Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    W Michigan: Holland, Grand Haven, Greenville, Grand Rapids, Ionia

area code 616 : /
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    oh great. when I worked at Subway while in high school, there was a specific combo that would give a total of $6.66. The customers would be shocked and order a cookie or extra drink just so it wouldn't be that number. The same thing would happen at the movie theater. Now all those reciepts I saved are worthless. I was going to use them one day to frighten uneducated religious old women.

wait...i thought it was suppose to be 999. or 5. why is an imaginary figure of evil associated with a number anyway?

WARNING: from Canada
    http://www.canada.com/national/nationalp...ce-46e933232df0

[ QUOTE ]
    Dr. Aitken said, however, that scholars now believe the number in question has very little to do the devil. It was actually a complicated numerical riddle in Greek, meant to represent someone's name, she said.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I see. We have nothing to be afraid of.

[ QUOTE ]
    "It's a critique of the politics and society of the Roman empire, but it's written in coded language and riddles."

[/ QUOTE ]

Lesson here: don't take the bible seriously. instead, listen to Best of Iron Maiden. more entertaining.
  • Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
    The good news is that those affected wouldn't have read the article. We can still torture them with maths!!!! bwa hahahaha
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    My Maya viewport's default vertical size is 666 pixels.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    OMG! Just think of all the outlaw bikers and metal heads who are gonna have to have their tatoos changed!!!!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    The way I understood it, the number 666 was derived from Hebrew (where letters also referred to numbers) Qsr Nrwn, which translates to the Greek Kaisar Neron ("Emperor Nero").

Q = 100
    S = 60
    R = 200
    N = 50
    R = 200
    W = 6
    N = 50
    = 666

In Revelation Rome is viewed exclusively as the embodiment of emperor worship, which to accept is to deny the sovereignty of God.

I am in no ways an expert on the subject, but that explaination always satisfied me.
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    I burned a cd rom of all my favorites models maps and skins for Q3 and the total turned out 666

Same thing for UT2003 - am I cursed or what?
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    This is old. I knew about 616 back when I was a teen.

The best one is the bar code containing '666' But as all progammers know 666 is not 666 it's 667 because computers count zero. 000 is the first, 001 is second...etc.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Sectaurs -- you got it. Revelation is basically a symbolic manifesto saying that Christianity will outlast Rome if the Christians will hold it together.

The Beast is most certainly Nero, not only because he was massacring Christians en masse. I read that the public execution of Christians was thought up by a local Roman governor, who, when ordered by Nero to provide 'bread and circuses', looked at his budget and realized that he would go broke with a full card of gladiators and chariots. So he came up with the brilliant idea of public execution for Christians, which he had a whole stockade full of. What a cost-benefit analysis!

The main reason, I understand, why Rome executed so many Christians, was that they stood their ground in refusing to acknowledge the Emperor's 'genius', his aspect as a deity. Religion was a pretty ramshackle establishment back then, and most people (Gentiles!) switched gods as it pleased them, so for most it wasn't a big deal. That's why Nero was Christianity's arch-enemy, hence the Beast thing.

/jzero
  • Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
    religion was ramshackle back then? What changed... I must have missed it.
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    I just bought two fittings and a vent for dryer and it came to right on 6.66, eek!
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    If there was ever was going to be a figure viewed as the anti christ then it would have been Hitler.The end times envisioned in revelations certainly would have been world war 2. Gods chosen people were sent to gas chambers and numberd. I think bombs falling from the sky could have been considerd fire and brimestone...anyways I love mythology
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    No worry with tattoos they can just add -50, like 666-50 laugh.gif