Home General Discussion

freelance advice

todman
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
todman polycounter lvl 18
I've found some freelance jobs on the Internet of people willing to pay (not much) for models that I build for them. However, they want all rights for the characters signed over to them. Is this something I should avoid or is it just the way it usually is whether you freelancing or working for a company.
thanks....

Replies

• Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    When I did freelance work way back in the day, the individuals wanted the copyrights and whatnot for the models also. I agreed for a flat fee per model for the rights on the condition I could still use them to display for my portfolio.

Also any work you do, get a written contract signed by all parties involved.
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    Work-for-hire art is a time-honored way for new art talent to get some professional experience and publication credits.

Get the terms of your work in writing:

Exact definition of deliverables include file formats and the manner of delivery.

Note: if you work from their concept art, you may have less say in what you can do with the art if everything falls apart ... i.e.; those were their concepts you constructed.

Specify that assignment of rights in the art is contingent on payment for the work. No payment, no assignment of copyright.

Rights reversion. In the event the publisher does not publish, ask that rights in your work revert to you.

Specify that your name must appear in game credits. Provide a correct spelling. Define how your work will be credited (artist, modeler, texture painter, concept artist, etc.). I once designed a computer game that was published by Epyx back in the 80s. My credit was for "theme." Later on, websites documenting the game assumed I wrote the music.

Payment should be based on something you both can measure (piecework is typically the best route).

Payment schedule. Define exactly what you have to do to be paid. If possible, break up payments into smaller deliverable stages. One of my better clients paid me installments for milestones in the project ... contracting signing ... first sketch ... completion of the project. Better to get partial payments from a client then to do all the work and never get paid (been there, done that, should have known better).

No payment on publication or with copies. Let's all be professionals. Professionals are paid when they do the work and with money ... not when the product ships and not with product.

Absolutely require that you can use pieces as samples in your portfolio even before the game ships. Be willing to concede that you can't put said work into a public venue (like a publicly accessible website) without their permission in writing.
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    Often they will ask for the model/mesh/texture/file...ect before payment is given. Fuck that. They get nothing until you get your phat money check! You can give them screenshots of the final product, but never give them any file until they paid up.
  • todman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    todman polycounter lvl 18
    Excellent,
    Thanks fellas, Mr. Jaquay it was nice to hear from you. Actually the party I was going to submit work to laid things out exactly the way you said as far as the payment
    routine, everything, very professional. So they sound like a legimate company to do business with.
    I thank you again
    todd
    www.todd3d.com
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    Liquid can be trusted tho. They have a good rep for paying so if yiou work for them don't play hardball. A few polycounters work there and it'd hurt their business to screw over developers.

-R
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    Most important.
    Unless you have worked with the company before and can thrust them never send them any models or textures before you get that check. Just like slayer said.

And ofcause when you got that check the "stuff" becomes intellectual property of the company.

Make sure you get all this stuff down in the contract and dont be afraid to add your own clauses if you feel it is needed.

/Palm