Home General Discussion

Where are the doom 3 models?

Zitheral
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Zitheral polycounter lvl 18
I am curious why we haven't seen any Doom 3 work from the polycount community. It has been almost half a year... I would have expected some folks to have made a few weapons and maybe a character or two by now. Anyone have any insight as to why that is not the case? Is it too hard? Are the technical skill requirements too high these days? If so that makes me very sad. I am not an artist but as the project leader for the Weapons Factory franchise I stop by every once in a while hunt around for talent.

So what is holding people back from making Doom 3 assets? Is it just lack of interest in the engine or is there something about the difficulty that is causing it?

Replies

• Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    I've seen one. It's just such a big commitment and there aren't as many hipoly guys and gals as there are low/mid poly guys and gals.
  • Zitheral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is unfortunate for mod authors working with the Doom 3 engine technology. frown.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I know KDR_11k has made a few Doom3 player models, Vahl has made a couple, Teddy's made one and Pior's Fishboy is destined for Doom3.

The main problem is the game's lack of PPM support, I think, coupled with the fact that making a normal-mapped model takes longer and more effort than a low-poly model for Quake3 or UT.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Where are the Doom3 mods? huh? I remember seeing some anime chicks ingame. KDR's handywork no doubt.
  • Zitheral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weapons Factory is being created for Quake 4 because of Doom 3's dismal Network Performance... I am fairly confident that Quake 4 will have significantly better support for multiplayer. I think mods thrive on multiplayer gameplay for the most part and since Doom 3's support was so poor, the mod support was poor also. I know my WF team is going to start getting active over the next few months as soon as I find a concept artist and a modeller/animator smile.gif Artists are so hard to retain... they seem to get bored easily wink.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Hm, guess now that I have access to the MSDNAA software I could try properly setting up VC++ and start making a D3 1.3 version of the PPM support. Now if that would only fix the GUI editor I could also add a model selection GUI...

BTW, if you still have the 1.1 D3 binary hanging around, the mod is here.
  • Zitheral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Doom 3 1.3 SDK compiles perfectly out of the box... they even cleaned up the compiler warnings.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    For me personally, my own dissapointment with the game was enough to deter me from spending time modifying it. Perhaps that's ironic I don't know. But more than anything, it's as MoP said the lack of ppm support. That was it right there.

"Artists are so hard to retain... they seem to get bored easily"

They probably have other stuff to do. Like lead lives and earn money to pay the rent.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zith: Yes but I don't have Visual C++ (well, in about 2:30 hours the download will finish and I have it, I love MSDNAA) so I had to use some workaround involving the MS platform SDK and stuff which was pretty complicated to set up. After a reinstall it was all gone so now I'll try it with VC++. Didn't get any compiler warnings with the 1.1 SDK either.
  • Zitheral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

"Artists are so hard to retain... they seem to get bored easily"

They probably have other stuff to do. Like lead lives and earn money to pay the rent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes! It wasn't my intent to be derogatory smile.gif We all have lives. As a team leader I just seem to lose artists faster than say, level designers, coders, etc. Maybe it is their natural creativity that creates a desire to move on to different things grin.gif
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Also, the people that used to do all the models/skins for games now have jobs in the industry and are busy.
  • saturnfive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    saturnfive polycounter lvl 18
    I think Sonic is right..not enough free time frown.gif Apologies for the self-pimp, but I have a couple here I'm working on (just the high polys atm, in game shots to come) http://www.planetunreal.com/saturnfive/3d/3D.htm
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Holy cool, Batman! Those are some sweet map-objects, Saturnfive!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    No worries Zitheral. But it sure sounded derogatory : )
    Sonic hit the nail on the head. Most people skilled enough to make high quality content for advanced engines such as Doom3 are allready working in the industry. So free time is hardly forthcoming.
    Sweet stuff saturnfive.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Speaking of which, it would be nice if Vahl and Teddy finally released those models.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl released his spaceman model, im not sure if he ever finished the space girl.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah it's amazing the lack of Support for Doom 3 in the mod scene . I mean I have not even seen alternate textures or anything because even textures require a high poly model source ...
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    C:\Doom3\base\pak002.pk4
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    I think lots of ppl here work with normal mapped stuff daily. Its just a to big of commitment making normal mapped stuff on your spare time. And the time it takes, just makes it less fun.

Does the mod scene really need normalmapps? I think it will just make it even harder for the “moders” to actually finish what they started.

/Palm
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

"Artists are so hard to retain... they seem to get bored easily

[/ QUOTE ]

Well on the mod Im on. It was the programmers who flaked out! :P
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    Btw.. Nice stuff there Saturnfive.

/Palm
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    hey Zitheral, im looking forward to the new incarnation of WF smile.gif

any of the WFA, or WFUT dudes working on it? WF has always been the one mod least recognized, yet with a lot of really fun, cool stuff in it. WFA was the only reason why i played Q3A continually, and WFUT kept my interest in UT smile.gif and it will probably be a reason for me to play Q4, but you should be making it for UT2007 *wink*

good luck to ya, and slap V3N0M in the face!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does the mod scene really need normalmapps?

No, you can just throw an 8x8 image filled with #7f7fff at it.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think mods thrive on multiplayer gameplay for the most part and since Doom 3's support was so poor, the mod support was poor also.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you answered your own question =)

I have zero desire to play Doom 3 multiplayer, so that leaves me with zero motivation to create content for it.

Here's hopeing that Quake 4 or ET: Quake Wars changes that.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I am curious why we haven't seen any Doom 3 work from the polycount community.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I don't like the look, they made just about everything black/white with this dull shine to it. Its like the monsters have the same spec maps as the walls!? I also didn't care much for the game play or story.

For others I think its the lack of multi-player (I think they have it now, too little too late) that keeps them from making models.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MP was in D3 from the beginning, though only as little as you would expect from a primarily SP game. The game that brought MP with a patch later on was HL2.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    quake 3 was it. sort of an enigma...
  • jRocket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jRocket polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The game that brought MP with a patch later on was HL2.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Actually HL2 had multiplayer from the beginning with Counter-Strike:Source.
  • Zitheral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    hey Zitheral, im looking forward to the new incarnation of WF smile.gif

any of the WFA, or WFUT dudes working on it? WF has always been the one mod least recognized, yet with a lot of really fun, cool stuff in it. WFA was the only reason why i played Q3A continually, and WFUT kept my interest in UT smile.gif and it will probably be a reason for me to play Q4, but you should be making it for UT2007 *wink*

good luck to ya, and slap V3N0M in the face!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, yes... quite a few. I was a programmer for WFA from the beginning and project leader during the 2.0 and later time frame... I went by the name Static then though. I think you would be surprised at how many people know about WF. It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but a good portion of quake 2/3 players know what Weapons Factory is smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jRocket: But CS isn't HL2. It doesn't use the same weapons or setting as HL2 and without the gravgun it just isn't HL2.

Zitheral: Dunno, whenever I read "Weapons Factory" I translate that to "different name for Team Fortress".
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    hehe, i love WF, the cyborg is king; plasma bombs, are the coolest thing to happen to class based ctf.

finish it!
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    As someone who has worked the developer side of the mod community (while I was at id), encouraging and aiding community members to enhance my employer's game with mods and extend its life, I think the nail has been hit on the head by a number of posts here. Here are my assessments of what is likely going on with poor PPM mod support for the game:

Poor multiplayer support in the game itself. id (in the person of John Carmack) admits that Quake 3 was to be their end-all and be-all of deathmatch style multiplayer. id made attempts to support the community, but it was all mostly unofficial ... and not smiled upon by id management. Team arena wasn't the greatest game expansion in the world, but it never should have been as complicated as it was to make your own team for that game. I still tip my hat to the Brothers Grimm and Dark Horizon for their work on their Tour de Force original team project.

Lackluster multiplayer. Maybe I run in the wrong circles these days, but I don't hear any groundlevel player buzz for starting up D3 servers. It has been my experience that people make player models and skins for games they love to play, so they can show off skills, personalize teams. Quake had that in spades; Quake 2 had some of the most original and creative player models I've seen for any game and no end of player skins ... and it had a mode for transferring that content to other players; and Quake 3 had a variety of interesting player models upon which to mount skins, but pure servers and the tendency of players to force player models on opponents (everyone became the glow-in-the-dark Bones character), and the three-part character model set-up put a damper on some creativity (while inspiring others).

The bar is too high. Doom 3 has an overly-complicated production pipeline. id underestimated the complexity of their production pipeline for D3 from day one. The complexity of process required to get normal-mapped model into the game can be overwhelming, even for professionals. It's far and away too complex for casual artists and game mod makers. Even with the export tools being a part of the game code, the bar is too high for anyone without near pro skills to jump and make anything they are willing to share. And I don't even want to dwell on the tools needed for the pipeline. If you do it the way id did, then you need both Lightwave (for modeling), and Maya (for animating) in your toolset. Though I understand that converters exist for other tools now.

Style. If your work isn't done in the id style it won't fit the world. Quake 1 was klunky enough to allow a wide range of art styles ... it wasn't quite so embarrassing for a neophyte artist to share his art. Quake 2 (and UnReal) started raising the bar ... and the community was more than willing to accept a mix of cartoon characters, superheroes, and grim figures mixing it up together. Quake 3 and UT pretty much demanded that the art at least be polished for a model or skin to be accepted. But I just don't see that in Doom 3 ... or any of the super realistic game mods coming out right now.

Anyone who can make decent model art for a D3 PPM can work as an artist in the game industry ... if they desire. And for most folks who invest a lot of time in this process, that's their dream and goal.

Finally ... game diversity is with us now. In the "old days" everyone focused their multiplayer and mod activity on one hot game at time and the shelf life interest for that game was often years, not months. By the time Quake 2 shipped, it wasn't long before it was competing with Unreal for mod attention. Artists shifted their attention between Quake 3 and UT for several years. Now, there's an annual UT update and a host of aging Q3 engine games to distract modelers, and I won't even go into HL2 or BF'42 and its heirs.

The focus is gone.

Maybe id learned from Quake 3 and Team Arena ... if it's too easy for amateur game makers to make mod content for your game, it will be difficult to convince the public to buy your expansion packs.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Paul that was a very interesting read, I'm certainly convinced that quake3 was the pinnacle of modding, and team arena could have been a little bit easier to build teams for. As someone who lead a (quake3 based) mod team for 3 years, watching the ground slip away from under ones feet as new games came out totally diluting the audience, I see it as being virtually impossible to mod new games.

Well, unless developers start releasing simple tools for quick deforming of existing models, although this is usually seen as quite patronising and possibly detrimental to the games IP.

PPM RIP 2005?
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    I actually think it may have peaked at Quake 2 ... one of the last "everybody is playing THIS game" type of games.

But it will take some game like that where the engine allows for crazy creativity and everybody can't wait to make PPMs because everyone can use them and see them in use for the hobby of PPM creation to get another boost. And it will take a production pipeline that is accessible to an average, bit-more-than-casual hobbyist.
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Does the mod scene really need normalmapps?

No, you can just throw an 8x8 image filled with #7f7fff at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No need to be a sarcastic, you ass.

/Palm
  • Zitheral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That was a great reply... thanks Paul.

As I think back to the WF's origins in Quake 2, I remember that we didn't make our own models aside from a few weapons. It was much simpler back then... people's expectations were a lot lower. I wonder if we will have to regress a bit and go back to retexturing stock assets rather than making total conversions while we wait for toolsets to catch up to technology. During the quake 1/quake 2 days it still wasn't particularly easy to learn things like how to make a skin mesh from a model in 3dsmax. The number of people who could do it were very small. But by the time Quake 3 rolled around, it seemed like we had quite a few people who had learned. Nowadays, modern games require a lot more than that. It is my hope that in time, we will see the quality of the creation tools increase to the point where it becomes accessible to hobbists. Maybe until then we will just have to go back to reskinning existing player models and hoping someone will make the less complicated weapon models to give our games their own unique feel.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Palm, I don't think KDR_11k was being sarcastic there, actually smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Half and half. That actually works and noone complained when I posted pics of that schoolgirl back then.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Team arena wasn't the greatest game expansion in the world, but it never should have been as complicated as it was to make your own team for that game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually bought TA and enjoyed the gameplay quite a bit, but firmly believe that id should have released it as a free add-on for Quake 3; much like Epic and DE do with their free bonus packs for the UT series.
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    Ok.. I'm an ass.=)

/Palm
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I actually bought TA and enjoyed the gameplay quite a bit, but firmly believe that id should have released it as a free add-on for Quake 3; much like Epic and DE do with their free bonus packs for the UT series.

[/ QUOTE ]

and yet, we all play the free Enemy territory or Source CS at DE tongue.gif ...i doubt tho that they will make Quakewars free this time smile.gif