Home General Discussion

video game voice actor strike...

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
bearkub polycounter lvl 18
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050525/ap_on_bi_ge/video_games_labor

I didn't really hear anything about this from the people that attended E3 and thought it was a fairly decent discussion piece, if nothing else.

Replies

• Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    That's funny. They do the least amount of work on a game and want to get paid the most? Sheesh. Seems like most of the voice acting in games could be done within a week or two vs. the years it takes to do all the coding, artwork, testing, etc.

Blah, what do I know. I'm just a hobbyist. wink.gif
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    Cmon man without union actors it'd be game over ... man....

LOL WHAT A BUNCH OF RETARDS!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Considering the average quality of voice acting in games I'm surprised they get any money at all.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Considering the average quality of voice acting in games I'm surprised they get any money at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

You get what you pay for.

I think voice acting and soundFX in general is kind of lacking in a lot of games. There are excerptions like Vietcong, but in general it seems like that is one of the areas where 'corners are cut'.

And good sound/music/voice acting is for most singleplayer games about as important as graphics and gameplay.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I'll provide voice acting for cheap. I can do a pretty good Quagmire, and that guy in the wheel chair. Still working on Peter's laugh and "go on".

Some of the worst voice acting I've experienced came from FarCry. And of course, HL2's Alyx deserves a Grammy. For a few hours of talking, I think they're paid enough.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Producers have countered with an offer of a 34.8 percent wage hike over three years, bringing the one-hour rate for union actors to $375 from $278.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I got paid $278 for an hours worth of work you'd definitely see me doing the best I can do.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I think artists and programmers would need a union before they have the need for one. That's great they have one for film/tv work, but seriously? For game work? It is nice when actors or pro voice people do the work, but it's not necessary. I love games that have the horrible, obviously-done-by-some-testers voice-overs.

Also is it voice-overs or voice overs?
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    dude seriously I can pay for 2 months of rent with what they make in an HOUR, what the fuck is the problem?

I say these people are greedy and stupid, I don't think anyone cares about their strike, they'll just get someone else to do the job.
  • ShadoKat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ShadoKat polycounter lvl 18
    Gawd, I freakin' DREAM of being a voice actor for games! Even on the side!! And these people complain that they should get $100 more PER HOUR, PLUS residuals? Hell, I'll cross picket lines for that kind of opportunity, even for the lower rate... sign me up!

(I have experience, even... sorta. I just did a radio commercial for a local apartment building. Sure, it will only run on an AM station during soccer games, but it's something.)
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For 1 8 hour day they make what I make in a month. frown.gif

Before taxes even.
  • DjGasta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DjGasta polycounter lvl 18
    They should stop being drama queens and get real jobs.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You got to keep in mind that these people work like freelancers, they only get money for the few minutes/hours they actually talk. But somehow they have to finance hours of practise and stuff like that.

At least that is how I imagine it wink.gif
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    Generally speaking ... these people DO have real jobs. At E3, I heard the waiter serving another table at my hotel tell the guests about his appearances on a few television shows. I suspect that most actors do not work full time as actors ... they have to get day jobs to support the rather expensive costs of living in LA (where a lot of studios get there voice over work done).

That having been said, I think it would be better to have game voice overs done by non-union talent, local to the game studio. Most cities have a wealth of talented actors and radio people who could do a great job, earn good money and not hold the game industry hostage.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah. I really think these people need to go F themselves.

I agree that sound design & V.O. in games is frequently lacking. I don't really think that this is due to low budgets, but more to inadequate planning & care.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    I've done V.O. in games and I'll do it again, i want the project OUT THE DOOR so I can get my bonus!

Scott
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    If they protest I think companies should include an option to turn off voices in the options. I'd do it out of spite I think.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    someone should just write up a good voice syth software and put all those whiners outta business. laugh.gif
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    Pet peeve: Famous actors/actresses doing VO work for animated movies/games.

Why in gods name do you need to pay Cameron Diaz $10mil for 10 hours of VO work for Shrek? Jesus fuck its just plain retarded. I'd rather get a decent VO actress or some no-name talent to do the work for 1/1000th of what it would cost to cast some big name actor.

Anyway, I do agree, most VO is pretty crappy as it is. They need less money and more training.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Well given my opinion on Unions (since my Grandfather and Great where part of ones in England for coal mine workers). Im in the opposite end.

Good for them! Even though I personally dont agree with some of their demands, at least they are out there. Instead of us whining about how much they get paid as it is, why dont we do the same thing?
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oxy: Because history has shown that unions ultimately end up becoming corrupt, the workers lazy, shiftless & overpaid, the work traditionally sub-par.

Or at least, thats what I've heard, read & experienced first hand from union workers.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus: Because history has shown that without unions, company owners ultimately end up becoming corrupt and overpaid, while the workers end up exploited & underpaid.

Or at least, thats what I've heard, read & experienced first hand.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh, yeah. Sadly, both are true. I don't know what the best solution is. Perhaps just stronger rights for the worker, and more serious enforcement?
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Just shot them this e-mail:

Dear Ms. Cone,

I recently saw an article describing the video game actors’ strike that your members are involved with. As a professional video game artist, I find this totally ridiculous. The fact that your members are demanding residuals for several days or weeks worth of work is an insult to every game artist, programmer, level designer, and every other game production professional.

The truth is that we game production professionals may work for years on a game, not just a few days as actors tend to, yet residuals and royalties are extremely uncommon for any of us to receive. The hourly rate that an actor gets for their short-term commitment to the project is exponentially more than what even a well paid programmer receives. I understand that this is contract work, and that actors should be compensated monetarily, since they cannot rely on job stability and benefits as normal employees receive.

Although I personally appreciate good in-game acting, in the overall scope of the project, the actors play a minor role. Games are not movies or television. What makes a game sell well, is fun gameplay (design and programming), creative and/or convincing graphics (art), and a good story (writing/design/acting). Of these aspects, only gameplay is absolutely necessary.

To illustrate this concept, consider non-computer games like chess. It is fun due to the creative gameplay that the player is allowed. There is nothing else fancy about it, and many video games are very similar. Many do not really have much of a story, but rather, have a set of rules that guide the way a player may entertain themselves. This may be a digital version of chess, or another type of game such as a shooter, where you are given a gun, and told to shoot the bad guys.

In many of these types of games, there are voice commands and that have been acted out by someone. It may be as simple as a yell of, “Look out! Grenade!” They are simple, short, recorded clips that are prompted by a player’s actions. Yes, technically this may be acting, but it really doesn’t take more than a few seconds to record such exclamations. Whether they are shouted by union actors or not is of no real significance. In either case, they are such a minor portion of the game that they are nearly irrelevant. They take 3 seconds of work to record. And yet, an actor who does this simple piece is to receive residual payments for as long as the game sells, whereas the creative and technical people who actually made the game, and poured years of work into it receive no type of residual or royalty compensation?

Ridiculous.

No doubt some of your members will say that we game artist, programmers, and designers should also get residuals. Some of us do. But this is not a standard business practice in the game industry. Many of us are just regular employees who are making a product, just as do people in other industries. We understand this fact, are happy with our positions, and know that we are vital to keeping this industry going. If all of us were to demand residuals, there would be plenty of people willing to fill our shoes. Whether it is kids coming out of college, or an overseas contractor, there are lots of people who would love to have our jobs.

I just find it preposterous that out of the hundreds of people that it can take to make a game, the actors, who make the smallest contributions both time-wise and creatively should be the only ones to reap the residual benefits.

Sincerely,

Ryan Greene
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Many of us are just regular employees who are making a product, just as do people in other industries. We understand this fact, are happy with our positions, and know that we are vital to keeping this industry going. If all of us were to demand residuals, there would be plenty of people willing to fill our shoes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ryno, well written. But are you saying they should be the same way also? (IE)"We like what we have, and don't think its fair that others ask for more."

Ultimate form of marxism?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    [ QUOTE ]
    dude seriously I can pay for 2 months of rent with what they make in an HOUR, what the fuck is the problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

to be fair, I wonder how often these voice over folks get work? I mean, if they were constantly working, sure they make shitloads. But what if that one payment actually did have to pay 2 months of rent?
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    Man. Ryno just put them in their place. wink.gif
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Oxy, the truth is that there are dozens, if not hundreds of people involved in making a game, just as is true for other products, be it cars or popsicle sticks. If we as artists are to receive royalties for our work, then so too should the designers, right? Of course the programmers too, correct? And since the game won't sell without marketing, they should get a small cut also, right? And then there's the package designers, the manufacturers, the shipping people, distributors, etc.

Not to be a smart ass, but all of these people are important in getting the game sold. If they all got a cut, could you imagine how much more expensive games would have to be?

I think it is egotistical for anyone involved to think that only THEY are the reason for a game's success. It takes a big team.

This is true in any industry that makes products. Yet why should entertainment people have rights to royalties/residuals for what they produce, while the guy working in the automobile manufacturing plant won't? They're both making stuff, right?

Of course royalties are great, if your company has planned for that type of compensation. But I don't think that studios should have a gun stuck to their head, forcing them to adopt this practice. I can guarantee you that this is a big headache for a smaller studio to deal with, and if they were forced to pay royalties for everything, a lot of wonderful games simply would not be made.

Sure, if you invent something incredibly unique, maybe some form of royalties are in order. Take the case of Stan Lee, who got screwed for years, even though he made Marvel Comics what it is. But the truth is that your run of the mill voice actor, coder, or game artist is just a small cog in a bigger machine, and they are not nearly as influencial to the scope of the project as Stan Lee was to comics. That they ALL deserve residuals is just ludicrous.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

dude seriously I can pay for 2 months of rent with what they make in an HOUR

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't work 40 hrs a week. Not even close. And that hourly pay is gross, that means:
    -no benifits
    -still have to pay taxes on that

The avg voice actor for games doesn't even get 1 gig a week from what I know of it.

-R

-R
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pak: Unions frequently are the providers/organisers of benefits, and in fact, you'll frequently find far superior benefits as part of a union than even a high-paying professional job.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perhaps those VAs might consider doing two "jobs", i.e. learning another trade of game development and being a VA when there's a need for that? A job that nets you less than one gig a week should leave plenty of time for other work. Sure, you might be tied to your employer and therefore get even less gigs but hell, you get a regular paycheck and don't have to search for an employer all day, that's gotta be worth something!

Or perhaps make sure you screen for voice talent during other job interviews as well so it won't sound bad if you let your coders voice the two cutscenes your game has...
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    I think it would be good if voice actors got what they wanted as all the developers would beable to ask for more also.
    It would be unfair if the voicer actors made more money than other developers but I think it is allready unfair how developers get treated
  • Ribking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ribking polycounter lvl 18
    It would be different if it was the actors that drive the game sales....That's why this is accepted in the film industry, I suppose. Film studios are banking on making money off of a name (or several names *ahem* Dreamworks). But as Ryno mentioned, VO is such a minor part of the total package in a game. And rarely do we see "Buy GameX, cuz it has Joe Faymuss in it!". I say let'em go....find cheaper VO talent, perhaps from a VO studio, and may we all one day reap the benefits of making bigger paychecks.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    sheesh you guys really sound like backseat drivers sometimes.

theres a lot that goes into voice acting, and the production side. the company I used to work for provided voice acting in multiple languages, http://www.babelmedia.com/localisation.php?page=audio
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    What about our motion capture actors?
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    I have no problem playing games without any VO. In fact, I've been playing Wind Waker recently, and I think I prefer the captions and believe the game would be less immersive with actual VO (beyond the weird sounds the characters make). But I guess with games like GTA, voice overs are more important, because reading doesn't really fit the atmosphere and pace of the game.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    And....the settlement is reached
    http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050609/tc_nm/media_videogames_strike_dc

(didn't see any reason to start a new thread...)
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Highlights of these agreements include:

·An immediate 25 percent increase in minimum wages from $556 to $695 for a four-hour session for up to three voices with increases in subsequent years, bringing the daily rate up to $759.

·Double time pay after six hours (previously ten hours) for three-voice performers.

·A 7.5 percent increase in contributions to the unions’ benefits plans, bringing the rate up to 14.3 percent.

·15-25 percent gains in rates for remote delivery and integration.

·Payment to actors for reuse of performances in promotional films longer than 12 minutes.

·A specified rest period for each hour spent recording.

·Payment window shortened from 30 to 12 business days.

·Pre-work notification to actors performing in stressful sessions.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    I can do a decent Jiminy Cricket, will that get me a cup of coffee and a pastry? smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Imagine what would be if the grunts got double pay if they work longer than 6 hours...