Home General Discussion

Oldboy - see it while you can

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
I'm suprised no one has posted anything about this one. I saw this movie a few weeks ago, it's adisturbing but quite amazing. It's a Korean flick about a man that is inexplicabley locked inside an apartment/prison for 15 years, then is set free with no explanation.

It's a badass, twisted romp of a good time that ranges from funny to horrendously gorey. My kind of film.

Buy the DVD if you can, it'as worth it.

http://films.tartanfilmsusa.com/oldboy/

Replies

• JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    awesome hallway fight scene.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    oh man I saw this last year, I was blown away by it. Disturbing is certainly the word. DO NOT try and find out much info if you plan on watching it though, just watch :]
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I wouldn't have posted anything about it because it came out two years ago smile.gif Is it doing a stateside theatrical run now?

Anyway, I'd recommend seeing almost anything at all from the director, Chan-wook Park. Joint Security Area is a wonderful film about friendship across the Demilitarized Zone between the Koreas - touching storytelling and good cinematography. Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance got a lot of pub because Harry at AICN raved about it late last year, and it's also a great bit of film. I think Park might be this generation's John Woo of Asian filmmakers; not quite the visual style, but he's a better writer and worth checking out regardless of the specifics of the storyline.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, it had a stateside release this month. I realize though it came out in '03. In other news, they're making an American version of it... ugh....
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    also really cool is New Police Story, great Jackie Chan film, a lot more gritty than his cheesy hollywood films
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    ugh man I just watched Oldboy and was blown away by it

heartwrenching