Home General Discussion

Photoshop weirdness

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
I'm starting to have a problem when using the gaussian blur tool in PS on my home rig. It's a brand new, suped up Dell with a bigger flat panel monitor than I've ever owned. the trouble is, often times images will have vertical bars when I use the g. blur. Stranger yet, images made on my office machine with a CRT are fine, but when I bring them home they looked screwed up. When I look at these images in the windows picture viewer the bars show up less. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Replies

• Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    might be the resolution you have chosen for your Flat screen (if it's a LCD screen, some graphics are garbled depending on resolution)

I stick to tradtional CRT's anyway for digital art. As they still can produce 32 bit colour while LCD are still at 16 bit
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's odd, because my flat panel far and away seems to have better color quality than the CRT. I too was skeptical at first, but now there's no going back. Sometimes I feel like taking it to work with me. smile.gif
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    -on your desktop right click
    -choose properties
    -ensure the color quality is at 32-bit

Other than that I cant think of any other reason you'd have banding.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    You can also get banding simply from trying to create too subtle a gradient.

r.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup, it's 32 bit. I also just discovered that erasing a blurred layer even with a soft round brush garners chunky, pixelated brush strokes instead.

I think we're dealing with a gypsy curse at this point.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I used to have this problem with my LCD. If I remember rightly, updating the graphic card drivers fixed the problem.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    LCD's display 32 bit color fine...they are however not color accurate, and have viewing angle issues, unless they are very expensive models.
    Your problem sounds like it may be an interpolation issue?
    I'd say try adjusting your display resolution down or up if possible. Update your display drivers, and direct X.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    i think its the clarity at which lcd's display colors, and for 32 bit images. If the gradient is too fine, or blur too heavy, the blur will appear jagged due to having 8 bits per channel.

even at 16 bits per channel this could show up - because i dont think photoshop cs can handle that fine of dithering. Maybe in CS2.... but i think there is a certain breaking point with pixels and values in image channels.

someone at work was having a similar problem - when he and i thought his monitor/ps was fucked up - i tried it on my machine and at a super high blur it showed up as well. Not nearly as bad (his was looking shitty at a 10 blur), but it may have something to do with nvidia sharpness settings, or other digital clarity settings from an LCD.

im still trying to get my ps at home to not draw blues fucking purple. its driving me insane.
  • pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    What model is the Dell flat panel. If its one of the ones that they throw in for free with the computer, chances are its a 6 bit/channel LCD vs the 8 bit/channel.

The image may be 32bit color, but the LCD can only display 18 bit color. This may not sound like a lot of color difference, but a 24bit LCD will display 16,700,000 colors and a 18bit only displays 262,000. Thats a huge difference.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll have to check when I get home, but it's definitely not the free one. As of a few monthes ago, it was their best, highest rated model. I made sure to snag a good one.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    might be the resolution you have chosen for your Flat screen (if it's a LCD screen, some graphics are garbled depending on resolution)

I stick to tradtional CRT's anyway for digital art. As they still can produce 32 bit colour while LCD are still at 16 bit

[/ QUOTE ]

Rwolf, I once saw monkeys on the moon. Playing golf.