Home General Discussion

Thief 3: Great Game. Bad QA.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
It had to be rushed out the door. I got a new copy with my 6800gt, and was playing through it. It kept crashing to a bsod in the same area. I thought it was the new card, and have been spending the last few days trying to figure out what was going on to discover finally that this game is full of these types of bugs-especially that become apparent with DX9 cards (because it would only sorta do it on a dx8 card). Serious bugs.

Did Eidos push Ion Storm (RIP) to get it done? I mean how could a QA person not manage to report these?

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    There's also the difficulty bug (difficulty gets reset upon reload or level change, I think) which at least got patched in the PC version, MS didn't allow them to patch it on the XBox.
  • Slayerjerman
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, just because it has issues on your machine doesnt mean you should specifically blame the QA dept. You'd be surprise how many issues are found and how many actually get fixed or even given conderation for a fix.

Obviously you need to do the following:
    Upgrade DX9, Update nvidia drivers and make sure the card runs other games and hope its not a hardware issue.

Its nearly impossible to test all PC hardware configs.

So stop QA bashing. I dont artist bash when i see shit textures.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    hey
    dont stick it on QA
    i can tell you from experience that more that likely that kind of thing WAS reported, and development just said 'whatever, ship it'
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I wasn't Bashing QA. I was finding it aggravating that such bugs had not been fixed. Bad title name on revisting. Again. Nothing to do with QA. It had to do with QA being ignored (or maybe not given enough time/equipment).

Oh and slayerjerman, drivers didn't do shit nor dx, nor even a new install of Windows. It's been discussed on the thief sites. Would you like me to send you the save to try yourself?
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    ion totally blew it with thief 3, period.

Looking Glass Studios was an artists studio.
    Ion was am abitious, pretencious bunch with incredibly poor AI coders since their very first game (daikatana).

I am pretty sure it was rushed out since towards the end of the game they incroporated kind of in-game cinematics, extremely poorly rendered and with models my cripple grandma could do better. I have only bitterness towards this wretched company who took such a wonderful series of games and wracked it, ea fault's or not.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Well, anachronox was really good (althought the graphics were pretty underwhelming) so they weren't completely useless. And I heard some people liked Deus ex.
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    bahhh theaf 3 is pants i bought a new card a little while back to play it and was dissapointed... never liked the searese but i thought it had some potential to be a really cool game.... shame really!
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
  • CheapAlert
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Ion was am abitious, pretencious bunch with incredibly poor AI coders since their very first game (daikatana).

[/ QUOTE ]

That's Ion Storm Dallas, and they died out in 2002. Don't confuse it with Ion Storm Austin, who also did Deus Ex which was an excellent game (around DK's release).
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    If looking Glass had made Thief 3 everybody would have complained about the lack of Warren Spector.
  • Malekyth
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And you still think it's cool to broadcast your contempt for a game that came out years ago, never fucked your sister or foreclosed on your family farm. Who's worse?
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    what?
    well whatever, yea. It was a shameful game.
    They missed the entire purpos and idea behind thief which was this sick world Looking Glass came up with, and most artistically put together into thief 1 and 2 games.
    That's how I feel about it: they fucked it up, and more than once.

Dues ex too, imo, had a most horrible AI which made the game ridiculous. No matter how complicated the techniques and methods the game lets you preform a certain task, if the computer acts like a jerk, it makes everything seem ridiculous. Like, why bother? they end up running into walls anyways.

When I say pretencious it's because Warren Spector made some pretty damn pretencious design calls on thief 3, looking - as always - to reinvent the game. Especially when working in a budgeted time-limited frame, his kind of design choices eventually end up falling short, I feel, from his original ideas.
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I feel, from his original ideas.

[/ QUOTE ]

at least he is trying somehing different i suppose, makes a change if only he had some good time to playwith and wasnt rushed.

Jody
  • Slayerjerman
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    Thief 3: Great Game. Bad QA.

your title very much sounded like QA bashing. Sorry.
  • MacD
    Offline / Send Message
    MacD polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I'm looking forwards to what the community can do with the recently released editor for Thief 3 smile.gif. One of the coders (I believe) who helped get the editor released mentioned how sucky the xbox was and how that essentially screwed up the gamedesign by having to break the levels into small chunks. Now the modders can make levels which do the game justice.

I just hope they code back in proper rope-arrows smile.gif