Home General Discussion

Adobe buys Macromedia

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
parasyte7 polycounter lvl 19
Adobe buys Macromedia in a 3.4 billion dollar stock deal. crazy. so whats next adobe maya or adobe max?

Replies

• motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    In response, EA buys Adobe wink.gif.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Microsoft buys EA.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Microsoft buys EA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Game Over
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Wow I think I just witnessed armageddon
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well, maybe this will mean they can give Flash and Director some sort of useful interface. Flash's current UI (and general useability) seems like it was designed by some sort of sadistic clown with half a hand. At least Adobe products work the way you expect them to.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Holy freaking crud. Adobe is the new Microsoft of electronic media. Hopefully that'll be a New Republic situation, rather than a Galactic Empire situation.

Maybe now Flash won't lose its ability to refresh the display area after I import Illustrator vector data!

/jzero
  • BIOS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BIOS polycounter lvl 18
    nice, now maybe they can figure out how to keep pdf's from crashing firefox....
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Hopefully that'll be a New Republic situation, rather than a Galactic Empire situation.

I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    You have a link to your source on this? I tried to do a quick google™ search but could not find anything in the news...

[edit]
    Nevermind, Newsmap saves the day! - http://www.ecommercetimes.com/story/business/42364.html
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    You know whats funny?

Before Flash was bought by Macromedia - they went to Adobe and they told them it'd never work out and be a major thing. Macromedia has basically ridden on Flash's back.

and its cost Adobe $3.4bill
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    And then the world exploded.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    There is a theory that when a corporation starts to buy up others, it signifies that it has lost its own creativity.

The product overlap is going to kill.

In example:
    Dreamweaver Vs Go Live

(Dreamweaver is use more than Go Live)

Illustrator Vs Freehand

(Many Designers use Freehand more and more often)

Adobe by default would be allowed the choice of keeping there software, while incorporating the others. Expect alot of PISSED designers.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    You never know, they might be sensible, and just go with the more successful software, maybe incorporate some of the features of the other software into the more popular one.

Then again, since when were big corporations ever sensible? :P
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    could be worse, Microsoft could have bought macromedia.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or comcast could have bought and killed adobe and macromedia and killed them like they did to techtv...
    It still looks bad.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Best thing about this: The Version Number Wars can end at last, and we'll need no more of the false escalation of MX or CS. Ahhh.

AstroZombie : Why don't you just go to the source? http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/invrelations/adobeandmacromedia.html

Weiser_Cain : What did Adobe ever do to you? Did they dump you after a torrid romantic affair?

oXYnary : I'm a designer, like professionally. Freehand used to have a big following, but honestly I haven't seen Freehand files in use for at least six years. The only reason Adobe doesn't own Freehand already is that they had Illustrator, and 'they' wouldn't let them keep it when Adobe bought Aldus back in '96 or whatever. Freehand's tools were always weird anyway, and those AltSys guys were loony for making their own version of PostScript (forgive the ramblings of an old man).

I don't think anyone ever used GoLive for much, and I think no one will be sad if Dreamweaver replaces it. Especially not me.

I personally don't care about Adobe being 'creative', as long as they keep maintaining solid tools that work well and work well together. If they keep up with current needs and give me stuff I can actually use, like InDesign's side-of-screen flip-out palettes, I'm a happy guy.

Now, let's discuss the destiny of InDesign as the new ruling page layout tool. The rudeness and tyranny of Quark XPress must end!!!

/jzero
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I have learned anything in my short years on this earth, it's to fear consolidation and monopolies.
    All they need to do now is buy discrete or whatever it's called now and maybe a few other guys and make their products work best together, like microsoft does.
    We're screwed tis the end of it all!!!
  • Ctrl+Awesome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ctrl+Awesome polycounter lvl 18
    Im sure Autodesk is going to hold on tight to discreet.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    This could be a good thing. Both companies have solid and leading products. If they consolidate some overlapping products and merge the good functionality then that could mean big advantages.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or less jobs between the two and stagnanation.
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    Obviously you guys dont know how the food chain works.

macromedia>adobe>ea>ms>aol>disney>viacom>communist china

wink.gif
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

Illustrator Vs Freehand

(Many Designers use Freehand more and more often)

[/ QUOTE ]

where exactly? on the moon?

'cos down here on planet earth no-one uses freehand. What they should have done was intergrate freehand and flash.

This is good news for me, I've been using these products professionaly for about 8 years, and the whole adobe / macromedia thing was always a mess. Hopefully now they can sort us out with some good tools, and add design back to flash. (in recent years they have only focused on the programing side of things - leaving the graphical creation interface the same since FLASH v2, which is ironic because actionscript was added as a crappy afterthought when FLASH v4 was shipped.)

I agree with you JZero, indesign must become the standard for PDF creation, magazine creation (etc) AND visual webdesign (if they can finally make an editor that converts shapes into style sheets & w3c code)
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I can't believe this. The reality is anyone that could not afford Adobe stuff went and bought Macromedia stuff. Dreamweaver, Director cool, Flash hate it most the time, but once I force myself to use it long enough it seems to make sense after hours of endeless torture. Freehand, Fireworks....no comment... I learned if you have nothing good to say about something you should not say anything at all.... They blow .... Now Adobe hasn't made me happy as of late so with this and their new activation BS, I'm like why did I not see this comming... I go to sleep now and hope this nightmare ends, and Quark the piece of crap over priced piece of garbage goes to hell. End rant.

Alex
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I think this can be a very good thing, if they do it right.
    Lately I've been thinking they should merge Pllustrator & Photoshop. I prefer PS's vector tools to Illustrators crashy ones.
    PS + illustrator + flash?
    Dreamweaver + Go Live (only used dreamweaver)?
    sounds ok to me, as long as they don't screw it up, and the apps are 2x the price.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    'cos down here on planet earth no-one uses freehand.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I work at a newspaper and most (%99) of the graphics from the Associated Press are freehand documents... but judging by the equipment supplied by the AP for their satellite wire service (when was the last time you saw networking equipment with wood veneer?) they are a little bit behind
  • joolz8000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joolz8000 polycounter lvl 18
    I was pretty pissed when Adobe bought Aldus PhotoStyler.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I prefer PS's vector tools to Illustrators crashy ones.
    PS + illustrator + flash?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Illustrators crashy vector tools? Vector tools are an afterthought in PS, and much more clumsy to use, also... but in illustrator, well, what else is there than vector tools?
    Also, give it up, it'll never happen. Adobe will never merge photoshop and illustrator, unless they jack up the price, or perhaps to annoy the competit... oh, wait. nevermind.
    Seriously though, what's crashy about the tools?