Home General Discussion

MTV XBOX 360 trailers

pogonip
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
pogonip polycounter lvl 18
There are a bunch of trailers for games for the XBOX 360 ( retarded name btw ) The only games that would even begin to make me say ..huh next gen graphics would be Quake 4 ( barley ) and a game that looks pretty awesome Gears of War . I was expecting something that made a comparable wow to the first time I seen Unreal Engine 3 tech but not even close ..well have fun checking them out

http://www.mtv.com/games/video_games/xbox/index.jhtml

Replies

• ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    The DOA 4 screens look pretty mediocre compared to everything else, especially the texture of the characters which look the same as past doa games.
  • mr.toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr.toast polycounter lvl 18
    i do have to say that the madden ones are a huge step up from what they were back in the ps2 and xbox version
  • DeathTrip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathTrip polycounter lvl 18
    Gears of War and Project Gotham Racing look awesome.

Who is the dev of GoW? came out of nowhere...
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Gears of War is being developed by Epic.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Uh - where on that link do I click to see?
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    I've heard from some guys at work who worked on that madden game that what you saw was actually prerendered stuff. Gotta remember too.. these next gen games are going to look like what PC games have looked like for a little while.. Cuz PC games are always pushing to the limits more.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    btw.. The game I'm currently working on..."Saints Row" was shown on the MTV special.. hurray!!! its finally out there.
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Uh - where on that link do I click to see?

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    My God. I don't know what I expected but yeah, it's a bunch of sequels. EA being the most guilty party of course. Christ, their line up is predictable. That Madden video isn't even realtime. It's pre-rendered. And some of the other stuff looks crap. Call Of Duty2? wtf. That looked absolutely atrocious. How utterly dissapointing. J.Allard is a tool, and If I would rather kill myself than to have to watch that horrific 'The longest yard' trailer once more. Annoyed.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You called it DAZ I hope to christ NINTENDO kicks there ass . Epics game is the only one worthy of calling Next GEN ... PLEASE NINTENDO DON'T FUCK IT UP AGAIN !!!! The wrose part is I dont see any game sites saying " hey microsoft pull your head out of your ass this is nothing impressive "
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    The really dumb thing about this is, I still don't really know what the true capabilities of the hardware are. Because most of the stuff shown here is bullshit.

*Most* of the imagery here is from software that's allready in development for the PC, and will be convenient to port to 360, and the remainder is lies. Like the Madden video, or this 'shot' from PGR3

So there's in my humble opinion very little here that is is media truly taken from 360 hardware.

Even If some of it is genuinely 360 software, most of it is dull as dishwater. I'm so disheartened by this industry right now.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would imagine a guy with your expereince and talent would be happier at a game company like ID or Epic ..people pushing the boundries ..or hey the movie industry . What I dont understand is that they had MORE impressive stuff for Xbox 1 with the dancing mech and the butterflies . Maybe they will show off more technical demonstrations at E3 . I really was hoping to see something like " Look we can put a thousand 20,000 poly characters with normal maps using real time lighting ..etc etc and no killer apps to get the buzz going like " hey look Halo 3 " ...boom crowd goes wild . Deffinatly not a good start for Microsoft.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Im just astounded at the difference in quality between some of the games. Comparing Gears of War which fucking amazed the shit out of me with the unreal 3.0 engine vs. something like Call of Duty 2 which doesnt even have half life 2 graphics really made me wonder why the developers weren't pushing what the hardware could do. Listening to the specs that the xbox has, you'd think they could do a LOT more.
  • Negadeth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Negadeth polycounter lvl 18
    Probably because it's first generation software, developers haven't learned all the shortcuts and tricks for getting the most out of the machine.

Compare a first generation PS2 title like the original Timesplitters with a recent offering like God OF War.
    There's a huge difference in graphics, purely because of the knowledge of the machine and how to make it do things has increased.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    aesir: GIGO principle. The more detail can be displayed the less errors you can hide. The next gen will probably emphasize the differences between good and bad artists even more.

EDIT: Apparently Nintendo said that day that the Revolution will be as high as three DVD cases stacked (and horizontal, of course), support high definition and emphasize online. Also, it will play DVDs. In other words, no need to care for the Xe.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    re: Aesir/KDR_11K, I would imagine financers to be reluctant to pump the necessary dollars into a production to get the hi-res art up to scratch. It looks to me like they have the tools and the ability, but are unwilling to pay to produce the content.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    First gen titles on any system are mostly bunk, minus maybe 1-3 titles. Gears of War looks really interesting. I'd like to see some in game movies. That will definately be one I'd get, although websites say it's shipping in early 06. Perfect Dark 0 looks interesting too. I loved the first game. Although M$ paying $360 million for Rare doesn't seem worth it.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Yes Daz, listen to Pogonip....

r.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I think it's going to be great. The hardware is amazing, and it's online functionality is top notch.

And not every single game has to have normal maps, real time lighting, HDR and Light bloom to be "next gen". The game might not look super hot, but maybe it has 1million sq miles of explorable terrain, or cg-quality AI brains. Looks arent' everything.

The hardware is solid, and the final specs are finally making their way into developer's hands. All this time, they were juggling with it. By the time the 360 launches, there should be a lot more games that look truly next gen.

This here is a shot from Ghost Recon3 - which looks utterly amazing: http://www.gamespot.com/x360/action/tomclancysghostrecon3/screens.html?page=2

PS2 and Xbox1's first gen titles weren't super impressive. It's rather silly to expect the first next gen games to be.
  • Kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kirin polycounter lvl 18
    I personally would wait until the developers have gotten used to the hardware before forking 450-something dollars on a new Xbox 360. Chances are that the first few games are going to LOOK like crap by hardware standards (that doesn't necessarily mean it'll PLAY like crap though) but once the developers find some interesting things about the hardware to take advantage of, I'm sure games will start to look more prettier (and hopefully, with the gameplay to compliment it).
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think there's alot of false expectations for the next gen systems. I really wish games wouldn't push to be so realistic in art design. I'm more excited about the graphics in DOA4 then most of the other games showcased.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • Negadeth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Negadeth polycounter lvl 18
    Wait, where's the other 3 controller ports?
    Don't tell me this thing only allows for single players on one machine?!
  • Lore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lore polycounter lvl 18
    Lets not forget that MTV (which I have no respect for and I even don’t have it programmed in to my TV) is for the average gamer crowd and they are marketing towards those types of people (the want to be cool crowd). So I would expect the first year games to be port like quality. Plus how long has the developer kits for the XBox 360 been out (I agree dorky name: http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=42207&an=0&page=0#42207)?

I could only stand watching the MTV thing for a few minutes and the MTV website takes forever to load even on a cable modem. There is some really poor webdesign going on at that site (oh it’s the ads). Plus they seem more interested in what celebrities think. Do I really (pardon my language) fucking care if Omarion thinks the system is fresh and off the hook?

No the really information that I care about is in the damn press release. What are the specs and what games are coming out? You can always find real game related news in the link below.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=5498

What really got my wondering... What’s up with the triple core? Dual CPU's I have dealt with. They increase performance slightly with applications. But three is like trying to run a gig of Ram on Windows 98. Why does the XBox 360 need to have three cores, when regular PC’s don’t go that far, yet?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Well, three cores allows for a lot of enhanced stuff. For example, you can have one CPU entirely dedicated to doing physics calculations for your game. That way, you can still dual thread all of the main content. Things that like that can really open up a lot of performance enhancments, and allow developers to create a lot more innovative gameplay features.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Wait, where's the other 3 controller ports?
    Don't tell me this thing only allows for single players on one machine?!

[/ QUOTE ]

The controllers are wireless - no controller ports needed.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Plus how long has the developer kits for the XBox 360 been out

[/ QUOTE ]

We've had ours since last year sometime, that macintosh one. Though, that one is horribly out of date. They constantly are telling us to update it with so and so software / hardware. They really only sent those out because the chipset is similar. Kinda a 'heads up' thing.

No one is really going to be able to accuratly code a game for the Xbox 360 until we get actual kits. That should be very soon.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Do they charge the company for those kits when you're developing a first generation xbox360 kit?

I would think they'd hand 'em out to those who wanted one..
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Most of those were kinda lame, but maybe some glimmers of hope. I liked the Ghost Recon stuff, but "word on the street" says it's all faked cg.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    there was talk at GDC about the new consoles and as a way to save money the chipsets for the new ones (I forget the one's specified), instead of using the more expensive "random order" organized chips like RAM in a PC, they went for a more inexpensive, but graphically producing more performance capable "stack ordered" architecture, which unfortunately will make programming games for consoles more nightmarish, and delay production as programmers get used to the new proceedures. In the Old days, artists had to texture a character on one or two 6 by 64 tiles. Now the artists have a new world to play witn, but the programmers will be stuck having to type backwards and count on their fingers, which may lead to some radically bad game play until they learn.

Scott
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    wow the MTV america website really sucks. The upper half looks like a car stereo dealership and the lower half looks like it was stolen pixel for pixel from the warp records site.
  • Lore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lore polycounter lvl 18
    Cough, Saturn.