Home General Discussion

Wireless mice suck

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Marine polycounter lvl 18
I got one of those Logitech mx1000 dealies last november, nice mouse, if a little heavy. Six months on and it's gone to hell, it jumps about the screen, it double clicks, it'll suddenly lag, it'll get stuck, the buttons will stick. Wireless mice have been around for a few year now, and stupid bullshit problems like this are still in them.
Going back to a real mouse, none of this wireless, or Logitech, shit. Can always count on MS for good hardware.
Who's going to join me on my abandon shitty wireless hardware campaign?

Replies

• Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    I am. I broke mine by dropping it of the deck. Had it had a cord it would still be alive and well...

Got a cheap MX500 at the moment though so I can't really can't relly get on your "Hate Logitech" bandwagon.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I love my wireless stuff. Both my Mac and PC use wireless mouse and keyboards. The PC uses radio and the Mac use Bleutooth, and I've never had any problems.

Cables are icky.
  • Badname
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badname polycounter lvl 18
    I'm very happy with my mx500 best mouse i ever had. Had it about 2 years almost and it's still perfect smile.gif
    I'll step into the "Hate Razor" bandwagon, man i had a razor mouse (not the optical one) and damn it was bad.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    I've never gone to wireless just because I don't see the problem with the wire. The ONLY problem I've had with a wire is on a mac with those single shit buttoned ones where if the cable gets close its like the wire is under it. But then again it is a shitty mac so what do you expect?

I have a MS Optical, one of the first optical ones. It fits my hand and are £10 now. Reminds me.. I should buy another just as back up.

Edit: I am actually worrying about wireless for the next-gen consoles. I just don't like having to charge something.
  • todman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    todman polycounter lvl 18
    I had a wireless mouse once....once. the batteries kept dying and I found that banging it on the desk didn't help, so I pitched it, literally against the wall and that was the end of that.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Had that since day one. I think in my case it's because I use it on a metal table. My old wireless mouse had different misbehaviours because of that, the logitech protocol is far more succeptible to errors though. Jumping to the top or bottom of the screen, missing mouseclicks (or button release events) are the result, my other mouse just sometimes stopped moving which was less serious since I tend to use midmouse scrolling which jumps you to the beginning or end of the file when the logitech spazzes out.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I have mine on a metal table, and it freaks out a bit. I just put a sketchpad under it, and its fine.
    Its a Logitech Cordless Trackman Wheel.
  • HumbleEgo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HumbleEgo polycounter lvl 18
    I've got a Mircosoft wireless mouse and keyboard.

I haven't experience many consistant problems, unless you count replacing there batteries pretty frequently. But, I just have a small battery charger near the desk and rotate them.

Once in a blue moon the sign is weak, but, that just means moving the receiver to a different location.

Anyway, I'd much rather deal with these little annoyances and be able completely shove my keyboard/mouse somewhere else so I can draw at the desk.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I love my logitech and its wire
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    i like the plain dell mouse, it's big and comfortable.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't touched a wireless mouse since 1994. That one was 3 button and infrared. It worked okay,

What's the point of a wireless mouse if you're always close to your computer anyways, not like you'll game or model on your couch or in bed.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The cord doesn't get in the way and doesn't add uneven weight. I swear, I hate it when the cord hangs down in a way that makes pulling back harder.
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    What good is a higher and more precise dpi, if you can't hit for shit and you lag to hell?
    Have never owned a wireless myself, prefer to stick to my age-old WinBest 4D with 4 buttons and 2 wheels.

My brother seems to think I'd be a LOT better off with a wireless. Tried his, and I can't stand the unresponsiveness when moving the mouse mere millimeters at a time (his is an MX900 /w Bluetooth).
    also, it's fun(not) playing an important game and your mouse dies out because of some random shit.
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    Ive always been anti-wireless PC/keyboard for that very reason. Long live my 5-button MS (wired) intellimouse.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lag? What lag?
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    I never had any lag with my Log. Mouseman Optical. I like it so much I bought the same model for my other comp. The only problem with it is that it eats batteries. The other thing is that you do have to have the receiver pointing at it. I think most models now have the cradle/recharge set up.

After using a cordless for two years now I can't stand using the other. It's a pain in the ass to fight with the cord.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    No problems whatsoever with my MS wireless optical mouse.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Only probs I ever had with a wireless mouse was batteries dying, every 4 months or so, and I could tell when it was time. I just replaced them, which, I think, trumps todman's solution to the same problem. Life sucks, batteries die.

/jzero