Home General Discussion

Really annoyed by lack of nintendo DS games

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JO420 polycounter lvl 18
Been quite a few months and barely 1 or 2 decent titles out, i wonder what gives? what bother me more is that im not hearing anything else about new titles either.

you think they would have had more planned like the Psp

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Jo, this is why I'm waiting as long as I can to get a DS (a.k.a. when Castlevania comes out or never if there isn't anything else I want by then).

The deal is, Playstation Portable is just that, a portable Pplaystation, with slightly lower specs. This allows for all the great games and gameplay to be directly translated, and developers can create new titles based on the same design principles we've adapted to since the release of the ps1. They also have a huge list of 3rd party developers.

The DS, on the other hand, is like a new style of portable console. As a developer, we having to buckle to using two screens and the touchpad. Additionally, it's limitations are less than that of an n64. Therefore, we have to wait for 2nd and 3rd gen DS games to come out before anything can really take advantage of the system.

The simple answer is: get a PSP. Honestly, it can do everything, play games, movies, mp3s, pictures, store all of the above, browse the web, etc. In fact, just yesterday, my PSP rescued my cat from a tree and performed reconstructive surgery on my grandmother's hip. </sarcasm>
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    I'm waiting for Need for Speed Underground and this Gundam game. Both are coming very soon.
    I loved the Asphalt racing game.
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    The touch pad was a cool idea/feature...But other than that its a glorifed GBA.

I hope to see it fail.
  • War_Destroyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    War_Destroyer polycounter lvl 18
    I feel your pain JO420. I to Have a DS and I will soon be getting rid of it to make room for that eventual PSP.
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I hope to see it fail.

[/ QUOTE ]

ouch.
  • mr.toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr.toast polycounter lvl 18
    ever played that wario game, got me addicted to it for a while, has so many minigames using the touch screen and the mic, and has some funny random minigames, some are pretty sick and twisted
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    im gonna hold off buying a psp just yet,frankly the psp seems too fragile,that disc drive and unprotected screen looks like it could cause issues.
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    I hope that Nintendo dares to do something different with DS and not just copies the GBAs' lineup.
    Looking forward to:
    Meteos, Puppy Times (yes, it's unbearably cute), Animal Crossing DS, Jam with the Band, Zoo Keeper DS, Polarium, Pac-Pix, Boktai DS and Lost in Blue.

The PSP is too expensive, the games are too expensive, I don't need another MP3 player, movies on that small screen? and short battery-life. At least the screen doesn't seem to be prone to scratches which I thought at first.

Also: Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings confimred for DS. GAH?!
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Read today that Katamari Damacy is coming for the DS too blush.gif
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    FPS as metroid has shown would also work well on a ds with its touch screen and a wand. PSP on the other hand would suck.

AofE II?? Katamari Damacy? My interest is peaked, thought not the moths in my wallet.
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Just wait and see which one of the two that looks best after E3 and go with that one. I'll stick with my DS, and if all the games suck I'll just sell it and keep cuddling my SP...
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Get a GP32, it is still better that the PSP and the DS, even though it is a few years old already... for example it just got a full speed Genesis/Megadrive emulator tongue.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    The DS has had the best launch titles of any console I have bought in the last 10 years.

Mario/Wario/Polarium/Project Rub/Mr Diller/Pokemon/Yoshi
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

AofE II?? Katamari Damacy? My interest is peaked, thought not the moths in my wallet.

[/ QUOTE ]

i kept talking about how awesome katamari damacy ds would be if they made it and apparently they are so fantastic. i'm also anticipating the inevitible starcraft ds.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    I need more Mario! Or a comparable platformer.

- BoBo
  • jgall21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jgall21 polycounter lvl 18
    you should have saved up fpr a PSP instead of jumping right into the Nintendo DS. I usally wait to see what systems come out b4 I make my choice its always better to have an option when it comes to buying a game system. the PSP in my opinion will blow away the DS, anyone wish to second that?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I doubt that. If we're talking about potential, the DS has much more of that. If we're talking about the present, on the other hand, neither system is worth buying. I mean, look at what they have, a few ports, one or two original games and a lot of garbage. What will they become? I'm not sure about the DS but the PSP will become a collection of PS2 ports and games that would have been for the PS2. If you want a port machine, sure, the PSP will blow away the DS but most people don't want that (and 250 is too much for a secondary system). There's little incentive for people to buy it (as proven by the sales), therefore too few users, therefore little incentive to make PSP exclusive games, therefore little incentive to buy the PSP.

All in all, don't buy the stuff now, wait until the games you want are out, by then the price might have come down.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Will it blow it away? Why will it? What are your reasons for the blanket statement?

The PSP is a PS1.5, the DS is a Supersupersupersuper NES. The DS has a touch screen that works very well, so it gives another input method. There are already original games ideas coming out for it - you can even use the mike to play games.

Why should I have waited and taken the PSP? I'm getting both. I wasn't paying through the nose for imports. The DS is released here, the PSP isn't.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    see waht alot of people overlook is the portability aspect of the these 2 systems, one of the things i like about my DS is the battery life, 8 hours total when i charge it, which works very well for me in filling in gaps in time like when i go to the gym i like to play a game of Madden which is close to an hour in length i also take it with me to the movies and use it at work.

DS may not have the graphics like a Psp but i personally prefer more play time over graphics and frankly until the battery life of a psp goes up i dont see it as being too mobile of a system,as someone mentioned earlier i dont want an mp3 player i already have one,same goes for me.

psp may have superior graphics but ill gladfully sacrafice that for gameplay time
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I own both, and I am more excited about the PSP and what it can do. The DS has a few things going for it and I hope they grow the library of games and come out with some truly unique stuff. Since I don't own an I-Pod and the DS doesn’t do movies and music, I am pretty excited to have something that will work like an I-Pod and give me more.

I can almost count the pixels on the DS screens. With the PSP I get a better picture then on my TV. Right now there just isn't anything that makes me excited about the DS, sure it has the promise of bringing some really good games that are true innovators, but really when was the last time the industry was all about taking a chance and staking a title and a 8-24 month dev cycle on innovation? Something tells me developers are going to go for the safe money, the tried/true method of ps development they have been using. Really the wide screen on the PSP could be split in half and games coded to treat them as separate screens without a big hinge in the middle. The only thing it would lack is the stylus, which isn’t a deal breaker for me.

I am afraid that I will end up dusting off a section on the shelf O’ shame, next to the virtual boy... unless some seriously good stuff happens to the DS. I'm crossing my fingers but the magic 8 ball says "future is cloudy".
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and the DS doesn&#8217;t do movies and music

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=246&products_id=6239 <-- Pretty expensive but the price difference between SD and Memstick should partially make up for that. That + a GBA (SP) + 1GB SD is much cheaper than a PSP + 1GB MS.

The stylus might not be a big deal to you but it is for me. Imagine playing an FPS or RTS with just an analog nub or gamepad.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    nintendogs looks cool.

I think band brothers is getting a engish release also... I have it and it's not very good. But music freaks will love it!! (I'm not too keen on the way the score scrolls, as its hard to anticipate the notes)

yep, nintendogs would probably keep me occupied for the rest of my life. I love those types of games that have no objective and only serve to be interactive / ai / pysics based leisure play things. I charge my DS once a week and this is more than enough to get all I want out of it... except I only have 1 decent game. Mario64.

In nintendogs you can also talk to your dog! OMG!

(what KDR_11k says... I regularly play SNES & NES games on my DS thanks to my linkup doobie)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

The stylus might not be a big deal to you but it is for me. Imagine playing an FPS or RTS with just an analog nub or gamepad.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is just it, they should have launched with something more than a wierd nitch title like "warioware touched". If they had an RTS (or anything that remotely put the stylus to good use) I would be trying to pry the DS from my wifes hands. But they don't have anything good yet. Sure they have some rehashes of old N64 games a a water'ed down cube game... It has promise, but based on launch titles people will go with what they see has the better games, more power, more functionality. Which will impact what games get made for which system, after launch. I see the DS having a few good games a few months from now when it is too late. Not having any solid titles when it counts (at launch) is only going to make the PSP that much stronger.

Nintendo tried to beat Sony to the punch much like sega did with the saturn. Now they are paying the price for not having some stellar launch titles that fully support its features. I will be very sad when and if Nintendo doesn't manage to pull some good games out of the DS hat... Give me Avanced Wars RTS style and I will play it. Give me some goofy mini-game based on an annoying alt version of Mario? Not going for it.

If they don't get some AAA titles out soon, I see developer/nintendo relations becoming more strained as the finger pointing starts, as to why the DS isn't doing so well.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Not having any solid titles when it counts (at launch) is only going to make the PSP that much stronger.

[/ QUOTE ]
    The DS sold very well during the launch from what I've read so the lack of titles as is mentioned in this thread didn't matter apparently. 600k DS's sold in Europe in the first 4 days is a hell of a lot. I doubt it did worse in the US or Japan.
    I'm sure that the PSP is a strong competition for Nintendo but on the other hand they have differences in target audience so it's hard to compare them.
    I think that both will do good in the end.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I haven't been a fan of Nintendo since Mario 64 and doubt I ever will be again - games and hardware.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I'd wait until Nintendo and Sony release version 2 of their new portables, you know they will.

I'm sticking with the GB advance SP, it's super portable and I can get the games really cheap.
  • da_milkman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    da_milkman polycounter lvl 18
    Well you have to give Nintendo the gold star for the wierdest promo...
    http://www.touchingisgood.com/

Free manequin hands while they last.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ikraan: The DS sold out in all territories after launch and continued to be low on stock in the US for weeks.

Verm: I doubt people think much about the launch games. The PSP is more expensive, isn't suitable for the kids (and adults don't have much time to play on the go outside of Japan) and doesn't play GBA games. The main problem seems to be the price, though. Nintendo did a good job of spoiling the customer's mind with the idea that a handheld should cost around 100$. Either way, the DS sold out everywhere, the PSP only in Japan (launch shipment: 200k) so whatever perception of value the people might have, it favours the DS.

Also, many people don't buy ANY games with their new system. The DS can play Gameboy games, the PSP is bought for its multimedia capabilities. I think the PSP sold more systems than games in Japan, there are no sales stats rom the US yet.
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Gah! No creepy hands for non-Americans! Damn Nintendo and their legal mumbo-jumbo!