Pak about the texture size. The next gen stuff is bearing down on everyone its time to let go of the limitations of 5 years ago and let the bar be raised a smidge. That doesn't mean toss optimization to the wind and go skies the limit. IF you can get a scene looking really good with as little resources as possible, that says a lot about your skill. We will still be making games for the PSP and other hardware that is not as advanced for varrious reasons.

Judging by the use of polys already the scene, it looks like you are not gearing it toward the old PS2 software? So larger or detailed textures could be fine. Provided you are not going to waste the texture space. You also don't have to stick to one size, for a box or door mat you might use a 256, or you might put the box, barrel and the swingset on a 512. Don't forget about single plane, alpha'ed grass, that really won't need a square texture unless you put several strips of grass on the same texture.

It really depends what hardware the scene is going to be displayed on, PSP, PS2, PS3? XBox, xBox 360, PC? Is it real-time, or pre-rendered? Is it a First person shooter where FPS are VERY important, or is it a single player adventure game where every 30 min you get attacked by a giant slug? Those things factor into what your target texture size(s)and poly count should be. Or set a goal for yourself, the max texture size is 10,240 pixels(5-1024px's) and 20,000 polys? Don't use my numbers those are wild stabs in the dark.

When you hit the cap, and want to add more detail look at what you can optimize? Can the chain on the swings be done with 2 planes and a really convincing chain texture? That doesn't mean go crazy and spend 40+ hours building highly detailed stuff then another 40+hrs optimizing, if you build optimized it is always better.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I was thinking it could use more windows. At least on the one wall that currently only has one window.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    thanx for the replies,ill be bumping up the textures to 512,

Pak: thanx again for the help ,gonna focus my energy now to environments,this one will be an original and im gonna go to borders and find a movie art book and do somesones elses work since i imgine when i work at this some day ill be doing others ides

Bronco: the tree is made with 1 cylinder and what i did was show off the top of a very low pole cicle,raised the center vertice and lowered or raised the rest in a random way,then i applied the branch texture,made duplicates going down and roated and raised and lowered their vertices,the tree total is like 200 polies but this method i figured of for pines gives good results

vig: ill definatly look into a greenhouse,but i didnt wanna give the house a look of wealth which a greenhouse would normally have, i was thinking maybe a cellar door in the ground or maybe a frame of an old house.

oh and the scene itself hasnt broken 8k polies yet even with new additions not seen
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    render2xy.th.jpg

here an overview of the top and the bottom is a render of what ive done so far texturewise.

the building on the right of the firt part ive textured will be wood as well and the two others will be brick,im gonna add a few other things to the environment,but i dont know yet.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    its looking prmosing so far...keep at it
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    problem i have is quality drop off when i work too many consecutive hours,so now im off to drink beer,relax and work on it later at night.

if all goes well on this next enviroment ill model will be either from lord of the rings.

or that desert environment from raiders of the lost arc with in the desert where indiana jones fights that bald german around the plane.
  • `kungfubilly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    `kungfubilly polycounter lvl 18
    Nice texture on the tower part, if the rest of it's that quality it'll be an ace piece. Get some beer in ya and keep it up!
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    render8dz.th.jpg

PC problems slowed me over the weekend but im back on track,

not done with the second building have windows roof and a little bit of refining left on the worn paint texture left.

in case your wondering the paint scheme is one i found of an old wooden house on a google search it had a white paint job and the areas exposed to the sun and which lost paint over time had a worn out and weathered look to them
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WOW this is lookin great! More of what you envisioned is starting to come out and the scene is really starting to come alive. The last image won't load for me but judging by the prior update it looks really good. Keep at it, I smell a goo portfolio piece cookin'.

Also remember that art is never done it is just abandoned in a near finished state. get it alittle closer to near finished and call it good =P
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    unfortunatly with all the drama occuring at work i can only work on the scene at home,well at least the last portions,did this birdath with frozen water inside to place somewhere in the scene

bathrender6ud.th.jpg
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    got my pc disgonosed and fixed so ive been able to work on it,yay!

render0de.th.jpg

added 3rd building,which is a part of the house built a few years apart from the wooden part also finished,left all of the windows dark and dirty except one which seems rather clean for the house and curtains still up.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    and will finish this mailbox to put in front after this building is done.

mailboxrender9mx.th.jpg
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    seems oddly in good condition to be haunted
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    ^^awesome,then the overall effect im shooting for is getting there.

non sterotypical haunted house,if you were in a snow storm it would look mighty inviting but once in you realize outside probably is safer
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Ah, I see what you're getting at. Good job!
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    yeah no graves,cob webs or any obvious stuff like that
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    render34af.th.jpg

finished not barring any needed tweaks

scene is 8483 plygons 9 textures
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great, I love it! The bird bath and mail box are top notch work! I love the texture work on the exterior of the building.

My one crit would be how unbroken, and unboarded the windows are. Most people that fear a house, toss rocks at it's windows =P You also might want to open the door open a bit and have some of the same yellow/warm lighting coming from the opening. I would also extend the snow outside the FOV of the camera =)
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    thanx ill see what i can do on the windows, and kinda jhard to see but the building is boarded up, on one of the windows i did place oddly clean and well kept curtains not seen elsewhere.

i was considering maybe painted out windows