Home General Discussion

New Dr who - opinions

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
Peronally I thought it was the biggest let down ...ever in
the entire universe.
All it would taken would have been a roomful of people viewing it to tell them how utterly awful it was.
Christopher Eccleston - I just want to throw darts at his head for that annoying stupid grin

Replies

• sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    i on the otehr hand thought it was great and thoroughly enjoyed it and thought eccs was fab. they seemed to treat it as a huge adventure and a fun one, which is what it should be.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Billie was kinda annoying, and the enemies were lame, but not a bad effort.
    I personally though Ecclestone was ok. A bit too jokey for Dr. Who, maybe, but enjoyable anyway.
    The CG graphics were pretty lame.
    When they put the Daleks back in it might improve... I'm not hugely disappointed but I'm not hugely thrilled either.
    Then again I haven't seen the original Dr. Who episodes since I was about 10, so I can't really compare the two very well.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    shame they did n't show us the proper script, the one not written by a 12 year old.
    I grew up with the 70's doctor who, but was n't bothered that they had changed the style of it, just that it seemed really badly written.
    Billie pipers acting was awful and eccleston grinned more than George Formby.
    I just thought it was a shame that after all the hype , it turned out to be a bit lame
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    it certainly was more fun than i expected, i was fearful they'd make it miserably po-faced and earnest like 99.8% of modern TV bollocks these days (and especially that godawful Dr Who tv film with Paul McGann). And the budget CG gave it that cheap'n'cheerful feel that Dr Who was built on, no complaints on that front.

I dunno, i was pleasantly surprised but not bowled over - i'll be interested to see where it goes. We should bump this thread in 12 weeks.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Well, hopefully it will quickly improve. couldn't get much worse.I think I was mainly angry because I had watched all the interviews and hype and was rather annoyed with the actual episode.
    The funniest bit was the badly photoshopped photographs of doctor who appearing throughout history. That was unforgivable really
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, I thought those were great.

Oh, and I recognised that Geordie guy who had the photos in his garden shed... what's he been in? Is he a comedian? I can't for the life of me remember what he's been in, and it's been bugging me for ages!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    he is in those stupid building society adverts. where he blabs on about how he can only lend pens to first time buyers. (least I think it is him)
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    see, ruz, you let the hype get you carried away. me, i only took a minor interest in it up until last month when SFX covered it, so i was fairly open minded...
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    At least now I expect the rest of the series to be awful so I might get a pleasant surprise( if I can be arsed to watch it that is)
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    first episodes are always a bit crap, it takes time to really establish characters and their relationships.

Eccleston did piss me off a bit though, he just played the role too wacky.. a bit Tom Baker meets ronald Mcdonald.

;(
    I'll give it a few episodes and hopefully it will get better.