Home General Discussion

So what are your sleeping patterns?

Bronco
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Bronco polycounter lvl 18
Howdy guys

background story:- On the BBC news this morning they were going on about the possibility of genes being responsible for how much sleep you need without feeling tired. Some people need longer nights of sleep to function compared to others.

Well last night i went to bed at 10pm and woke at 7am for work,9 hours sleep,however I normally get 4-6 hours sleep..
So I woke at 7 and felt more tired than normal and ended up coming home from my COOP shift at 2 and falling alseep for 3 hours this afternoon.

its damn strange...anyone else find this?

john

Replies

• gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i tend to go to sleep at 4-5am and wake up somewhere between 1-3pm. i actually tend to sleep much better and can get up much more easily if i go to sleep at 11:30-12:30 and wake up at 9:00. consciously knowing this never seems to stop me from sliding into old habits; i'm like a satellite slowly losing geosynchronous orbit.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    These days I've been doing similar to what Gauss described... going to bed around 5am and getting up around 2pm. Mainly because the contract work I'm doing is for Americans, it's easier to keep on their time, heh. Also my uni classes are over for the time being so I don't have any daytime obligations as such. It's also prepping me (I keep telling myself) for the -4 hour change when I go to Canada in a couple of weeks.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I try to get atleast 4-5 REM cycles by sleeping 8-8.5 hours per night. I try to be in bed by midnight, and up before 9. I avoid caffeine so I can fall to sleep easier at night. I don't enjoy being awakened during the deepest stage of sleep, because I have a difficult time shaking off that bit of paralysis that sets in during REM, so I avoid waking up to alarms. It's healthier to let your body wake itself. This is a much different pattern than I had just years ago, and during school. These days I'm more productive, and my energy levels and memory have improved. While taking college courses, my grades never fell. And I have fewer neck and back aches during the day as my body has time to let my muscles shut down and rebuild. My pattern once resembled gauss', but I broke that habit. The human body is designed to be up when the sun is. cool.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I don't sleep. I recharge by eating soft baby faces. Keeps me looking/acting young too.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    11PM-1AM to 7AM-11AM is generally when I go to bed and wake up. I use to be 3-5AM to 1-3PM but that was to adjust to my work schedule.

If I wake up early its because my cat is attacking my toes. Upon which I wake up in a fury and soak the fucker in water and let him deal with that until I get the rest of my z's.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    22-6.30. I'm always awake by the time the alarm goes off.
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    Almost the same as gauss (except I need to be at work by 1:30pm). I love going to bed early and getting up early, seems to make my sleep and my day go so much better ... but maintaining that schedule is virtually impossible for me, for more than a few days at a time. Lately I've been falling asleep around daybreak. I might have blamed World of Warcraft for keeping me up, but after cutting it short last night and still not being able to get to sleep until the sky started turning blue, I think WoW just fills the time I'd be awake anyway. I need sleeping pills! Or maybe discipline!
  • Kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kirin polycounter lvl 18
    I generally go to bed between 11 pm and 1 am and wake up between 7 and 9. But lately, I've been having some cases of insomnia so my sleep schedule has been pretty odd.
  • Cthogua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cthogua polycounter lvl 18
    eh you guys get too much sleep, wink.gif
    I usually go to sleep around 1 or 2AM and get up at 6:30AM (to go to work) if not awakened by the demonic alarm (and depending on the quantity of whiskey consumed the night before) I'll usually sleep till 9 or 10AM though.

James Ball
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    i tend to get to sleep around 11 and wake up around 6:30 though i'll wake up a few times in between...
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    I get about four hours of sleep at a time. I sleep then work then sleep again when I get back if needed and if I'm not doing anything. I seem to have some form of insomnia so some days I get no sleep at all and usually make up for it the next day or the weekends.I usually go to bed around 2-5am.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Currently: My sleeping patterns are fucked.
  • DH_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DH_ polycounter lvl 18
    lately i've had the sleeping pattern of getting up at 9 am and heading to work at 10. I get off work around 7, when i get home i tend to fall asleep around 8 pm, then wake up sometime around 2 am. I then stay up till around 6-7 am because i cant fall back asleep, and end up feeling like complete shit the next day.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Sleep? What is this "sleep" you speak about?
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    go to bed at 11am-noon and wake up at 8-8:30pm. in college i stuck to a midnight to 6am schedule.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    i just got up at 2am. too many allnighters, my body clock is fubar
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I dont really have a sleeping pattern.

Currently, as I'm in crunch, im up at 10, at work by 12.30 after spending time with my wife and daughter, then I come up by 12.30, get to bed before 2.30 (I'm always wired and unable to sleep after longer hours as my mind is agitated to a larger amount), then I read for 45mins until the tylenol pm kicks in enough with the reading to tire my mind enough to sleep by 3-3.30.

r.
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    my sleep pattern has been fucked up as of late

Wake up at 6:30 for work
    Nap right after work at 4:30
    wake at 7 for dinner
    sleep at 2:30ish then up again at 6:30

then today after work i slept from 4:30 till 10 pm frown.gif
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequiN polycounter lvl 18
    Right now my sleeping pattern is a lot like Rick's. All kinds of fucked up. In thory it's supposed to be (for work) Bed by ~midnight, up for work by about 6:00am (I prefer to crunch early rather than late when Tins is working early, so I can maximise the time I see her for). And then on the weekend bed by ~3:00am and up at about 10:00am so I get a nice lie in.

This has occured exactly once in the last week, and today, being the weekend, I was woken by Tins at 9:00.

I'm getting to old for this shit wink.gif
  • eXpendabLe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eXpendabLe polycounter lvl 18
    My pattern is very similar to Sundance: 11:30 to 6:30 with the exception of Wednesdays which is my "computer night" and I'm up till 1:30 or so. My big problem sleeping is I'm sure I have sleep apnea which I really need to see a doctor about.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i wake up at 2.20am and 4.45am every single day. I have absolutely no idea why
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    I sleep pretty normal.. but my deal is. I change were I sleep every couple of months. In my actual bedroom... to my couch for a few months.. then to a storageroom on the floor. It keeps things kinda interresting.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    usualu sleep arounf 1 - 1:30 am and if i have to work the alarm wakes me at 9ish if i don't have to work sleep time varrys between 1-4 am, and no matter what time i go to sleep at, it seems if i have no alarm i'll sleept to at least noon
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    Ely is right, dump the caffeine or cut back and voila. You feel better. I got down to 3 cups a day, I was at like 15 to 20 !

I still have terrible cyles though. I go fairly regular from about 12 to 7. But at times get all wound up tighter and tighter like a spring then unwind and start falling asleep at 9 or 10 at night. Then recyle again and stay up to 1 or 2 or 3. Weird.....
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I'm actually getting over a bit of insomnia due to stress and a change in the weather...allergies. Waking has been difficult. I'm going to take some time tomorrow and maybe this weekend to loosen up, relax, and hopefully get my energy and flexibility back. Plus my mind has been too busy thinking about mod assignments, relocating, bills, etc.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    I fall asleep around 3 or so and wake up at 7. In highschool i used to manage 3 hours a night for weeks on end without feeling tired and knowing (more like fearing) full well that i would slip into a coma if i dared sleep any longer than that. there are times where i fall asleep when i get home from work around 6 or so and then wake up at 11 and stay up all night well into the next day.

crazy body clock
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
    Lately I've been going to bed around 1-2 AM and woke up around 8-8:30. I get to work between 9 and 10 AM and get home around 7-8 PM.

During the weeks I sleep in my bed, on the weekends I sleep on my couch in the living room where my TV is smile.gif
  • Nerd Groupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerd Groupie polycounter lvl 18
    Working from home has given me very interesting sleeping patterns. I'm a total night owl. So usually I sleep from 4 am - noon. But there were a few times I stayed up til 6/7 am. Now I'm unemployed so I can sleep whenever I damn well please.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    I'm in bed by around 2 am every night and get up at 8 am. If I could sleep more, I would, as it is good for you.

In college it was incredibly aggravating to be surrounded by other digital arts majors who loved to talk about their lack of sleep. perhaps this is a different topic altogether, but I quickly got sick of individuals who think the life of a game artist is somehow romantic by not sleeping and crunching, etc.

While I have yet to hit a serious crunch in the industry, I went through some really nasty deadlines in college that kept me up for days at a time- not because I wanted to, but because I wanted to graduate with a nice portfolio and actually get a job.

Sleep is a really good thing for both your physical and mental well-being. When in doubt, go to bed if you can, your body will thank you.
  • Hooker with a Penis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooker with a Penis polycounter lvl 18
    You gits' circadian cycles must be extremely screwed up :P

Anyhow, I usually get to sleep around 10-11am, wake up around 8-9am. Nothing really unhealthy about my sleeping pattern I think.