Home General Discussion

Absinthe??

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JO420 polycounter lvl 18
Anyone tried it? bottle i ordered online just arrived and was curious to read other peoples experience with it.

Replies

• MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    It all depends on where you ordered it from, if it's from canada or the u.s its just a licorice-like tasting liquor, if you were somehow able to get it from france or the czech republic then theres a good chance there will be actual traces of woormwood. As far as halucenagenic experiences, I wouldnt be able to tell you, i've only had north american blends.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    came form the czech republic,it does contain wormwood 10% thjoune content
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Nice, be sure to prepare it correctly or you probalbly wont be able to down it.... http://www.crillonimporters.com/Absente/absente-serving.htm
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    yeah i read its really potent and has to be dilluted to be drinkable.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    I've had a shot before, but not enough to really feel its effects. Even though I don't like anis flavor, it makes the alcohol go down smoother; the absinthe I had was around 150 proof, and I was able to take a shot of it just fine.

From what I hear, the amount you would have to drink in order to hallucinate (if that's your intention) would be enough to knock you out cold, or possibly give you alcohol poisoning. Plus, that amount of thjoune can be harmful to your health (which is why it's illegal in most countries).

There are other, more subtle effects besides hallucinating, though. From what I hear, when you get drunk on absinthe, you suffer from the physical effects of alcohol, but maintain mental clarity. I actually noticed this a bit, even though I only had a single shot (I had been drinking vodka before, so I was a little drunk). It's a bit interesting when you feel and act completely sober, but then you go to stand up and you have little to no coordination.
  • sal_manilla
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    i only plan to drink 1 or two shots of it at the most, with my 6'5 290 size i should be ok laugh.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    My best friend's (Richard) last birthday party. Ordered it from Czech. Republic especially for that night.

Apparently at the end of the night my hands were melting into the kitchen table. I don't know what happened to Rich - apprently he 'went insane for hours'. He still won't say wtf happened to him.

Ok.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Omg.

What will I say?

How about - I hope you all die and rott in hel and never get a gig going in the industry because you drink Absinth and you are t3h sux?

or, How abouyt - If you drink it you will go to jail I hate you get out of my front lawn!!

or, How about - nope, sorry, can't say I've tried it. I wouldn't mind personally, but damn that shit's expansive.

Share your experiences with us, please.

Oh, check this out.
    http://www.museummorpheus.com/contemp/index.htm
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    lol @ shotgun. Touche.
    Me and my old London crew used to drink it on occasion. Make sure you get the real deal and not the crap without the wormwood. Rumour has it that absinthe is largely responsible for Van Gogh deciding that he needed to cut his ear off ( to be fair, it was actually only the lobe ).
    You gotta do it with the full sugar burning ritual too. That's half the fun. I still think it tastes absolutely foul ( I used to literally hold my nose whilst knocking it back in the vain hope of not getting the full taste ) , but boy did we have fun. We drank a bottle at the Glastonbury music festival one year and I lost a good few hours sort of floating around the field. A fascinating beverage that's for sure.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Friend had some. Don't drink it.
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Only drunk stuff with low Thujone content. I like the taste of anis (anyone else noted how close I is to U on the keyboard?) so I really liked it.

shotgun: Have a reply planned, but I say let dead dogs lie.

JO420: 10%? That's around ten times what's allowed in the EU so I would go easy on it. It's fully possible to drink as shots but that's no fun. Do the whole flammabe sugar thing. And is you like anis/licorice try importing (don't know your location) some Swedish Turkish Peppers (pretty strong licorice candy, found a page: http://www.northerner.com/indexes/swedish_candy_6.html)
    crush them up real good, pour in a big bottle with 100ml (100ml / 100g candy) 60% Vodka and shake. Damn fine shots, but don't drink to many, gets very sticky after a while.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    You gotta do it with the full sugar burning ritual too. That's half the fun.

[/ QUOTE ]Just don't try it after you've had a whole lot of other alcohol of various varieties otherwise you're likely to light yourself on fire, and if you've spilled absynthe on yourself, you're rather flammable. Careful with that shit.

The stuff we had didn't taste very anis-like, in fact it was so high in alcohol it didn't taste much like anything. I suspect it probably was rather lacking in wormwood.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jackablade: you probably had the 70%-kind, which is rather strong, yeah. When something contains that much alcohol, there isn't much taste left, and whatever IS left is drowned out by the alcohol.
    I'm going to import some absinthe soon, and i'll do the whole sugarcube thing then... i've only had it straight (70%) so far, and you get drunk WAY before you feel any of the effects, so there's just no fun in that.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    you can't buy it in america but its perfectly legal to import.. i have ordered a few bottols from the chec republic and it was pretty good ... but the best i have had was made by one of my girlfriends peers(she is a chemist)and so was he.. it was really outstanding.. we had the sugar cubes and the graters.. the whole 9 yards.. really wonderfull.. it has such a unique color and texture..ahh.. this thread has inpired me to go and order another bottle... its about 100 bucks US funds for the good stuff... yummmmmm...
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    Absinthe is the best drink ever! It's the only drink that i've chickened out drinking through my nose, or did I? I just cant remeber, and thats one of the reasons its great!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I had to show a bar tender here in tokyo how to make flaming absynthes once. took ages for his boss to let me set fire to the spoons.

when it was first legal in the UK everyone was mad for it. I drank some and almost lost my vision.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds like it tastes like crap smile.gif
    What is the side effect exactly? Is it like acid or shrooms?
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    you can't buy it in america but its perfectly legal to import..

[/ QUOTE ]

No it's not. http://www.a1b2c3.com/drugs/abs05.htm
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    As a general rule, if you can't buy it here there's a pretty good chance there's no legal way to get it here.
  • Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
    So heres the thing... the active ingredient is Wormwood. Now its a hallucinogen, and a pretty good one... despite it being dangerous. However most Absinth sold today (in australia and the uk) labelled with "contains wormwood" has 1/10th the concentration of the glory days of the impressionists. Infact, to get the effect nowadays you would have to drink enough that the alchohol would probably kill you before you get the visuals. That said, its a lovely drink and will certainly round off the rough edges of your night.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    i only plan to drink 1 or two shots of it at the most, with my 6'5 290 size i should be ok laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldnt be too sure about that...

Ive had that stuff on several occasions anyone that goes near it always ends up in a bad way. But thats also partly due to people mixing too many drinks and getting a bit "adventurous" when already pissed. If you're in that state its a killer.

On its own you might be ok.. its a great way to burn a hole in your stomach lining.. lol
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge- and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon.