Home General Discussion

Good place to download linux?

Irritant
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Irritant polycounter lvl 18
I have been trying today to set up my Linux box. I chose Suse 9.2 as the version, because I read that was good for games, and the sole purpose is to test out the Linux version of Alien Arena on it before releasing.

Question 1: Where can I find a reliable place to download from. Everywhere I tried, it is slower than hell, and times out after only a few files.

Question 2: Is Suse really the best choice?

Replies

• Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So now I'm trying Gentoo from Georgia Tech's server. This one seems a bit faster and more reliable.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    Damn Small Linux? :P
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe..

Well, I got Gentoo, it's up and running. This ought to be interesting.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    So aside from games what else can you run in linux?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    server apps. browsers, IM, office like sustitutes, digital imaging, editing, 3d programs.

yada yada yada.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Some Linux releases often come with a lot of free tools that are very useful. Where as Windows you're still stuck with MSPaint, and Sound Recorder and a large price tag for word processors and programming tools. I'm still trying to build an additional PC to run Linux on. I was introduced years ago, and enjoyed it.

I'm sure you tried here Irritant.
    http://www.linuxiso.org/
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Hm, I got Fedora Core 3 from the university repository. Maybe I should install it properly sometime but so far both Suse and Debian were pretty much wastes of space on my system. Okay, back then I was using Ati so maybe it'll be more useful now.
  • Bort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bort polycounter lvl 18
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think Gentoo downloads itself during install/compile, Debian can do the same.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.ubuntulinux.org/

This is what I am currently working and gaming on. It is Debian based, and very userfriendly.
    There should be a server linked on their page that is fast enought, otherwise try Bittorrent wink.gif
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, jkm, i just came here to post that!
    I haven't actually been able to try it out, but i'm a big fan of the philosophy, and the guy behind it all.
    I can't wait untill linux is just as easy to use as windows, and will therefor be more widespread, which would hopefully lead to more games being ported over.
    I tried the live-cd of some rastafari (i forgot the name) linux a while back, and that one didn't run too well... If i'm to believe the hype, ubuntu should "just work(tm)" from the start.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It does 'just work(tm)' as long as you don't have any exotic hardware, but getting 3d accelerated graphic card drivers to work is still a bit of work (but it isn't that bad).

My opinion about Linux and userfriendlyness is that it is already better than Windows for experts and complete 'notexperts' (users who just want to surf the net etc, your typical grandma for example).

For experts because it is an absolutly superior OS and for the notexperts because everything they need comes with the base install, and they can't break anything.

The problem is those who basicly have no clue about computers but still think they have (it's the majority it seems). They usually get fustrated quickly by linux because they can't get stuff to work imidiatly and switch back to windows.
    Those are also the people who are the absolute horror for system admins, because they play cluelessly around with their windows machines and manage to break everything they can wink.gif
    Their way of dealing with a broken OS is to reinstall windows confused.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    but getting 3d accelerated graphic card drivers to work is still a bit of work (but it isn't that bad).

As long as you aren't an Ati user, in which case you are deeply screwed.

One of these "believe they know everything"s is my dad so I can definitely relate. Doesn't help that he gets angry VERY easily and ALWAYS blames other people for his mistakes. He would have been the perfect manager...
  • JonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonT polycounter lvl 18
    *me pokes thread tentatively*

Thanks for the links guys, I'm currently whooping my uni pipe before i move out of halls for the last time smile.gif

Gonna grab Ubuntu 5.04. I can't be arsed with SUSE cos they want a DVD burner, which i don't have. Anyone recommend some favourite distros i should give a whirl?
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    I have always been a fan of Slackware, but it is less "mainstream user" friendly. It is a lot more configurable at the install set up and has less of the extra/unnecessary stuff that some of the more popular distros have.

http://www.slackware.com/

I have a purchased copy of Linspire at home that is pretty snazzy as well. Very very good for first time users.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mandriva (former Mandrake) is also quite good. I used it before switching to Ubuntu.

Actually it depends on which Desktopmanager you like better. There are plenty of different ones, but the two big ones are Gnome and KDE. Usually both are supported but one is focused on.
    Suse, Mandriva, Knoppix etc focus on KDE, while Ubuntu, Fedora (Redhat), (Debian) and a few others focus on Gnome.

Personally I prefer Gnome. It has less features, but is nicer to use/less 'overdeveloped'. Just make sure you turn on the 'always use file browser' option in Gnome.

Edit: @KDR The Ati drivers for Linux are getting better and better lately. It is still not up to the same level as the windows drivers (like the ones from Nvidia) but it is getting there.