Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-fi doorway piece

halo
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
halo polycounter lvl 18
This is meant for real-time use (504 polys). Is this good?

I'll probably continue the angled beam until it forms half of a complete doorway, in an L-shape.

Suggestions?
skinme.jpg

Download

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, man, I think I've build a thousand of those things. :P

Good start! My only crit would be exaggerating the scale a bit on the small bottom piece, and thicken up the pipes, to help enhance the profile at a distance. It could work out to embed some lighting in there somewhere, and seriously consider some bottom trimming. A good trim will assure easy placement in many areas for the level builder. Looking forward to how the rest of this comes out.
  • halo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    halo polycounter lvl 18
    I didn't add any details to the inside face because I thought, "Well, I'll just let the texture carry it". I got it all cleaned up and came to a point where I don't really know what to add to it, without fucking it up. In the end, I would like an angular-looking multilayer doorway like the one in CTF-Chrome. I see what you mean about the (lack of) bottom trim, but right now I am drawing a total blank.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    right now I am drawing a total blank.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then here's some very basics:

trims.jpg

Bringing it in can really break the floor from the wall, but it can be difficult to use everywhere. The 2nd works, but angles, like in the 3rd, can be the most affective, visual and profile enhancing. Also making something like the first, with angle can be fancy, but it's all up to you and the style you're going for.
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mangled Poly polycounter lvl 18
    Angles are so scifi!
  • halo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    halo polycounter lvl 18
    I am thinking I'll do another flat extruded layer with a chamfer, kind of like a sleeve wrapping halfway around the left side.