Home Technical Talk

small web turnarounds?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
What would you guys recommend for showing off a rotating model? I've done some testing with small DivX avi's, but I think you can do aomething like a 24 separate frames as a scene with a slider control under it, which gives the viewer a little more control. Do these things have to use flash/shockwave?

Replies

• CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    Viewpoint was good until they went for watermarking shite

Luckily there's a blender viewer plugin but it's for windows only atm

You could also use VRML (hahhaha)
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Watch out for requiring anyone to have a special plugin to view models, especially if this is to be a professional portolio. Most people doing hiring will just skip you and go on to the next candidate. But if it's just to show stuff for friends, etc., then that's fine. In the latter case, Quicktime VR could be a good fake 3d option.
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequiN polycounter lvl 18
    Have 3 thumbnails, linking to 3 images of different views, plus a link to a shockwave 3d or Quicktime VR file if you have access to either software. The images are quick to view, and if the viewer wants to see more they can, and they'll know it'll be worth getting the latest shockwave or quicktime to see it (or not, as the case may be).
    Failing that, render out to an AVI or Mov and link to that (keep the still renders though). The files will be bigger, the quality not so great (if you're keeping the file size small), but it's an option available directly from Max, and possibly Maya too.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    flash

example:

render 20 frames, import them into a flash stage, grab some action script that controls movie clip speed by mouse position.

bobs your uncle

cheap and rather graphics heavy, but flash does have a 98% audience so they are very likely to see it.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks for the wise words everyone. I'm going to try several alternatives, and probably go for three or four static views - along with a separate link for a more graphics heavy solution. P.S, Hawken I voted '8' - for nostalgia's sake.