Home General Discussion

Oblivion 360 shots

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
I got a chance to work on characters for Elder Scrolls 4 oblivion along with some other polycounters here, and Bethesda just released the new screenshots for the 360 version of their game which is now featuring a shot of one of the characters I made, the Lich smile.gif

http://www.elderscrolls.com/art/obliv_xbox360_screens_01.htm

Replies

• Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Hot damn I can't until that game is released. Too few single rpg's being released these days.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Yay I worked on this too! But no screenies. *sad
  • Vark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vark polycounter lvl 18
    hah sweet. We've definitely gotten some good milage out of the Lich Rockstar, nice work smile.gif
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Nice job. Just out of curiousity, how do you guys work on stuff when you're employed elsewhere? Doesn't contract work violate your current contracts?
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    I'd guess they work freelance or somesuch, but that's just a guess on my part.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    None of my stuff there either frown.gif
  • DH_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DH_ polycounter lvl 18
    nice stuff v, show us more! nitzmoff, most companies dont care if you do freelance on the side, but some do, like the one I work for, otherwise I'd probably be doing side stuff too.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    They care if you try and make a little more money on the side ??....time to find another job IMO . Anyways looks cool rockstar looking forward to seeing it in game.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Is is really that surprising that most co.s dont like you doing stuff on the side?! It's not really about the extra money pogonip. If you're obviously doing a lot of freelance work, then you're arguably not fully commited to the project you're on, and furthermore contributing to the success of rival companies.
    These aren't my words or opinion I hasten to add. smile.gif

Looks great dude. And congrats to all who worked on it, cos it sure does look beautiful. That oustide shot with the back of the knight there is stunning.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    I guess I just see all the artists here and at CGtalk and other places who do a lot of freelance work to make ends meat and it does not make sense to me for a company to block what a worker does in his freetime as long as he puts in his 8hr day and gets meets his deadlines . I totally see your point and understand a none compete agreement with a company but I guess maybe I would have to think twice about that unless they wanted to pay enough to remain exclusive . I dunno DH I guess I would just keep it on the DL ??? Then again that a little dishonest... hmmm
  • Negadeth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Negadeth polycounter lvl 18
    I can't wait for the new Elder Scrolls game, it will rock hard.

The only gripe I had about Morrowind was that the character models where pretty uninteresting, especially for the PC, just some pretty generic heads.

As long as there is a cute redhead head, I'll be happy
    wink.gif
  • Ctrl+Awesome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ctrl+Awesome polycounter lvl 18
    I know in Texas at least, there is a "right to work" law that prohibits companies from not allowing you to work for other companies. I don't know if that applies at all times or if only in the instance that you've left a company but signed an agreement not to work for another competitor company for at least x amount of years or not. this used to be a big problem.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If a company wants to keep you "fully commited" they should make a rule about not getting married, or having children. Because either of those would consume far more time than doing contract work. Shoot, lunch hours should go too. Vacations, sick days, getting pregnant, doctors and dentist appointments, all these things keep you from putting your all into the game. FOR SHAME!

Really it doesn't even make sense to forbid contract work. It keeps your employees happier moneywise, without you actually having to give them any more money. It increases the skill of your employees cause they are practicing in their free time, and it will probably result in more well rounded artists, as it won't all be in the exact style of the companies game. You learn new tools as well when a project is using a software program that you aren't at work. If you ever do start using it at work, guess who the company doesn't have to train? guess who already has someone onsite to help the other employees learn?

I understand the general direction a company is coming from when they prohibit contract work, but I think it's a holdover from the same period that brought us 100+ hour work weeks.
  • Vark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vark polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sort of half and half on the issue. We're definitely not allowed to 'moonlight' as it were, which sort of sucks but I understand their side of the issue.

Really its one of those things that depends on the person. Some people can work what essentially amounts to two jobs and be equally dedicated to each, but a lot of people can't. They have deadlines that meld into each other, they'll stay up too late working on freelance stuff and come into work tired and useless and or just put in minimum effort in the 'real job' while putting max effort into freelance stuff so they can springboard to another company (all the while leeching of company insurance and 401k benefits).

Like I said though, some people can handle it just fine (and I'd imagine anyone on this board wouldn't have a problem) but from a corporate point of view the potential hassle is enough to just say 'no' across the board.
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    dude. I so want to have your babies...that game looks sweet.

Im a huge fan of ElderScrolls III, shame the characters in that artistically blew. Rest of the game was 3 flavors of awesome.

This coming for the PC as well I assume (it better!)
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I definately see your point Vark, but couldn't the same be said about having a kid? Let me show you what I mean:

Really its one of those things that depends on the person. Some people can have chilren and a job and be equally devoted to both, and some can't. They have childcare, sports teams, school, they'll stay up too late changing diapers and feeding, sitting by the bedside of a sick child and come into work tired and useless and or just put in minimum effort in the 'real job' while putting max effort into family (all the while leeching of company insurance and 401k benefits).

See how ridiculous the above sounds? Yet if you look at it from the point of view from 100% efficiency, having kids should be against company policy as well. Some of us put just as much importance in our carreer and skillset, as others put into raising a family.

But I do agree, some can handle it and some can't. I always put my day job at the forefront won't let other things get in the way. It's the game I believe in the most, otherwise I wouldn't be working there. The other stuff is just fun/hobby.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Great looking game, all around! As an environment artist, I was really blown away by the outdoor natural environments. Trees, shrubs, grass, little birds... Ahhh, makes me want to have a picnic... Or kill some ogres!
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    The company I work for fulltime now (Ritual) is really laid back about freelance stuff, they don't really care what I do in my spare time, and thats how I like it. When the issue is not brought up in your face you don't feel like there is an issue at all.

For me personally I want to work on alot of different things, different styles, different types of games, so doing freelance is a way to get out there and work on some of the cooler projects I would like to work on, keeps me happy and focused on the things I have to do in my full time job, its an outlet for creativity (like doing personal work). Doing stuff on the side is not a problem for me since I don't have any other commitments.
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Procreation isn't something that a company has any right to control and there are probably laws about lunch hours (guess). But really, the strongest argument against moonlighting is the "helping the rival" issue.

Also, maybe I'm just a cynical person, companies want you to be happy, but only as much as they want you to be and in ways that will benefit them. Sure, your abilities and such grow and get better, but that's less tangible to the higher ups than content created for their rivals. My opinion, anyways. Lunch!

Really like the screens of Oblivion. Seems to be like the most tasteful use of next-gen tech to me.
  • Vark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vark polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    See how ridiculous the above sounds? Yet if you look at it from the point of view from 100% efficiency, having kids should be against company policy as well. Some of us put just as much importance in our carreer and skillset, as others put into raising a family.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh trust me, if companies had any call over your reproductive organs and wouldn't get sued to high heaven, they'd try it. As it stands Family and outside commitments are socially > work. When you're comparing work to work though the precidents and expectations are different.

and as someone else stated, there's the non-competition thing. I think at some point when I filled out my entry papers there was some discussion as to the effect that me working at Borders would be a conflict of interest as I'd be selling products of the competition (used as an abstract example of course).

I guess when you get down to it, for Bethesda anyway, the difference is we're not just a developer, we're a publisher.

Slayer: PC version is a no brainer smile.gif
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    We have quite a few contractors at LD that work fulltime for other companies. Most companies don't seem to have a problem with it.
  • Bradfordart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bradfordart polycounter lvl 18
    Nice character, I'm noticing more and more people working on this game; it's really looking good. As for the other topic, I think a company has it's grounds to prohibit working for the competition. In general a lot of the skills you learn at you're full time employer could be applied to whoever you're contracting for and I think that's enough to cause a problem for a company that really cares about that stuff. On the flip side I think if a company is going to put you in a non-compete clause they need to suppliment you with additional benefits (profit sharing, higher wage, etc). Of course it isn't all about the money, but it's part of the reason you freelance in the first place.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, wish I'd got a chance to work on this... it's really probably the game I'm most looking forward to this year.

Nice work dude, can't wait until it's released so I can get lost in it for months on end. I just wish it had a LAN multiplayer option. Morrowind with LAN play would have seriously kicked ass.