Home General Discussion

romeo and juliet

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mishra polycounter lvl 18
it is a horrible horrible book for a plethora of reasons.

1) its in horrible rhyming old english which nobody spoke even then

2) romeo is a fucking pussywhipped little fellow. he goes out and does everything, makes arangements for the marriage, kills tybalt and all this nonsense.

3) the fucking horribly boring innuendo. "oh my pump is well flowered" shut the fuck up romeo you twat.

4) they've known eachother for 20 fucking minutes and he proposes so he can get some of that tail and juliet fuckin goes along with it the naive little skank.

5) OH LOOK AT ME IM IN LOVE WITH SOME PERSON I DONT EVEN KNOW AND SINCE THEY ARE DEAD I CANT FUCK THEM LOOKS LIKE IM GOING TO KILL MYSELF

6) romeo was just in love with this fuckin rosaline girl and shes not even in the fucking play, she sounded like a hot piece of ass that one. juliet just a little fucking 14 year old retarded girl.

7) the only redeeming thing about this whole thing was tybalt, he fucking did something. he was right about romeo not being good enough for juliet, romeo is a fucking little pussy whipped douche but then again juliet is a retarded skank so maybe they would be a good couple. a couple of morons. tybalt also killed that annoying mercutio character who spoke in sexual innuendos.

im glad shakespeare had syphillis and died, but not after writing ceaser. i thought ceaser was ok.

Replies

• Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    wow,all you have just done is enphisied how much you hate a story of love,I studied it at school,I also thought it was crap,but thats becuase im not into the soppy love story thing (maybe when i finally get a women that will change smile.gif)but the difference between you and I is that I didn't then come and make a post about how much I hate it on a public forum with a post that has more swear words in it than my dad uses during a stressful night of getting his arse kicked on various computer games.

hey and shakesspear was acturally a legend and I bet alot of people,despite its soppiness enjoy and acturally like the romeo juliet story.

But just try studying proper english mishra and use a dictionary to find words that describe your feelings rather than swearing.

john
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    It's the quintessential tragic love story. The only reason it seems hackneyed now is because it has been imitated and reproduced for hundreds of years now.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    It's the quintessential tragic love story. The only reason it seems hackneyed now is because it has been imitated and reproduced for hundreds of years now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or maybe it seems hackneyed only to 15 year olds who can't write an opinion about a work written in 1595 without cussin' all over the place and talking like he has seen it all and knows everything.

Teenage angst lol.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Dukester hits the nail on the head!
    I didn't think Romeo & Juliet was all that bad a read. Go try Wuthering Heights now, Mishra.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    are you sure you meant to post this in your livejournal?
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Or Great Expectations, I'm sure he would love that one too Mop.

Funnily enough I loved the cartoon version I saw of that when I was about 10,I thought 'yeah, thats just how girls are!'.... I must have been a weird kid!
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    I'll say two things on the topic of Shakespeare:

1) His comedies translate a lot better than his tragedies.

2) I really wish people would stop trying to adapt his work to different scenarios. Be it oddballs like Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet or acclaimed classics like Akira Kurosawa's Throne of Blood, I generally find those sort of adaptations to be almost unwatchable.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    "juliet just a little fucking 14 year old retarded girl."

15 year old boys are cool tongue.gif
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Wow...

I don't even know what to say... you're a 15 year old boy talking about a play written a long time ago when everything was different, describing Romeo as being "a pussy whipped little bitch who wants a piece of ass from some stupid ass skank LOLOL!"

It's probably just doesn't suit your taste, so you fail to see the historical significance of the play.
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Yeesh. Just because it's old, doesn't mean it has to be loved by everyone. So he has an opinion based on the wisdom he's gained in his short life. I'm sure you had less of an appreciation for things when you were young.

Mishra. It's a romance story in the grandest sense, so yeah, it's going to be very exhaggerated and floofy.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahaha ace. i was in a bad mood at the time so i felt like posting something random. i really dont like the story but i like some of the imagery and language in it, but it can drone on a bit.

p.s. 16 olololwtf
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I bite my thumb at you!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I also bite my thumb at you....BITCH!

Here is one that's closer to your reading level.
    http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/romjul.php
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I also bite my thumb at you....BITCH!

Here is one that's closer to your reading level.
    http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/romjul.php

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you quarrel, sir?
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Dukester hits the nail on the head!
    I didn't think Romeo & Juliet was all that bad a read. Go try Wuthering Heights now, Mishra.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahah! I remember reading Wuthering Heights in highschool. I don't remember much about the book other than how the condition of the moor reflected the attitudes of the owners of the 2 manors. Or some bs like that.

I saw bits of the movie version on TV... but hardly remember anything apart from Ralph Fiennes playing the main character.

I should either find the movie or read the book again just to refresh my memory.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Jeez, If you *really* wanna be bored utterly rigid, read some Jane Austin. I studied English literature at school, for the sole reason that I would get to be one of only a couple of boys amongst a class full of girls.

I got an F.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Mishra: Man, you ARE a teenager. Sheesh.

I can't recommend the Baz Luhrmann one with Leo and Claire, but I can urge you to try 'West Side Story', which is cool and swingin' in its own right, and it actually has the R+J story buried inside it.

And don't be such a teenage know-it-all. That way lies madness.

/jzero
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    thomas hardy writes dismal, boring shit. tess of the d'ubervilles and the mayor of casterbridge are depressingly grim reading. i think they're possibly the worst 'classic' literature i've had the misfortune to read.
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    I did a Star Trek-inspired costume design for Midsummer Night's Dream, which was amazingly fun. Though the show was axed to make room for a much cheaper locally-written play before it was even cast. Dammit! In six years of doing theatre, that was the only Shakespeare I was ever involved with, outside of dramatic lit class in college. It's heresy for a theatre major to feel this way, but I believe I got off lucky.

There is, however, a Japanese adaptation of Macbeth called, naturally, Shogun Macbeth, that I was dying to do. The very idea is just too weird.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    There is, however, a Japanese adaptation of Macbeth called, naturally, Shogun Macbeth, that I was dying to do. The very idea is just too weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

Throne of Blood, which I mentioned disliking above, is a feudal Japanese version of Macbeth.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    Romeo and Juliet is not a book, you lemon
  • Redlemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Redlemons polycounter lvl 18
    I loved Romeo and Juliet, but I hated Jane Eyre. Wuthering Heights was fantastic, I loved every page of that. My mother wanted to call my brother Heathcliff and if I ever have a daughter I will call her Catherine.

Charlotte Bronte, you suck, and Emily Bronte, you are awesome.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've probably read romeo and juliet a dozen times. Didn't help that I had to repeat an english class in high school. I had a talent for actually being able to read Shakespeare. I love the play. They both die. And what happened in Titanic? The bitch lived. I like Great Expectations to, such much that I refuse to make the recently film adaptation.

[ QUOTE ]
    Do you quarrel, sir?

[/ QUOTE ]

What noise is this? Give me my long sword, ho!
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Jeez, If you *really* wanna be bored utterly rigid, read some Jane Austin. I studied English literature at school, for the sole reason that I would get to be one of only a couple of boys amongst a class full of girls.

I got an F.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gah, I here you there. All though ol' Jane was responsible for some really good mid-class sketches which served as a means of both entertaining myself and preventing a the ever-creeping grasp of a bordem induced coma.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

I got an F.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gah, I here you there. All though ol' Jane was responsible for some really good mid-class sketches which served as a means of both entertaining myself and preventing a the ever-creeping grasp of a bordem induced coma.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps if you had paid more attention in your English class, you would have realised the third word in your post should have been "hear". And you might have used "although". And "Boredom"
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Perhaps if YOU had paid attention in your... uh... alright, I lose. smile.gif
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Mishra: Man, you ARE a teenager. Sheesh.

I can't recommend the Baz Luhrmann one with Leo and Claire, but I can urge you to try 'West Side Story', which is cool and swingin' in its own right, and it actually has the R+J story buried inside it.

And don't be such a teenage know-it-all. That way lies madness.

/jzero

[/ QUOTE ]

actually we are reading west side story aswell, i think romeo and juliet is better than that and uses more common language which is weird. the movie though is ace for the simple fact of there being gangs going around dancing and snapping at eachother.

but seriously, romeo and juliet is kind of illogical, they do not know eachother but this stuff still happens.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You've never seen two people meet each other for the first time and the proceed to do stupid and crazy shit they would never do normally? Wait til your friends' hormones start kicking in. You'll be trying to climb every girl's balcony on your street.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no ive definitely see it i dont approve of it though
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    The girl who played juliet in the movie we were made to watch in class was hot...like the sun is hot. And she was only 13, yet showed her bewbies.

And I played Romeo in High School....
    And Pip in Great Expectations.
  • Nerd Groupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerd Groupie polycounter lvl 18
    I was Sampson in high school. Yep, had to play a guy. But I got to bite my thumb.

I love Romeo & Juliet, was not impressed with Wuthering Heights.

Don't forget the Great Gatsby!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hah, yeah, I quite enjoyed The Great Gatsby, actually. Can't really remember much of it nowadays, though... been about 5 years since I read it!
  • Nerd Groupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerd Groupie polycounter lvl 18
    I actually liked the Great Gatsby too. Especially for the variety we had in my Advanced Lit class. (Lord of the Flies...ugh.)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    The girl who played juliet in the movie we were made to watch in class was hot...like the sun is hot. And she was only 13, yet showed her bewbies.

And I played Romeo in High School....
    And Pip in Great Expectations.

[/ QUOTE ]

heheh, I remember seeing that movie in middle school (Junior High) and the teacher didn't screen it before hand so she flipped at the nudity scene.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the actress wasn't 13 then, in the movie they were something like 18 and 21. but yes claire danes she is hot.

my teacher refers to claire danes as a hot piece of snatch : /
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    psst... he might have been refering to Olivia Hussey who was 15 at the time, not claire danes....
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    olivia hussey who the hell

oh you're talking about the ancient 1960s romeo and juliet right? yeah my teachers opted to show us the 1996 one.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    there's so many Romeo and Juliet movies we're probably all talking about different ones. I totally forgot about the '96 Romeo + Juliet movie till I searched imdb. Now that I look, I think it was the 1968 version I saw.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    You got it Dukester, Olivia Hussey, although Claire was hot when I photographed her. She was flirting with me quite a bit that day as well, although I presume thats more because she's an actress as opposed to really liking me.

(according to IMDB Olivia Hussey was 17 when R&J was released)
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

15 year olds who can't write an opinion about a work written in 1595 without cussin' all over the place and talking like he has seen it all and knows everything.

Teenage angst lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

I loved it up untill "lol"
    But still, touch
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

I loved it up untill "lol"
    But still, touch
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well not ancient, but older. ive only seen that one up until right after the "do you bite your thumb sir" part.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heh heh you had me feeling quite old there smile.gif
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh dont worry, you certainly are old.
  • Dukester
    Options