Home General Discussion

GTA:SA comes out for the PC and Xbox tomorrow

DeathTrip
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
DeathTrip polycounter lvl 18
w00t, finally! Just a heads up for anyone who is interested.

I'm getting the PC version; better shooting controls, better graphics, custom car models, and multi theft auto.

Replies

• AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Planning on getting the PC version as well.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, i really love the series and it was an effort not to cave in and get the PS2 version. except that when you're used to the PC incarnations of the series it's nearly impossible to go back smile.gif i'll be swinging by my local EB to pick it up smile.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I'd say the Xbox version is my fave, because I prefer the console versions to the PC.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    PC version, but probably in a few months when I see lower'ed price, and when there is more tools for it.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe when I see it in a bargain bin for a tenner or so, GTA realy doesn't hold my interest for longer than five minutes.
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BRUTICUS(CW) polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone tried the PC version out yet?
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I got my NTSC xbox and PC versions today. THe PC one has great packaging - I reckon I'll get everyone to sign it.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i'll have the pc version in about 2 hours once my brother gets home--it's good to have someone out to run errands/buy software smile.gif
  • Major Clod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Major Clod polycounter lvl 18
    I caved in and played the PS2 version, I just couldn't wait that long and had so much free time over the christmas holidays. Was bloody fun though, ended up playing through the entire game in about 6 weeks. Much, much more satisfying than cranking through the missions in a few days!

It is a very, very fun game. My major dissapointment was the "gangsta" setting that it initially takes, not my cup of tea. Definately prefer the Vice City 80's atmosphere!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    damn I want this for PC. is there a downloadable version? I'm out in "no pc games" land.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    SA was ony of my main reasons for purchasing a PS2 a while back over the Xbox. Unfortunately for an avid player of the PC versions of GTA3 and VC like me the shooting controls felt like a joke. worst thing is that it wasn't possible to tune the sensitivity of the stick nor remap the awkward button layout.

now with SA on the PC i'm almost tempted to get rid of my PS2 version and get it on PC instead - with decent controls. but somehow the whole GTA thing starts to wear of for me... it's been enough incarnations already.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken: Can't import?
  • DeathTrip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just bought it and its a DVD! mad.gif I dont have a DVD drive frown.gif

The packaging is way awesome though.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What, are you living in 1999 or why don't you have a DVD drive?
  • DeathTrip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just havent had the need for one ... how much is a plain dvd drive nowadays?
  • DeathTrip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot! borrowed my brother's dvd-drive, gonna install now...
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    <gauss-> i've only done a moderate of missions, still just getting used to the los santos area
    [03:09] <gauss-> but i figured hey, lets see what we can see
    [03:10] <gauss-> so i went driving as far north as i could go, out near palomino whatever, that little dinky town.. saw where they cut off the interstate
    [03:10] <gauss-> and jumped out into the water, swimming to las venturas. which of course earned me an immediate 4 stars.
    [03:11] <gauss-> undeterred, i plotted a course for the pay 'n' spray in northern LV... which did nothing to decrease my wanted level, since i was not supposed to be in LV. so i jack a nice fast car and keep driving
    [03:12] <gauss-> drive all the way to the golden gate-alike bridge, which is also blocked off. no worry... even with the police chopper harassing me, i swim the whole length of the golden gate bridge
    [03:12] <gauss-> now even though i would like to have partied through all of san fierro, at this point i've made some nice skill upgrades to stamina/swimming, so i just steal a boat and drive back to LS and save. good times smile.gif
    [03:12] <gauss-> and i'm sure everyone wanted to hear such a detailed account, but hey, it was fun smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how much is a plain dvd drive nowadays?

15. 20 if you're unlucky. I wish all multi-CD games were DVD games, makes installing much easier. Especially with games that usually take up 6 CDs like HL2 or UT2004.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Just picked up the PC version. Looks very pretty, butt theres a few odd graphical glitches and some serious slowdown from time to time. Seems like it could use a patch. There also seems to be some weirdness to the AI that wasn't present in the PS2 version - much more random crashing of AI vehicles into eachother and into buildings. I even had some pimp repeatedly circling my car in his pimp mobile at one stage. Mostly its pretty funny, but it probably could use a tighten up too.

That said, it all looks very pretty and the aiming system and whatnot are sooo good after the ponderous system of the console game.
  • DeathTrip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, gauss, man on the run.

anyways, the game is way way awesome. grin.gif

the ddr-esque missions were tough to complete, i have no rhythm tongue.gif
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BRUTICUS(CW) polycounter lvl 18
    Is there an option for first person? Or any benefits to the PC over the PS2
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mouse aim should be enough of a benefit.
  • DeathTrip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, piloting the airplanes is way too difficult to be enjoyable frown.gif and i need to pass this flying test...
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    har har, the worst is the driving test crap, That last test is just fucking hell,
    I manage to pass all of the permits after tho, yay,

But still, the driving one, was the worst.
  • DeathTrip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The driving tests were alright except for that "go backwards then do a 180 without hiting any cones" one.

EDIT: is there a way to keep the camera locked behind the airplane?
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    hehe there is code for a sex mini-game that was cut out. someone made a patch to put it back in.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    ash: man, as if parents don't already hit the roof (and somewhat rightly so) when their kids are playing these games... can you imagine the ruckus if that had actually been in the game and some self-righteous letter-writing type had caught wind of it? baaaaad times smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So what? Children aren't supposed to play GTA anyway. Tell the parents they should not let their children buy games rated M as in 17+ if they don't like their children playing inappropriate games.
  • DeathTrip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If that mini-game was included it would have probably bumped the game in the "adult" rating(forgot what it was). Joe Lieberman and co. would have gone crazy.

I've misjudged the flying controls, I had "mouse piloting" on and didnt even notice so that made it a total pain to fly; its actually pretty fun.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    have they fixed the remote control airplane mission in San Fierro yet? the controls for that mission on the PS2 version were terrible. only set of story missions i didn't finish. frown.gif
  • MacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MacD polycounter lvl 18
    I discovered that GTASA actually supports a joystick! The wird thing was that it was actually easier finishing the RC-plane missions controlling it with the hat-switch on top of my joystick and using w and s for speed together with q and e for banking. The last driving test is a bitch too. But is is do-able if you luck out on traffic and stay on the cabletram track.

Appart from flying, this game rocks. Motering off the ramp on top of mount Chilliad, jumping of the bike and then using the parachute to glide down is just awe-inspiring.

Using multitheft auto, I could so imagine myself making a shadowrun mod for this game smile.gif All I need is the time smile.gif
  • Prs-Phil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prs-Phil polycounter lvl 18
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I hate you Rockstar, I bloody hate you. Why did you have to make this game so cool and waist my precious portfolio time bitches ...

No, seriously now ... I want to have a baby with you, ALL of you. I just looooooove this game wink.gif

Got it yesterday and I can allready hence how big it is going to get.

Congrats to a great game, and if I don't post anymore on monday you have another GTA victim and my parents will come and sue you ... oh wait, ... we are not in the US O_o wink.gif
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    I'm anxiously awaiting the 3D Car and wheel mods to come in. I want to import my rim models to replace the hidious low poy ones laugh.gif
  • DeathTrip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I hate you Rockstar, I bloody hate you. Why did you have to make this game so cool and waist my precious portfolio time bitches ...

[/ QUOTE ]

same, but now I'm done with the main story and it shouldnt be such a distraction anymore.

[ QUOTE ]

Using multitheft auto, I could so imagine myself making a shadowrun mod for this game smile.gif All I need is the time smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

speaking of MTA, they released a vid recently. HERE

does anyone else like just cruise around in a bike(as in bmx/mountain/lowrider bike)? its so fun laugh.gif
  • Prs-Phil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prs-Phil polycounter lvl 18
    so there is an end to this insanity, *phew* wink.gif
  • DeathTrip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn...not even grove street is safe! 15.gif

I was putting away my pimped LandRover-clone after coming back from a turf war and this son of a bitch decides to steal my super pimped Remington which is already parked inside of the garage! 12.gif I told 'em 58.gif The bastard even used the nitro right off the bat so I did too. I chased him and kept shooting him in hopes that he'd bail. Well, he didnt, I ended up blowing up my super pimped Remington 17.gif

it was so awesome! 18.gif

if you see this dude anywhere near your garage, kick his ass.
    gallery18b.jpg

i went and got another Regimgton 14.gif
    gallery19b.jpg
    gallery20b.jpg
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    DAMMIT!!! I just picked this up the other night and have been too busy with work to play it for more than 30 mins. I've been at working late almost every night this week mad.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    was basically playing this all night and loving it, especially when i was able to snatch this desktop-perfect pic of the cameo of your character from GTA3!

gta3guy_t.jpg
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is that just my screen or are those screenshots really dark?