Home General Discussion

How did Prey get overlooked by everyone?

DeathTrip
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
DeathTrip polycounter lvl 18
This game hasnt got any attention from gaming sites or G4(with their e3 coverage)

It looks seriously awesome imo.
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=6393&type=mov

- the portals are incredible! so f'ing seamless and a cool gameplay touch.
- the graphics look great; the indoors and outdoors, the weapons, the enemies.
- going upside-down or sideways is also very cool, might need a barf-bag =p

Replies

• gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    yeah i'm not sure--i was at E3 myself and didn't see it, though i did watch the UT2k7 presentation with some Prey teammembers (thanks moose!). the pc gamer shots when the game was revealed looked very Doom 3ish, but the shots really do the game no justice.

here's the link where i got it (lot of people on the bittorrent smile.gif )

http://www.filerush.com/download.php?target=E305PreyVideo.avi

and the footage is, indeed, pretty impressive. what i think is interesting is how close they've managed to stay to the original design 'hooks' from the original incarnation of the game we were seeing in the late 90's (portals, crazy gravity stuff) and make it look like a lot of fun. i was skeptical about the descriptions of some of the native american stuff, but Prey does indeed look to be making a very good case for itself.

also: HOORAY FOR GIBS! it's been a long while since we've seen a proper FPS with flying gibs like that; it almost brought a tear to my eye to see that in the footage

also: God bless the Prey team if they're still using the same Radiant-based editor that's built into Doom 3 to make those levels, because i cannot imagine working on all that walking-on-the-ceiling stuff in that editor, good as it is.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    It's going to be published through a streaming system only, I suppose the gaming mags were trained by the big publishers to ignore anything that circumvents the traditional publishing model [/tinfoil hat].
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    It looks really awesome pretty much as impressive as Doom 3 graphically speaking although I did think the Shamen guy was kinda cheezy looking. Anyways good luck to the Prey team it looks like they are making a very good game with the Doom 3 engine smile.gif
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Most interesting thing is the seemingly seamless scene transitions.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I like the native American portion. Wish they would push that even more. The organic weapons are amazing!

HumanHead ehh? Im interested. smile.gif
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks to SinisterGFX this was one I caught at E3. It was really nice to see the trailer in high res glory. Plenty of "Oh shit!" moments, which I really like in a game. Makes it more fun to tell people about. Like the gravity flipping, portals, little psycho kids, flying the ship, monster's crack, etc.

I was really suprised that no one was checking this out. AstroZombie and I walked right up and saw it.
  • Badname
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badname polycounter lvl 18
    When i saw the vid i was in love! ;D
    Realy cool stuff, I specialy like the levels and weapons. That part were you see the player flying to that small moon and the weapon he uses there damn I like it a lot.
    I also think if the game sells good its a future more games will follow special levels and gameplay, because i dont think were waiting for the next doom4 with better graphics.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    This is what I wanted to see, the next-gen technology being used and not just pitch black like the shitty Doom3. This looks good, amazing action using the engine that is so powerful but seem under-used in doom3 (they could have made it black black with sprites and you wouldn't notice the difference wink.gif)
  • m3rl1n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m3rl1n polycounter lvl 18
    This is probably one of the coolest and most inventive things I’ve seen in gaming since I started gaming, when everything was new, and that’s a long time ago. Compared to almost everything else I saw coming out of E3 this is easily top dog. I can’t believe it got passed over so easily. Thanks for passing on the link.

But the single best part about this (being a QuakeRadiant fan) is that it truly shows what the D3Engine can do. I don’t know how many times I tried to tell people that Doom 3 was more a tech demo then anything else and now that we’re seeing some of new games using the technology I feel somewhat vindicated tongue.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, that looks sweet. Some of the gameplay features seem really cool, like the portals, spirit-form thing, upside-down walkways and such.

Plus the monsters look cool ... and there are outdoor environments (although they still don't look quite as vast as some that the HL games showcased).

Some very nifty things going on like inverting gravity, physics-based stuff, and using vehicles ... it's like the best parts of D3, HL and Unreal thrown together!
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    hmm
    Standard gray normalmapped environments, check.
    Random features out of context like grav walking in a purposeless room, check.

I dunno, everything looks quite random to me, some good ideas thrown together without much tought, maybe the mediahas seen it all before often enough and normalmaps and monsters aren't so interesting by themselfes ?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, they reported on WW2 games so there was really no reason to overlook Prey. To me it looks like a fun environment, few people would notice that it seems to have no purpose outside of being a combat arena.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At this point I don't even care, I did have a problem with the crashing plane that turned me off at the start and it is a bit mindless but I'd still buy it if it would somehow push more games towards seemlessness(repeating myself). Still I'd like to know what they were running that game on it was as smooth as eggs.
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
    if you think about it, the plane is not so "mindless". it was probably coming from a portal and the pilot was like WHAT THE F...?!

i'm really impressed with the trailer, hats off to everyone who worked on it.
  • -=Warhead=-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -=Warhead=- polycounter lvl 18
    It reminds me of, Turok..
    I hope they have his famous line in this game, When you die and get revived.. he should say.. I am Prey!.. Instead of I am Turok!

oh yea im so cool..
  • Negadeth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Negadeth polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Most interesting thing is the seemingly seamless scene transitions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try saying that 10 times fast.

I'm looking forward to this game, quite nice to see a game I saw a trailer for way back when Shadow Warrior came out get resurrected again. I was looking forward to this game back then, and I often wondered whatever became of it.

I still do about DNF, so I guess if they can get this out the door it gives me hope that someday, DNF will be finished!
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    The best comment to come out of E3 I heard about Prey was 'It's doom3, with ideas!'

r.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's the second best (i.e. funniest) game comparison I read today (best was "GTA is just like Pac Man, except the dots are people").

I hope this game is really as far along as the video makes it look, would be awesome. But then again it's online download only so I guess I can forget about playing it until I'm outta here.
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    HOL-E-SHIYAT that looks awesome. Sure looks to be a short but sweet single player experience like pretty much all FPS games...but this one's sure got some sweet lookin quirky gameplay mechanics that should be fun to play with.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most interesting thing is the seemingly seamless scene transitions ten times fast.
    kleinluka I meant to say the plane part bothered me and the gameplay itself was a bit mindless.