Home General Discussion

Prey Alone

Daz
Daz
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Daz polycounter lvl 18
A 15 minute short from Ireland that cost 80,000 euros to produce. Live actors shot against a green screen with CG bgrounds.

http://www.jonny3d.com/html/frames/_dn_preyalone_frame.htm

Quite impressive I thought.

Replies

• nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Way too literal at the end, but otherwise, really badass. Thanks for the link!
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Aw crap! I'd known about this movie for awhile, and had been anticipating seeing it. Now that I've seen it I'm a little upset!

I'd wanted to make a short film on this very topic for ages!

It was well done though. I liked it, although the decision to make the environment kinda greenish (to hide the bleed from the chroma-keying) was lame. I'd have figured they could color correct that away, and have decent color tone throughout.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    lots of fun; it's great to see that digital filmmaking has advanced to this point where it can realistically 'sell' most anything you want to throw at it, and with a lot more stylistic control. what i really liked was the fact that while i was watching it, i really wasn't thinking about the effects, i was just watching the action and enjoying it, which is where digital filmmaking should be. the virtual sets and all are just a means to an end; while it's super cool they were able to do that on a relatively small budget, it's even cooler that it pushes the emphasis back on the story itself, not the effects.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yah that was incredibly fun. I thought the weakest parts were during the interogation...

..and the best part being the jet's missle coming back onto the jet itself. Very very cool.

Thanks Daz!
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    That was awesome.. the best part was the ending - reminded me of Fight Club and The Machinist.

The worst part? The sickening feeling due to the CG getting too close to the road -- you know where you look out your window and you trees whizzing past your eyes - it was that in a film.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Military jets flying through the subway is a little too hollywood fiction for me, but the film was a cool idea.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Actually it is about the same idea as the Movie '13th Floor'

Pretty cool, but everything was obviously so dark to hide that it was mostly CG... and it was still visible frown.gif And those cheesy lensflare effects confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Damn that was cool.

All I wanna know is, where can I get a car that will slide sideways for half a mile then allow me to keep going at the same speed I was?!

Haha, wonderful idea and well done!
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Elysium: well, given the big reveal at the end... isn't that rather appropriate? if there's ever a setup that would allow or even call for that kind of sillyness, wouldn't this be it?
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Flying aircraft into underground tunnels... honestly, did we learn nothing from Mission: Impossible 1?
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Flying aircraft into underground tunnels... honestly, did we learn nothing from Mission: Impossible 1?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you read the post above yours?
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you read the post above yours?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    vermilion: we learned that while a helicopter has at least some ability to navigate a tunnel so long as there is clearance for the rotors, harrier jets flying through them are way more ridiculous, and therefore more awesome to watch. laugh.gif

and again: if it isn't appropriate in this scenario, when would it be? there's got to be a place for aircraft in high speed tunnel chases!
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh - I just think it's the kind of thing which sounds neat in concept but translates terribly onto film. Aircraft are interesting when they're zooming around the sky or weaving around obstacles. Flying in straight lines through dark tunnels to the inevitable fiery conclusion just isn't the same. The end of True Lies is how you properly use an AV-8B in a film!
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is that car a Jaguar or an Aston Martin (or something else)? I'm in a brightly lit room at a computer with lousy gamma settings, I really can't make it out.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Heh - I just think it's the kind of thing which sounds neat in concept but translates terribly onto film. Aircraft are interesting when they're zooming around the sky or weaving around obstacles. Flying in straight lines through dark tunnels to the inevitable fiery conclusion just isn't the same. The end of True Lies is how you properly use an AV-8B in a film!

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't seem to understand the point he's making.

**SPOILER**

It's a video game, and video games aren't realistic. Besides racing games, what game has realistic car physics? If everything in a video game was lifelike, it would remove some of the fun. Flying jets through a subway is something that would be done in a video game and I think would be pretty cool.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Heh - I just think it's the kind of thing which sounds neat in concept but translates terribly onto film. Aircraft are interesting when they're zooming around the sky or weaving around obstacles. Flying in straight lines through dark tunnels to the inevitable fiery conclusion just isn't the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

What, you mean like an X-wing in a deathstar trench perhaps?

muhahahahah!
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't seem to understand the point he's making.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand. I'm saying that I don't think it looks good on film. I thought it didn't look good when the fighter plane crashed through the tunnel in Indiana Jones 3, it didn't look good when Jean Reno tried to chop up Tom Cruise with a helicopter in Mission: Impossible and it doesn't look good here. Aircraft are fun to watch because they can swoop around, dogfight, look visually dynamic, etc etc. I get the idea here, but just don't think it's fun to watch.

And no, Darren, the trench run in Star Wars does not qualify wink.gif
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, I gotcha now, I misunderstood what you meant.

Sorry tongue.gif
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem, I didn't explain myself too well at the start smile.gif
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Is that car a Jaguar or an Aston Martin (or something else)? I'm in a brightly lit room at a computer with lousy gamma settings, I really can't make it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its Aston Martin from the outside but for the interior shots they use some cheap car (hello cloth interior in Aston confused.gif )
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha - thanks, that explains it. I guess it just dawned upon me that they obviously used a 3D model for the exterior vehicle shots, but had to use a real car for the interior and couldn't lay their hands on a real Vanquish.