Home General Discussion

which tablet/pen do you use?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
i really want to take advantage of illustrator/etc, but drawing with a mouse is really really frustrating, so i'm giving in and spending my hard-earned cash on a tablet/pen. ideally a tablet pc would do, but i can only spend <200 right now.

i heard wacom tablets are excellent, so i was thinking the graphire3 6x8... what do y'all use/recomend?

Replies

• Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    I use a Intuos 2 9X12 tablet with the stock pen, I paid $600-700 canadian 2 years ago (I would of gotten a 6X8 instead, but I had money to blow...), however it's cheaper these days.

I've used a Graphire 2 before, it's still good, but not as comfterble as using a Intuos tablet.

I also perfer intuos cause it has more of a pencil feel, while the graphire 2 feels slick like plastic.

I've I were you, I'd invest into a Intuos tablet, It's abit more, but it's worth it since it will last you for years to come, and you can expand your pens. (especially with the Intuos 3 tablets and there new 6D pen which supports tilt, and now rotation)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I have a refurbished Intuos 6x8 and it works like a champ
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    my old boss uses a mouse with illustrator, and he's a world famous character designer.

(although I agree, it's better with a wacom)

I personally use a Sapphire A6 (from the graphire family), and used to use a Intuos 2 A5. If I were going to buy a new one, I'd go for the Intuos 3 A5 or A6, like Rwolf. The Intuos supports more sensitivity and functions like Tilt & Airbrush, which are really essential for programs like painter.

I also use my wacom for 3d modelling, very acurate but you're unable to rest it in place like with the mouse.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Wacom Intuos 2 A4 here. I love it!
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    try graphire 6x8, they're cheap and good, see if you like it, if you really like it then upgrade to intuos 2 or 3 smile.gif both are excellent, but I still prefer the graphire pen since its thinner. smile.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I have an Intuos3 6x8. I've disabled the right side scroll pad, and set the keys to my personal preference, and I love it.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    rocking the intuous 3 9x12... yes, the one with the excellent buttons and scrolly thing on the sides smile.gif

personally i recommend trying as many different sizes of tablets as you can so that you don't drop money on a tablet that's too big for you. which is to say that there have been many people at companies who have found that even though they can afford to get a 9x12 or larger tablet, they've been much more comfortable with the 6x8 size. the intuous 3 line has some really convenient programmable buttons on it, but that's if you've got the money for it. i'd say that a 6x8 of any of the intuous lines you'd be quite happy with.
  • Kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kirin polycounter lvl 18
    I still have a Grapphire1 3x4 tablet ... the tablet works but the buttons on the side of the pen are busted ...

I'm looking to getting an Intuous someday ... probably something larger than 3x4.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    I have a nice big and new Intuos 3, with those funky buttons on the sides with transparent and glossy plastic surface. I keep touching the right scrollpad with my hand when using it which completely screws up what i'm doing but i'm too lazy or always forget to turn it off too.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    I've been using my Intuos 2 (SPECIAL EDITION!!!!) for years now .. hehe.. Im thinking about going for a cintiq maaaybeeee later this summer, I dunno

b1ll
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Intuos 6x8 at work, 5x7 at home. Both are great, gut I'm starting to like the bigger one a bit more. Wouldn't want any bigger than that though.
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Wow... so wacom is the way to go eh? And as for model, I'd like tilt sensitivity, but it's a bit out of my price range, considering that I think 6x8 will be best, but I dont really know. BTW, I'm a hobbyist, not a professional, so it's not like I'll get profit out of this thing smile.gif

Where can I try these out, before I buy?
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Well I don't think you can demo the wacoms anywhere (to my knowledge) The closest thing is the demo Tablet PC's, but they usually remove the pen to prevent thevies. (mind you tablet PCs cost 2x more than a regular labtop, although most tablet PC's use Wacoms technology)

If your just a hobbyist, I'd guess go for the graphire series. But if you plan on any digital art proffession go for the Intuos series.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I have a refurbished Intuos 6x8 and it works like a champ

[/ QUOTE ]
  • DH_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DH_ polycounter lvl 18
    Intuos 3 9x12 here, its good!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Damn you, DH.
    BoBo bought a Intuos3 while he was working here, made me jealous frown.gif

I'm using a 9x12 Intuos2 @ work, and a 6x8 Intuos1 @ home. I like the 9x12 more though - it's perfect for me strokes. Need to save up for a new Intuos3 for home. wink.gif