Home General Discussion

Need some inspiration here :(

Enix
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Enix polycounter lvl 18
Just been pondering a few things about this carrer choice. You know, game art, 3d modeling, 2d artwork. I have been having some doubts latley if im just another kid seeing all of the professionals doing the cool things and wanting to be like them. I have beeing modeling for about a year now. I'm a 15 year old freshman from ohio, I have little or no knowledge of anatomy. I know that I still have 3 very long years ahead of me untill I can even go to school for game design.

I really would love to get a job working for a company releasing a game for one of my beloved consoles... But I just don't know if I have what it takes. I post something here and feel like im the newb of the board, I know I havn't been here for long, but it really blows to have no one take me seriously. Even posting this makes me feel like a newb crying out for attention, but I just want to know if anyone thinks a 15 year old with a.d.h.d has a chance to make it in the game industry...

Replies

• ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    give yourself four years. seriously. keep at it and see where you stand after graduating high school. I didn't start this stuff til I was 19. hell I didn't have a computer or the internet til I was 18, and I'm still trying. atleast you have a headstart. enjoy highschool, friends, girls...then focus on career choices.
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Ofcourse smile.gif. But I do want to model, but I just want to model every freaking second of the day, and with school, thats not exactly possible :P. I'm just so affraid that by time I can get into the industry, things will be so advanced that I will have to be working on normal mapped models on the Nintendo GameBoy3dfx or something tongue.gif.I'm just worried that I won't be skilled enough to make uber high poly models. High poly models are just so much of a bother to me.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    With all that you've shown so far (from your pokemod work, to random game assets, and the cute puppy) I think you're progressing rather well and have nothing to worry about. I like your style. And normal mapping isn't the future for every one. I like a little color myself. Try keeping up to date by using different software. MayaPLE and XSImodtool will keep you on top. that'll be handy when looking for employment. try giving subD modeling a try. and I wouldn't be complaining about school keeping you down. some people have to pay the bills. atleast you have the luxury of sketching concepts when the teacher isn't looking.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    There are some seniors at my college who have far less talent then you do. You have TONS of time.
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    Dude, you're 15. Enjoy being young because eventually you're gonna miss it (advice coming from a 25 year old, ugh).

If you really want to be a great modeler, start by becoming a great artist. Anyone who is good at sculpture also has good drawing skills; they just go hand in hand. You've stated it yourself that you don't know anatomy very well, and I think it's that knowledge factor that really has you more worried than not being to model high poly. Sure, modeling high poly is an important skill, but understanding the funadmentals of form and value are WAY more important.

You're off to a good start. Now, take a few years to develop kick ass drawing skills, and you'll be well on your way. It's a long, hard road to game development, so take it one step at a time, like that Chinese proverb.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Funks right, 3D is a nice hobby for now, but focus on being a great artist. Learn to see things differently than others and get a sense of what you're into.

You have 3 years left of high school and then another 4 at the college of your choice. Though I was drawing and painting all the time, I really didn't start getting serious about game art until about my junior year of college, and I got a job smile.gif

Don't believe the notion that you need to lose your life for the stuff too. There's plenty of time for girls and beers throughout your coming years so long as that's the weekend and art is your day job.

And on another note, go Ohio! I was born and raised there, but got the hell out of there when I landed my first industry gig. If you need to stay instate for college, shoot me a mail, I know a few.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    take your time, I only started moddeling in grade 11 in high school as a hobby to make my own add-on cars for carmageddon 2, it was only 4 years after I started modeling I decided I wanted to make a carrer out of digital art (and still trying)

Wait till you fully mature to make solid decisions for the future.
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    Sidenote: There *ARE* other jobs in the game industry other than art.

Just a thought, and also you have TONS of time to practice and improve. Just dont dick around too much and get cracking on learning E_V_E_R_Y_T_H_I_N_G you can get your grubby hands on.

Start with checking out some anatomy books from the library.
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Some very encouraging comments in here. Thanks guys, I really needed it smile.gif. I guess I will just pwn myself with anatomy and drawing for 3 years... And ofcourse the occasional model tongue.gif.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Well now that I've though it about it more, you should looks up some artists sites and looks through there bio's and faq's. Often you find what kinda education they had, and how they got into the industry. one of my favorites is www.artbyfeng.com he just oozes with kick ass'ness.

As for anatomy, I suggest saving up about $40 and goto a book store and find a good anatomy book, and start learning how the human body is structured. Of course you can just google anatomy all over the place if you don't got the cash.

you might as well get ahead start, since anatomy takes a good while, even years to learn.