Home General Discussion

Reading material

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
kendo polycounter lvl 18
I know this sort of threadhas been done in the past, but amazon just delivered my big order of books and im interested in hearing what other people are reading at the moment. Or if anyone has read any of the below as i went abit crazy.

normal_huzzah.jpg

Replies

• snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    had volume 1 of Shogun here for a month. only about half through it. i really enjoyed what i have read but i cant get away from the pc to finish it. and it's due back at the library tomorrow... sigh.. :\
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I've just recently finished Stephen King's "Wolves of the Calla" ... need to get Song of Susannah next.

Usually I read a lot but I haven't really had time for it recently. Various art books are in a constant cycle though - D'Artiste, Paul Kidby's Art of Discworld, and the Lord of the Rings art book - Alan Lee rules.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I recently read virtual light and all tomorrows parties by william gibson, which were both great reads.

The only stephen king story that I've read instead of seen the film is Cujo, which I remember being quite scared by when I was wee smile.gif. most recent art book was half-life 2 rtb, which rocks, and I always enjoy leafing through 'preacher- dead or alive' glenn fabry covers book.

edit: oh and not so long ago read 'his dark materials' trilogy by phillip pullman, and that was a quality story. There's this giant talking polar bear, hes so cool :]
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    I'm reading the Prose Edda before bed, aloud to myself at 4am, working on that resonant, dramatic diction that one must read mythology with. "And then the First said, 'From Ginnungagap sprung two neighbors, Upstairs and Nextdoor, who came to the Inconsiderate Reader with sheath-heart and flame-crack, and slew him; and from his flesh they made the earth, from his skull they made the firmament of the sky, and from his bones they made Jell-O brand gelatin.' Thus was Gylfi satisfied."

Also plodding through James Clavell's "Tai-Pan". I like it (second time through), but it is a cumbersome read. Like everything else the guy's written, there's a whole lotta schlock in there, that a good editor really should've cut out.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Recently finished Steven Kings Dark Tower series and it was easily his best works EVER.

Another reccomendation would be George R.R. Martin's series of books. Theyre freakishly good. Im eagerly awaiting his next book which will hopefully be done soon.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Rooster, aye, I read that trilogy too - very engrossing, much better than I expected (the books were my sister's, so I didn't hold out much hope :P ) ... actually I've thought a couple of times I'd like to model characters from those stories, there's a lot of very cool ideas in there. I even had a game design based around "The Subtle Knife" at one point.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Just read Shadowland by Peter Straub, I really liked it.

I also read I am Legend and Hell House by Richard Matheson, if you like Stephen King as much as I do you'll love these books.

Right now I'm re-reading Nightmares & Dreamscapes by Stephen King
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    I don't read books without pictures - but my anatomy book is always open generally
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Mop: Id love to model those creatures that go about on wheels made from seed pod things! maybe I will after uni. and of course Iorik (or whatever that cool bears name was)
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    aesir, have you read the sci-fi book R R Martin just put out? As much as I would have liked him to work on Feast of Crows, Tuf Voyaging is a very good book.
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seantree polycounter lvl 18
    I'm re-reading MEG by Steve Alten at the moment. I had to start it again after the announcement that the film was coming next summer along with a revised version of the book this June. I guess Alten felt his writing had improved since 1997 and decided to spruce the original up a bit. After I finish MEG i'm onto The Loch, again by Alten. BTW, if you like Jaws or sharks in general read the MEG series smile.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I just started Bill Brysons 'A short history of Nearly Everything' which was a xmas gift. I thought it would be tedious ( hence it's taken me so long to pick it up ) but it's actually very informative and pretty funny. The first few chapters cover the big bang and It's been a really fun sort of 'nuclear physics for dummies' type of read so far.

On German Hennig Brand in 1675:

"Brand became convinced that gold could somehow be distilled from human urine. ( The similarity of colour seems to have been a factor in his conclusion. ) He assembled fifty buckets of human urine, which he kept for months in his cellar. By various recondite processes, he converted the urine first into a noxious paste and then into a translucent waxy substance. None of it yielded gold, of course, but a strange and interesting thing did happen. After a time, the substance began to glow. Moreover, when exposed to air, it often spontaneously burst into flame".

The substance later became known as phosphorus. Ah what a fun neighbour he must have been with fifty piss buckets steaming in his cellar. Well you learn something new every day as they say smile.gif
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    "paterns of the hypnotic techniques of milton h erikson, M.D, volume 1" by drs. Richard Bandler and John Grinder.

i'm a weirdo frown.gif great fuckin book tho, let me tell you.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    ROFL^^^

i've been reading a lot of trek lately. i've bought and read the IKS Gorkon series (all set entirely on a klingon cruiser), the first of the new titan series (following riker on his new ship after nemesis), the third paperback of the SCE series (follows a group of engineers) and i'm dipping into old discworlds in between. got 4 more SCEs to get and then i've caught up...
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Recently finished Steven Kings Dark Tower series and it was easily his best works EVER.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excepting that the ending was so lame that he actually steps out of the narrative to berate the reader for having the audacity to want a conclusion, which he delivers in the form of a giant stinking turd of cliched fantasy writing and I feel it has to be among his worst work ever. I personally waited ten years to discover what was at the top of the Tower... reading it was perhaps the most disappointing 'resolution' I have ever had the displeasure of reading.

How he dealt with Flagg (an ages old, supremely competant, villainous badass in many of his works) was also downright awful. The way that character, the fight with the Crimson King and the Tower itself were all wrapped up make it seem to me that he was just pounding out the pages as fast as he could to get theis 'epic' behind him and write something else. Read The Stand and tell me if the Randall Flagg in that book would ever get punked like the Flagg in vol. 7 does...

Dark Tower v. 1-4 were fantastic, 5 was pretty good albeit a bit off-kilter, 6 and 7 were both books I'd rather have done without. Yeah, I'm not a happy camper.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I've just finished "The Grapes of Wrath", and I've started "Cloud Atlas".

Over the last few months I haven't read much, but I did manage to pack in "Whiskey Galore" and "The Curious Incident of the dog at midnight". And I re-read "Life of Pi". I can easily recommend all of those, unless you are a sucker for trashy sci-fi.
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    George Martin rules, waiting for AFOC to come. Reading lots of Koontz well anything by him, going to try King for once soon, and finished Dragonlance chronicles by Margaret Weiss, Amber Series by Rog Zelazny, LOTR for the first time ever!, Arthur Clarke, Heinlein, LeGuin, been reading a bunch this year. smile.gif

Rick S you avatar looks like how I feel today!!
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    I'll also cast a vote for George R.R. Martin. Fantastic fantasy series.

Just recently I've gotten into David Farland's Runelords series. Great fantasy as well.

All of the Dark Elf books by R.A. Salvatore are very fun to read. Lots of action, and if you're into martial arts, it's a blast hearing him give blow-by-blows of the sword fighting.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    I'm going to continue my theme of whining in this thread and gripe about Martin, too laugh.gif I have the first three books of ASoIaF. I've had them for years. Years and years. I've had those three books for so long because he hasn't published a new volume in years. Years and years. I understand that the creative process happens when it happens, etc, but A Feast for Crows is the Duke Nuk'em Forever of the fantasy genre. You like what you've seen in the past and you have very high hopes for what's being created now, but it's been so damned long since it was begun you begin to wonder if it'll ever come out at all...

My current favorite fantasy author is Steven Erikson. He writes some pretty interesting stuff, and has published a new book just about once every year. Hooray for quantity AND quality!
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vermilion yes GRRM is really testing many Fan's patience, I don't care cos I have so much to catch up on in the SF/Fantasy area.

GRRM get's a few hate mails too for his unreleased AFOC, last I heard he was touring most of may, and part of the summer so is Set - 2005 the big day/month?
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I've been reading a bit of non-fiction lately.
    4 arguments for the Elimination of Television :Jerry Mander
    A Pale Blue Dot: Carl Sagan
    Lots of technical books on 3d & art, etc. No titles worth mentioning.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    LoveCraft all the way baby....may sound a bit strange for a 13 year old to be reading that stuff...then again...not really. Cthulhu just kicks ass.....i've got an 8 or so inch Cthulhu doll coming via U.S.P.S hooray!
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    every time i post, it kills the topic, i swear.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    I am switching between cheesy Star Wars novels and Rapid Development by Steve McConnell.
    Pretty good read and is supposed to be some sort of a bible for project management for softeware development.
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started and almost finished Arthur Clarke's 3001 Space Odessy and found it better than I had been lead to believe, cool and unique. Will have to check out Lovecraft too.

Loved the part about Tech Manuals, I been reading lots of little how to do portrait's art books while in the restroom at home.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors by Carl Sagan/Ann Druyan. Amazing insights into human sociology. Great vistas of time. Witty too.

I tend to read nonfiction these days, since I have so little free reading time. I'm finding I want to learn about things more these days, instead of my past escapes into fiction (as fun as they are). Besides I want to be teaching things to my kids. But hey, I'm sure I'll swing the other way again. Fiction is great for the imagination!
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    MOP DO NOT READ THIS

That whole series was full of cliches - the ending was totally appropriate IMO wink.gif I thought it was great reading. Not a literary masterpiece but very fun regardless.

I didn't think Flagg was belittled I think he just served to demonstrate just what a scary bastard spider boy was. With Flagg up against him it would be like comparing an adult cat to a lion cub. The cat may be the most wizened, cunning predator but the cub is just in a different class altogether. Spider boy had the cunning of the Crimson King who was pretty much Walter's -god- and a thirst for souls. I think Walter was just outmatched.