Home General Discussion

Wobbly?

Daz
Daz
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Daz polycounter lvl 18
Was working late tonight with a bunch of folks and we got a fair old shake on the 4th floor at about 10.25. I left shortly afterward! I dont care how remote the chances of another one are, Im sure as hell not gonna die at EA!!! Id rather take my chances outside.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqsww/Quakes/uszkal.htm

Anyone else feel it? Seems like they're getting stronger and more frequent. Is this the lead up to the big one perhaps?!

Replies

• pogonip
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    You know if EA falls into ocean I don't think a lot of people would be to sad .. though we'd miss yah daz ;-D
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Assuming that I wasn't in it at the time, If the studio was no more I'd probably get a pretty hefty severance package. Although Id be sad that my signed by the man Sean Connery artwork would be in the bottom of the bay.
  • Pseudo
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    Hrm, I didnt notice this one, although I am probably too far away to feel anything. I did however feel one early this afternoon in Santa Monica. Is there always a time period where a lot of earth quakes occur? This is my first year living in Cali, so I don't know if this is a regular thing (something similar to the hurricane season on the East Coast?), or if this is a rare occurance.

So far it has been a pretty cool experience to feel the entire world around me moving, but then again they have been rather mild and sort of "wavy". I guess I expected everything to start shaking violently and fall apart tongue.gif
  • Irritant
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    California will one day be an island. Oh wait...it kinda already is, LOL.
  • sledgy
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    I think the more frequent they are, the less the likelihood of "the big one" because the lil' uns are continually reducing tension between the two tectonic plates
  • Ryno
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    The epicenter was hundreds of miles away. Quit being a panzy. The intensity of a quake is just about halved for every 20 miles that you are distant from the epicenter. Unless it is big enough to make your monitor jump off your desk, there's no need to worry.

My hometown in California (Coalinga) was right on top of a faultline. After a 6.7, 6.4, and a bunch of 6.2s, it got to the point where I wouldn't even get out of my bed or off of the couch for anything under a 6.0.
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Im from England where the ground doesn't move. Sorry for something being a big deal to me being trivial to you. I'll remind myself not to post about Earthquakes ever again. Wouldn't want to upset a man that doesn't get out of bed for earthquakes.
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I could swear you said that last time you got shaken (not stirred) as well.
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    sweet as a flower
    but stabs like a bee
    u'r like no one else daz wink.gif

not frequent down here in israel either,
    we had a few recently as strong as 5.7, i think,
    woke me up from my dreams and i thought something for wrong with my mind again (nothing out of the ordinary, rest assure) as the "visual image" was shaking.

scared the bee jeebies out of me,
    however you spell that.
  • RageUnleashed
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    Hehe my first earthquake was in elementary school, I thought it was my friend's little brother being a spaz as usual on the couch next to me. Washington is still bracing for "the big one"... maybe we'll break off on the same chunk Daz! haha.

shotgun- you're thinkin "bejesus", although bee jeebies gets the point across as good as bejesus ever did! laugh.gif
  • Dravalen
    Offline / Send Message
    Dravalen polycounter lvl 18
    With all this activity of late I decided to look up the fault lines here in Seattle, looks like I-90 runs right down one of the major ones.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Daz, don't go crazy on Ryno, I'm pretty sure that was mostly tongue-in-cheek and meant to be taken lightly smile.gif

I for one have never experienced an earthquake. Does Vancouver get them often?
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, i think its actually "gives me the hibby jibbies".

oxford doesn't say, oddly enough.
    oy vey me and my english.
  • sonic
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Living in Texas I've never been in an earthquake, although I think it'd be interesting to feel...

The closest thing we have is when someone starts up their truck with no pipes and revs it up while shootin his shotgun tongue.gif
  • monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    From what I hear the area around San Francisco has a huge quake every hundred years. Looks like another one is around the corner...

http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/info/1906/
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    I am a richer man now, thank you.
  • Ryno
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, just giving you a hard time Daz, no offense intended.

It's just funny how you can get used to some things after awhile, whereas people who have never experienced something get all worked up about it. I remember chatting with someone who lived on the Florida coast, when I used to live in California. He insisted that he would never live in California, due to the shocking risk of earthquakes.

I then went on to point out that for any region of California, there is always a chance of a minor quake, but that there was only a major one about every 50-150 years. But in Florida, you can pretty much count on being hammered by a couple of hurricanes every year, with a major one every 5-20 years, so the risks of loss of property and life are actually quite a bit higher. He replied "Sure, but at least you know when they are coming."

Me, I prefer the surprise destruction once in a great while, rather than knowing that I'm going to be f****d on a fairly consistent basis.

And Monster, SF (Santa Cruz to be specific) just had a big quake during the '89 World Series, so they should be good for awhile.
  • firestarter
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    i`m feeling a bit wobbly myself right now.That`s possibly 5 hours of empty stomach vodka time tho. oh and `homely` finnish women.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    felt it, Daz, Felt a couple of them, the later one at 11:27 or so. Yes, there seems to be a series of small, upper surface quakes happening now I do not know if they are "after" or "fore" shocks, but in scanning the USGS site for quakes over the last Hour last night i found that there was a wide variety of quakes that happened at 11:39PM Near Eureka, the Central Valley and the imperial valley. weird, huh?

Scott

P.S. the USGS site with the near realtime update is here:
    http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqsUS/
  • Dukester
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    My mom has a big stack of 45's she bought when she was a teen in the 50's. i wore them out when I was a kid. One of them is Little Richard's "heebie jeebies" fyi
  • CheapAlert
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    Man I haven't experienced a big quake since 1994.

SAN ANDREAS FAULT BITCHES
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I just had my first quake about 5:30 on the 16th. It was only 5.3 and wasn't that bad 10 stories up. I was expecting much worse.
  • Mark Dygert
    Isn't there a theory that it will either be a long period of nothing and one big quake, OR a bunch of small quakes and no "big one"?
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    We have earth quakes localised entirely in our building. Theres something very dodgy going on with the foundations and from time to time the building will shake quite violently... probably nothing compared to a real earthquake, but given the age of the building and general decay of the structure, I think its only a matter of time before we lose the western side of the building and half the art team winds up in the middle of the road covered in 6 stories of rubble.

I guess thats what we get for setting up shop in a building designed for holding tea, not people.
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    we had a few out here recently in tokyo, and one yesterday that wobbled the house in a most perculiar fashion. I even went outside for a bit because my house is made from what appears to be no more than a deck of cards.

but yes don't worry. if there is a big one then the goverment will switch all the radio stations and tv stations to disaster mode. This is when you should panic.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Jackablade: But... but... tea is heavier and more valuable than people! smile.gif