Home General Discussion

Quitting?

Weiser_Cain
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
Some of you may have noticed it was my birthday yesterday. It's got me thinking(among other things, like my enevitable demise and how many I should take with me) of quiting work after this year to focus on my artwork. As it is other than the sketches I do on the way to and from work I get maybe a half day's worth of work done a week.
I'm not super fond of the job but there's plenty of room for advancement and crazy job security. I'd just rather I not spend my life on this, yet I am a complete and total coward when it comes to things like this. What do you think?

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Do your job AND your art. I've been working the same - SHITTY (grr!!) - fulltime job for near 3 years while I practice my skills as a 2D and 3D artist. If you're smart about it you can easily balance both.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I agree with Bromey. Keep the 9-5 and treat your art as a job. Set a few hours or more a day to work on it. I think quitting without another job is tough to do. Just be diligent with improving your work. Polycount is probably the best place to be for that.

Although, I had a friend that wasn't in the industry go move in with a mutual friend that was. He was able to learn from him and really focus on having someone there to get him working all the time. That's probably the only was I could ever see doing something like that.
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    I take it you still live with mommy & daddy? Most people cant just up and quit their day job to focus on improving their skills.

Even still, you need money to pay the bills and put food on the table. Dont quit your job. Thats the worst thing you can do. Then it will turn into "oh i'll just play a game instead of work on my skills" and thats not the kind of motivation you need.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I take it you still live with mommy & daddy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that sure was insulting.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    maybe try find a job with less hours but ok pay so you can make ends meet each month and still get more time for your art.

oh.. and happy birthday
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    I'd quit for sure. Unless I worked at Kinko's wink.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Find yourself a sugar momma. And living close to a grandparent means free food, smaller grocery bill. We all have to work. I have the belief that advancement and job security is not a living if it's not something you can enjoy. Otherwise I'd be a grocery store manager with 2 kids and a mortgage right now. Or maybe I just haven't grown up yet. I don't know your story, but try to pick what's best in the long run. And keep your goals realistic.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    At one point I was going to art school, working at a restaraunt, and going trying to make quake 3 mods. What I did was quit school and changed my work schedule to be Friday night, Saturday double shift, and Sunday double shift. I had Monday - Friday to work on my Quake 3 mods and improve my Max skills. Six months later I landed an interview and a job, thanks to a friend of a friend.

Later on, as a pay it forward kind of thing, I let Skanker stay with me and not pay rent until he got an industry job also. Luckily it only took about 3 monthes.

I guess my only advice is that until your art and portfolio are your primary focus, you won't get an industry job. I gave up my art school degree because I realized I didn't really need it.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    ok. Dont get pissed at me or anything ok weiser? But dont quit your job yet,as I dont think your stuff is industry quality..yet. I see you working hard on the boards and I have no doubt you will get your skills up to par, but as it stands, dont quit your day job my friend, at least not yet. Im just trying to be honest man, please dont be offended.

BUT!!! if you have a way to take care of your self i.e. Mom and dad sugarmomma etc. Then bury yourself in your art coccoon and dont come out till your a beautifull game industry butterfly.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    I say if have the means to do it ...do it ... if I won the lottery I wouldnt work anymore just do whatever I wanted ..
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I say do whats best for you and ignore all our advice one way or another on here. These all are both based on subjective opinions of the individuals experiences. What may happen good/bad for them does not mean will happen to you.

Whatever you choose, good luck. smile.gif
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I was being very straight to the point. Not all of us can just up and quit our bill-playing day jobs and just start doing something else fulltime so I just assumed hes living at home still.

Take it as you will. But wasnt my intention to be insulting.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yah I still live with mom and could live with a few other people if I needed to but I have my own bathroom and kitchen here. I'd have to be mad to leave! No one ever got rich renting.
    As for my skills? I don't know, most of my stuff is done at 3 in the morning on sunday in a last ditch effort to get to some artwork so I don't feel like I blew another weekend. I feel like I'm barely trying, it's no wonder ghost rider isn't impressed. I feel like I'm falling behind the curve after seeing what all the new engines can do.

I'll have to wait at least a year(unless this promotion comes through) before I can do anything anyway. Thanks for the comments I'll think on what's been said.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i totally quit my job and did only artwork for 3 years of life and it was the best thing i ever did.. i traveled across the country, sometimes hitchhiking, hopped some trains.. lived in new orleans, san fransisco, New york.. life is too short to be stuck behind a desk or a register, or washing dishes.. sometimes i would pick up odd jobs, sometimes i would sell paintings.. made friends with people that worked at coffee shops in new orleans and got whatever bread and scones they did sell that day.. i met a ton of crazy people and did so many wild things that i know i would of missed out on if i just got a job a kinkos or a resturant... if you dare there is a life to be lived and its not in traffic or at ruby tuesdays, and it dosent come on at primetime on sundays..
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    I agreew with monster, i have the same story to tell as him.

It was coolw hat you did for skank dude, I didnt know that.

-R
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    rather than quit your job, lay off those evil time consuming games.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I quit being a salmon carver / chef's assistant to be unemployed and live at home with my mum learning to make game art and selling enough skins to quake clans to pay for the phone bills while modems were pay per minute in the uk.

Eventually this paid off, I worked 36 hour shifts on the pc then slept for half a day as a routine and became very isolated in my determination to get a job. I alienated all my friends during the process but that didnt matter to me.

In the end I almost quit because I had so many near things and part time deals that led nowhere that I made a last ditch attempt to try also for a comic artist job.
    I spent the last of my money attending a comic convention down south, found a couple offers and by the time I got back I had a flat out offer waiting for me from Reflections in my inbox and 4 days later I had relocated to start there smile.gif

That was April 4th, 7 years ago.

I think I managed thanks to sheer bloody minded determination more than due to talent or skill. Looking back I think I just produced such a large amount of work across a wide enough variety of mediums and disciplines that it was clear I would work hard and do whatever was required of me and that set me apart from all the glory boys who just had a portfolio of quake clone character textures.

Somewhere inside you , you know if you have what it takes, or if you are just unhappy with your current course and looking for sympathy and a break.
    If you KNOW you can do it, just do it.
    If you suspect too strongly that you are fooling yourself, then give yourself a slap and get back to work.

Seriously, it takes a LOT of personal drive to do it yourself. 80% of the people I started out in the community with and respected greatly have not amounted to much or have disappeared.

If this is what you have to do, do it. If its simply what you think you might like to do then forget about it.

Good luck whatever you decide.

r.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

I think I managed thanks to sheer bloody minded determination more than due to talent or skill. Looking back I think I just produced such a large amount of work across a wide enough variety of mediums and disciplines that it was clear I would work hard and do whatever was required of me and that set me apart from all the glory boys who just had a portfolio of quake clone character textures.

Seriously, it takes a LOT of personal drive to do it yourself. 80% of the people I started out in the community with and respected greatly have not amounted to much or have disappeared.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two very telling statments.
    I work with sheet metal and I am damn good, but I have worked with many guys over the last 25 years who are better than me, but they had no interest in it other than a paycheck. One of them works for me now wink.gif

If you want a career in a field like this read both of those quotes and focus on them as you practice and hopefully, sharpen your skills.
    This is an entertainment industry, a lot of the people who are successfull echo the same words.

You have to really have THE WANT!
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Weiser, I hope I didn't discourage you in any way, that's the last thing I would ever want to do. Listen to Ror he's like the Big brother of this joint. If you are young and dont have any big commitments (Wife and kids) go at it 100%. You got the time. But like anything good in this Life, It doesent come easy.
    That said, You do have potential to be a great artist. Ive been on these boards and others long enough to see guys starting out turn into total studs. Like the others have said you just need to want it bad enough, all your will must be bent on it. If you were a totally sucky artist to begin with, I probably would have told you to keep 3d as a hobby or something. But like I said, you got the potential. So do what you gotta do.

BTW how old are you?
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calculator says I'm 27. I think I've been resisting becoming a responsable adult because I want to be an artist. I figure I'll pay off everyone I owe, build a new computer and make sure everything's cool on the car. Then I'll sit down for a year hammering away at modeling and animation. If after that I still suck I'll say it wasn't meant to be and go beg for my job back.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Well, it's never too late man. I didn't get into this bizz until I was a little younger than you.
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Reading what you've been saying, I can't help but think you're procrastinating from focusing on game art. You want to pay off your debts. You want to build a new computer. You want to fix up your car. And finally, you want to wait at least a year for the promotion to come through. Why do you want to even wait until after the promotion comes through, anyways? You'll just probably have more responsibilities that'll keep you away from working on your art.

Oh, and the thing about "no one ever got rich renting", I don't think many have gotten rich by being a game artist.

But, whatever.
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm..I don't think being a professional modeler is exactly the highest paying job, you have to enjoy doing it. I don't think 3D artwork is one of those jobs that you get to pay the bills. Its more of a job that you get to do something you like, and wait :O, you get payed to do it.

I'm not a big "make a plan for life" person, but you might want to set some goals. If you want to eat sleep and breathe modeling and concepting for a year, be my guest. But what are you going to do for food, girls, nights out with the guys [you know wink.gif], etc. ?

Not to be harsh, but you can't mooch off of everyone while you do this "artwork coccoon thing" [thanks for the metaphor ghost tongue.gif] . I say, keep the job, and do artwork in the spare time you have. Develope your skills, create a solid portfolio and look for some work. I really think that quiting your job will just make artork insignificant. I mean...art supplies, internet bill, pc repairs, software. There are going to be some expenses for artwork.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All in all it should take a year and change, promo or no. With the promotion I'd have a nicer nest egg at the end of it all(like 25k more). I've avoided a lot of responsibilities but there are a few things I need to do(car, as I live far from the center of the city, my peice of the morgage for a year or more, etc) then I'm free. If I rented I couldn't afford to do this at all. If I wanted money I'd stop following my dreams and get into a more lucrative business, that sounds cheesy.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe take out all your vacation days and see if you manage to improve your skills rather than just being lazy. Unless ofcourse you guys dont have vacation days in the states, if so just play ill for a week or two.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well Weiser, Im the same age as you, with a game industry job that pays the bills supports a family and still leaves a bit left over for fun stuff.
    I decided I wanted to go into game art 100% when I was 23. I was a newly wed living in a one bedroom basment apartment. My father had bought me a computer and my wife bought me a copy of max 4 (student discount) and I worked the crappiest jobs around just to make ends meet (used car saleman) I would work all day come home give my wife some attention and then sit my ass down for 5 hours a day doing the max tutorials and trying to make my own stuff. I would try to visualize what I wanted with my demo reel, and what I could actually do. As soon as I had a demo reel I thought I could be proud of (which I realize is total shit now) I scouted out all the game studios in Salt Lake (there are quite a few) I got maybe two interviews that werent very serious, I think the felt sorry for me and were trying to point me in the right direction.
    I asked a great local utah artist Named Mike May to critique my art, and he basically told me I suck balls. I almost quit art all together, but I realized I did suck balls compared to what the pro's were doing. I think that was a turning point. I focused on Figure drawing and really tring to emulate what some of these great artist did.
    I had enough material for my second demo reel. Then in june of 2003 I got my first gig at a little independent studio, I was there untill november of last year. Working full time making art, my skills greatly improved. I got a few shipped titles (little obscure budget games mind you) but I now had experience and I had defeated the Catch 22.
    In november I got a job offer from a larger studio where I currently am and only hope to work for larger studios and in greater capacity from here on out. I want to be in this industry for the rest of my life.
    Sorry for giving you my life story, but That's how I did it. It might shed some light on your dilemma.
  • Frankie V
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie V polycounter lvl 18
    If your not happy then quit.

BUT

Have something lined up first. Start looking for something that you want to do and apply for it. Your in the position where you have some security of a steady pay cheque and can afford to take a long look at your options. Also play the game by giving your current employers two weeks notice before you move on. They will probably be pissed that you are “moving on” but will respect your decision and you more by leaving the right way, if there is such a thing.

There is nothing wrong with leaving a job if you feel that it is time to move on. Just don’t bail unless you have some where else to go or you can afford to take the time off.
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think Marine had the best advice. Put away the video games and TV. Focus on doing your art, then if that all works out, then consider quitting your job after you have some momentium. Quitting your job cold turkey will only result in you spending more time sitting at home infront of the TV or some game playing.

Never ever tell yourself playing a video game is "research" that leads to lazyness and lazyness leads to the dark side...
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Well I suggest to you not to quit and just make time to do art, even if that means just changing your schedule to do so. Ideally you want to be working, why, simple so you don't get depressed thinking about all the crap you need to be doing to be responsible, plus it avoids things like artist blocks. If you hate your current job keep it until you find something better, and focus your energy/rage/whatever you want to call it, that you have for your current employer/job, on making your reel. I did retail jobs, then got to quit to do some tech support in a lab and make twice as much as before. Now I have my old spark back and I guess I'll see what happens. Quiting won't help you much if you can't focus on making your art. Try to do a finished model a month if you only have a few hrs a week to do anything. Look for another job even if it's part time so you can at least get out of your "studio" and meet new people and avoid getting burned out. When I graduated out of school way back in 2000 I was determined to never go back to retail and get a job in my field. I lived off my savings until I had to go get any job to able to pay my bills. I used to work 12 to 20 hrs seven days a week training myself so I could get a 3D artist position. I did burn myself out to a degree and when I got work again in retail things got very bad. I suggest you stay making money so when you have to spend some on getting ready for interviews and other crap you have to do to get a good job you can afford it. When I look back I wish I just had been mature enough to get shit job right away and kept my savings since it would have made things a lot easier. Keep in mind that your mood will affect your ability to make artwork, so even if you did have all the time in the world after you quit your current job you might not be able to do anything. Before you quit find out how your family will react and feel about you not working. If you don't you might find yourself getting asked to move out. Good luck.

Alex