Home General Discussion

texture database help

Mojo2k
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
Hey i'm thinking about making a way of organizing a large texture database, (hundreds maybe thousands of immages) and not sure of a way of going around it, would like maybe a way to make an html that would show thumbnails of ALL images in a folder, but with a way to tell it not to show certain images like ones with suffixs like _normalmap _spec map and such, maybe have it do 100 thumbs per page, any ideas? i don't know much about htm or code so looking for sugestions to narrowy my search in the right direction

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Well, I guess your best bet would be an actual 'database' : the mysql database holds all the info about the images and php code (executed from the html page) process the queries and fetch the information in the lists. I think it can even create the thumbnails on the fly...

Each image has it's own unique ID, but is stored into particular columns (spec, normal, aso). You can then perform a query/search and display the relevant entries.

You can grab Mysql & Php for dummies, they have some neat examples in it : they basically teach you how to create a virtual petshop catalog, with search functions like color, species and all. I've not been through that myself (and forgot everything I've learned so far) but I'm sure some skilled ppl can help you with that. Rick maybe?

Nice idea anyways, but a bit tough to put in practice... Interesting! Good luck with this project smile.gif
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe you could throw in a system with tags as well, like flicker or de.li.cious has, so you could type in "metal + rust" and get all of the images that have been tagged with "metal" and "rust"
    I know that isn't really much help, but maybe someone who actually knows his/her html could tell you how to do that
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I've got a Python script that throws everything in my Ref folders onto an HTML page, sorted by folders. Python is not the kind of language most hosts have installed so I guess that doesn't count.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    That'd be a simple php script. If you want, you could tell me exactly what you want and I'd be happy to write it for you.

my aim is leeharris100, and my email is leeharris100@gmail.com
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'd be willing to contribute to this. I have a few thousand pictures I could part with.