Home General Discussion

Lectures at the AI of Washington DC

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
I've been invited by the Art Institute of DC to give a two part lecture on texturing at the campus. Not sure if we have any students lurking on the board who attend, but I wanted to post about it anyway. I'm excited because each one of these lectures I do gives me more experience for the day I decide to start teaching.

The dates of the workshop will be tuesday the 26th of April, and the 10th of May, from 6-8 PM.

Replies

• Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Awesome Poopster! I think one more college and you're been to all in the country. You're going to have to start going to colleges in Mexico and Canada next.
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    Whoopty fricken doo!
  • HumbleEgo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HumbleEgo polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Poop,
    I just got home from your lecture. Bloody brilliant. It came at just the right time too. I'm currently building assets for my Senior Project and will start the texturing tomorrow! Thank goodness I attended or else I'd be going mad with UVWs.

Anyway, thanks alot for coming and I can't wait for the second session.
    -Dave
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Good work Poop. You should totally come over here to Scotland and teach everyone a thing or two. If there's one thing we don't have enough of, it's industry pros coming in and telling it like it is.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Poop, exactly how do you go about setting these things up? Do you just contact various universities and see if they're interested? When I was teaching, I don't think anyone in the department ever made a point of recruiting guest lecturers or the like. Of course, I was a professor at a state college, so maybe that kind of thing wasn't in the budget - 35,000 kids and no money, go figure! smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    AI of Washington DC? I knew that president was just a puppet and the machines control him!
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there Humble, it was my pleasure for sure. I'm sorry I rambled on so much and didn't get into the actual meat of the texturing, but I always feel like I have so much general theory to share.

I'd love that Mop, ask your uni if they could build it into the budget/curriculum and I'd be all for it! 8-)

Verm, for the most part, yes I contact them. The exception was Full Sail, where are very own Jeffro works as a teacher. He contacted me and was interested. With Digipen and the AI, I emailed them, and the teachers were already using some of my tutorials, so it was pretty easy to convince them to let me come and lecture.
  • HumbleEgo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hey there Humble, it was my pleasure for sure. I'm sorry I rambled on so much and didn't get into the actual meat of the texturing, but I always feel like I have so much general theory to share.

[/ QUOTE ]

No worries. You actually covered the part I was most interesting in getting tips on. I have a fine arts background, so altough I can always use more painting practice, it's not the part I'm worried about.

Your tips and assets on UVW unwrapped were great. Anytime I model something, laying out UVs give me brain tumors. I can't wait to put the new tips in action.

Will you be going over normal mapping on the next session? I watched that z-brush video of yours, but it'd be nice to pick your brain while you do it.
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    did he wear pants? he promised he wouldnt wear pants during the lectures.
  • HumbleEgo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I believe he wore shorts. Though I could be wrong, because he was behind a desk/pc the entire time.

In fact, had I not see him afterwards, I could have sworn that a flat-screen monitor with bleached blond hair was giving the lecture.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Flat screen monitor? Bah, not color accurate. :P

Keep it up Ben. There are never enough qualified educators out there in my opinion. You should video tape these sessions, review them, improve them, and market them. Just like Gnomon and countless others do DVD's, so could you.
  • Turbo Frog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turbo Frog polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Poop-
    Another student from the lecture here. I wanted to first say thanks for both your time and the wealth of info you shared with the class. I am in my fourth quarter at the school, and while our professors are quite knowledgeble when it comes to MAX, your lecture has by far been the most impressive. Your tips were valuable and I particulary liked your analysis of executing in MAX much like one would in chess. I look forward to joining the lecture on the 10th. By the way....great shirt!!! Doom 3 Rocks!!!!!

-Nick
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    are these lectures open to the public?
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I doubt it, but seriously dude, You are the only person on earth who has gotten as many 1:1 lectures from me. Any time you want, just truck your ghetto car/computer down to my apt and I'll show you something new.

Is the AI somehow closer to you up in the MD?

Turbo Frog: Again, it was my pleasure to come speak with you guys. I hope the next is just as informative.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    SO, did you wear your everlasting shorts or your brand new casual-business outfit? laugh.gif

I'm sure you had a blast at the lecture man! Congrats!
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    "Good work Poop. You should totally come over here to Scotland and teach everyone a thing or two. If there's one thing we don't have enough of, it's industry pros coming in and telling it like it is."

Here,here!! couldn't agree more with ya MoP.... Glad to hear its going well for you Ben,good luck with the next few lectures smile.gif.

john