Home General Discussion

UT 2006 (Screens)

Downsizer
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
May be old but I just saw the magazine today:

http://www.beyondunreal.com/main/future/envy.php

If my eye is trained as well as I think, those concept art scans look like our own Hawkprey's work.

Replies

• Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    can't say I'm not looking foward to it.
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Looks neat, I guess. Not much there, though. I hope the red guy isn't a Necris. I like the style they have for Unreal Champion 2 instead of the stupid bulky armor look.

Seeing Malcom reminded me of a scan I saw showing his 3D progression from UT, UT2KX, and Next-gen UT. Does anyone have this image?
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Teams
    Nakhti (Egyptians from UC2)
    Necris
    Juggernauts
    The Corrupt
    Iron Guard
    Krall
    Jacob's Team (Marines?)
    "Player's Team" (Unnamed)

[/ QUOTE ]

so i'm gonna say the red guy prolly is a necris...

pity they're taking assault out, i like assault...don't mind not having bombing run or double domination though...
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    I am looking forward to it, especially playing under the hood.

Scott
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    he isn't a necris
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    hmmmm i wonder who could have designed the red guys....no idea. Now is it a bad thing or a good thing that i can look at one of your concepts and know which one of you guys drew it. Maybe its because all of hawkpreys concepts have that same feel to them.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    hmmm, the bottom of Malcom's nose looks really strange in the last two pictures laugh.gif
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.beyondunreal.com/staff/raptor/envy2.jpg

For some reason, this guy reminds me of john romero
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Totally looking forward to it.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Well if I'd designed the guys in red they'd have legs like skyscrapers and the texture would have been done all in pencil so hawkprey is a better guess than me...
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    yeah I lurv it, definitely some sweet stuff.

I also like assault, it was alot of fun to play.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Well having too many gametypes was really diluting the UT2kX player base, so I suppose the loss of assault is something that must be done. It's a shame though. Assault mapping had almost limitless options. I hope they focus hard on getting those objectives into Conquest.

Those red guys can't be Necris, check out the middle guy. He doesn't look like a Necris at all. Plus, the armour should be black.
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    Awesomeness. Bring on the Unreal 3 engine eye orgasms!
  • Kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kirin polycounter lvl 18
    Looks pretty sweet.

/me prepares to save up for Upgrades.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    its nice, though, to see Epic has finally put a decent, or at least Fresh art director on what will be the cutting edge of her products. Someone seems to know what he is doing down there right now, and I hope we'll get to see some good art coming from them. The very first Unreal 3 engine shots impressed me, beyond just the technology show off. There was some good solid art production behind it, and this one sees one doesn't fall too far behind.

It's a shame, meanwhile, that with the opportunities they get from the new technology produced in-house, they don't come up with an art style that will use that technology to it's full potential. I mean, could be they think it works fine, but lets say, the way doom3 had its own technology that worked For the art direction, in Epic's games it comes the other way around. The game itself, in this case Unreal Tourney, meets this engine with pre-standarts that would serve the same art style that was used in the previous UT game. I'm not sure, but it doesn't seem they have come up with a new style and mood to the game, its still pretty much the same.

Again, maybe the relationship between the engine and the art is ultimate in this case, I'm not that familiar with the techy stuff (as usual) but it May be more "appropriate" to develop something that would really look new.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Man, shotgun, you complain about everything. I think these shots look great, a visually realistic evolution from the earlier UT games.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    haha
    yes sometimes it seems so doesnt it smile.gif
    I strive for more, more often that not.

I wasn't complaining though. Check your receptions.
    Something is filtering your thought.
    Though I should probably check my english~~
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    i thought they were going for evolution, not revolution anyhow...
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    hmm wow. Fuck, Please tell me that this is SSS on malcoms ears and nose (a bit). I really dig what is going on with this nextgen stuff.

rorshach, a possibilty to get to know who are the modellers for epic? Do they have some Portfolio site or something, iam really interested in the roots from the modellers. I guess its a not a bad idea for nextgen gamedev studios to hire from Television and Cinema Art departments.

thanks for the info.

And hey man this is so awesome. Im looking forward to the gameart in near future.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    no SSS on malcom, its a pure screengrab from ingame, theres a big push here to make pure grabs to bang the drum as loud as we can about our tech being THE tech for next gen platforms.

Now that we use normal maps, pretty much everyone here is a modeller. I'm 3d only these days as I want to focus on trying to catch up on the very large head start many people here have.

I think you are asking how people learned to model and if they have examples of their work for you to look at. Mostly, no, noone here really updates their site and those that do, don't house work on their site that reflects the standard of work they are doing here.

The red guy was modelled & textures by Aaron Smith, Malcom modelled and textured by Shane Caudle. Kevin Lanning works almost purely on character models, Danny Rodriguez models environments as do I and Josh Jay. Pete Hayes models vehicles, weapons, ambient characters, Kendall Tucker also models Vehicles as does Matt Hancy whenever anyone lets him stop making effects for everything on the planet, John Sheffield models and animates the weapons.

Most of the level designers are also hi poly capable and all the hi poly assets are textured by Maury Mountain, Chris Perna, Paul Jones and Mike Buck.

I think Kevin,Pete,Danny and Matt all did hi poly college courses and the rest of us just picked it up on the job.

Pete is the only one that I think has updated his site in the last year www.yemyam.com , it doesn't reflect the incredible work he's doing on the job though.

I hope this answers your question.
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Three intropages?!

From what I see that first UT enviroment pic looks incredible full of life. You should be proud of the work you and Epic are doing Rorshach, damn am I ever jealous smile.gif. Maybe if I keep going for nine more years I can get somewhere near this level of skill.
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, i thought this would be some sort of realtime SSS, rorshach.

Wow, i thought you picked up some modelleres from somewher for this game. Guess its time that i get into the industry instead of studing to learn all the stuff, like "by the way" smile.gif