Home General Discussion

Psp? DS? Gizmondo!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
The Gizmondo has been released in Europe. Anyone try it yet?

Replies

• Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    what is it anyway?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.gizmondo.com/

Some local handheld developer said that it had more power than the psp. With GP built in and its multiple functionality allows it to have more usefulness than either of the other handhelds.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Furious Phil looks fun. (Ok Im a fan of the song in the trailer) http://www.gizmondo.com/games/item.asp?id=224&cat=1

Fallen Kingdoms shows the power of this thing.
    http://www.gizmondo.com/games/item.asp?id=223&cat=6&all=0
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Seems to lack an analog stick. The Zodiac has an analog stick but not enough power to do much 3d.

For use in [your country] only??? WTF? Many people use GBAs on international flights and portables don't use region codes so you actually can buy games for them on a trip.

And 350 for an ad-free version? Man, the PSP is cheaper and you'd probably have enough left to buy a DS!
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "The Zodiac has an analog stick but not enough power to do much 3d."

This isnt the zodiac

"ith 400Mhz of processor power, a state of the art graphics chip from Nvidia and a huge, high resolution TFT screen"

Yea, the analog bugs me also.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    dude, get a psp, get a gig memory stick, and a few games.. it really is the way to go. smile.gif
    the psp was region free on something, i think games (someone please correct me if i'm wrong about that bit). the screen is absolutely gorgeous. the stick / nub is comfotable, and the system has a sleep mode... do either nintendo's systems or that gizmondo do that? also, in the standard provided psp case, the psp comfortably fits in most pants pockets like a large wallet.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont have the money for ANY of them. I was just interested in hearing more about "the underdog" as it were since its always ds or psp this or that. I can't answer your questions cause I don't know! Hence my search for someone whom has.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I was just comparing it to the Zodiac, another all-in-one handheld that's better than the ones by the big guys and has less games than the NGage.
    The Gizmondo lacks the Zodiac's touchscreen and PDA functionality, though.

The DS has a sleep mode, with DS games just close the system and it will go into sleep mode, with GBA games you have to activate the sleep mode in the software (not all games supprt it though). PDAs are sent into sleep mode by pushing the power button, they don't turn off completely. If the Gizmondo is like a PDA it has sleep mode.

The screen on the Zodiac is 640x480 (i.e. larger than the PSP's) and the device has a real analog stick, as opposed to a nub. Can't find res data for the Gizmondo but I expect "high resolution" to mean 640x480.

Also, the DS has stereo speakers built in, the Gizmondo is apparently only mono.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Gizmondo bought out my original company, Warthog texas, which is now Gizmondo Texas. I met up with my old art director, president, a designer and project manager at E3. I played the thing, seems kind of cool. Nothing to blow me away yet, main difference between it and the PSP is that all the games I played on gizmondo were sluggish compared to the PSP games, though they are still in developement.

I'm hoping Fallen Kingdoms makes it to market, cause I made the main character model (not the texture) and that will be just one MORE shipped title, 8-)
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    I checked out the gizmondo at E3 and I dont know a lot about it but it still interests me. I believe it runs a version of Windows CE and is 'apparently' easy to develop for. I'd like to see how this system pans out and maybe we could see some indie handheld games :O
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, Furious Phil looks groovy, that's my kind of style and the music is great. I don't konw how the gizmondo will compete though, it seems the market has room for only one handheld, look at the Wonderswan.