Home General Discussion

Utility to assist with low poly level editing

Mal
Mal
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mal polycounter lvl 18
Hi all,

This is a new application that allows you to create low poly levels, and then drive around them immediately, showing your work online ( and even linking levels together by naming objects as website addresses ).

You can see student level examples here ( requires Shockwave plugin )...
http://www.candointeractive.com/gamedesign/car/levels/jordanstown.html

If you use an app that supports Shockwave 3D export ( such as 3DS Max, Maya, Lightwave, trueSpace, Cinema 4D ), you can download the app for free and create your own levels from here...

http://www.candointeractive.com/gamedesign/car

Best regards...
Mal

Replies

• Mal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mal polycounter lvl 18
    Nearly forgot this...

It's a portfolio level, with a number of character models.

http://www.candointeractive.com/gamedesign/car/portfolio

Mal
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    w00t! Where's the rocket launcher?

Anyhow, there's no mention of price on your site. It's obviously not free. Can you give us an idea of the pricing structure for it, individual vs. commercial vs. educator etc.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

If you use an app that supports Shockwave 3D export ( such as 3DS Max, Maya, Lightwave, trueSpace, Cinema 4D ), you can download the app for free

[/ QUOTE ]

That may have meant: for a period of 30 days, but it could also just be free. Let's hope so smile.gif
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I run the app it says "The license.txt cannot be found. This app cannot be used for commercial, academic or portfolio projects."

Seems you can download it for free though. wink.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Blender users don't need that because their app comes with its own engine.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    really cool. the xsi scene file you provide causes an error when loading. is it possible for you to provide an fbx file instead of each scene format?
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric: yeah, i noticed just after i posted that.
    It's a shame, since it seemed pretty nice
    Kdr: Yeah, but that doesn't work quite like this, which appears to be quite "drag-and-drop, and you're done"
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I probably wouldn't use an app like this, but I don't like the seemingly misleading advertising. Also looks like licenses come with a time limit, looking at the splash screens for the students' work. Looks like it might be more like a lease agreement.
  • Mal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mal polycounter lvl 18
    Hi Folks,

The app is aimed very much at the academic market, for teaching low to medium polygon 3D modelling and texturing, as well as some basic gameplay elements, with a zero pipeline export path ( ie you don't export into a file, that has to be imported and tweaked in another app / included in a WAD file etc ).

Most of the solutions that I have seen to date have not been very friendly to new students who are learning the ropes.

With regard to pricing, the academic pricing can be viewed here...
    http://www.candointeractive.com/gamedesign/car/pricing.html

Another usage for this app is for using it to show your 3D / game orientated portfolio online from your website.

If you would like to use it as-is for portfolio usage ( ie to show off your work online, but not for academic ( ie used on a university course ) or commercial purposes ), you can use it for free ( as long as you don't mind the banner at the top of the screen, the small price to pay is that you promote our app to more people ).

If you really want to get rid of the banner ( and purchase a portfolio only license ), we're thinking of a cost about $99 or so. If that seems too much for some people, then using the version with the banner for free ( which is fully functional ) is a pretty reasonable compromise.

Mal