Home General Discussion

Culture and Crunch

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
Last night I went to an IGDA lecture by Evan Robinson going over his research and findings from that crunch paper he posted at IGDA a few months back that alot of you loved.

One thing I did find interesting was the discussion of how culture effects the productivity, and thus why in part this promotes crunch to becomes part of the cycle.

So Im wondering. I know for me personally no distractions would allow me to get most of my work done. Would you be willing to give up some of the "layed back" ideas?

Examples (not all companies apply):
The ebay checkings.
Internet surfing.
Company "social" events.
OT chatter in the background.
No real specific lunch and break times.

If say the payoff meant you could do something much closer to resembling 40 hours a week?

Replies

• Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    I think my productivity would improve if the culture here recognized headphones as a "leave me alone" kinda signal. I violate the sanctity of headphones too, because our culture doesn't see them that way, but would be glad to leave headphone-equipped people alone if it meant I would enjoy the same privacy.

I do think core hours are important and should probably be expanded from the usual four or five hour period in the middle of the day, to a straight-out 9-5 or 10-6. I work better when I get in early. Having been nocturnal for thirty years, this surprises me, but it seems that every day that I get in by 10 turns out to be a productive, satisfying day. Unfortunately I have a very hard time keeping that up on my own, and a company policy that forces me to come to work early every day would be helpful even if I grew to resent it.

I haven't always been this good about it, but lately I've been working 40 hour weeks and keeping the websurfing reigned in to those two 15-minute breaks I seem to remember the state of Wyoming guaranteeing when I worked at JC Penney. I doubt that applies to employees of North Carolina companies but it feels reasonable to me, and the little rests stave off mental fatigue.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Not another work/crunch topic !!!!!

The Capt. says " The only crunch topic you need is Capt. Crunch " !!

crunchberries-gu-15-f.gif
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    headphones suck, i've never found a pair that are comfortable
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i've read and re-read your post, and i still have no real idea what you are asking.

If (as it sort of seems) you're asking to what level do distractions affect crunch time ... well, it's the same as normal work hours. 1 hour spent checking ebay or discussing the world's best biscuit (the Ginger Nut) means 1 hour not moving positively towards your deadline.

But, in crunch, that single hour becomes far more vital, the problem is massively exacerbated - its not just an hour knocked off your own personal working day : rather it could well be an hour lost out of build time, out of test time, out of going home at the hour you promised or else your marriage-gets-anulled-time.

Its not a question of how many hours you personally might end up working, it's a question of "is this game going to ship when we said it would?"
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    headphones suck, i've never found a pair that are comfortable

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the ubiquity of headphones across this hemisphere and onto the next, I'd say it's your ears that suck. wink.gif
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    I think he's asking this:

Alot of us in the industry complain about crunch and so on and so forth. But, alot of the things we're allowed to do (OT talk, surf teh web, and stuff) wastes time and contributes to crunch being needed. So, would we rather be doing less crunch but having less of those time-wasting luxuries, or continue doing lots of crunch while keeping those thing?

Me, personally, I don't care too much because for myself, I'm a young single person with not much to do with the day. Plus, each hour of overtime brings me closer to taking a full month of vacation. smile.gif
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    being "allowed" to surf the web is something i've never come across. Of course everybody does it, but i hope that those i have to work with accept the responsibility for doing it - time spent not working isn't going to magic itself back into the schedule without effort.

Dependencies are important to consider. You waste an hour, you put an extra hour back ... but do it BEFORE you fuck someone else's schedule. I'm not happy working late because someone else realises they have an empty evening and can happily work after hours.

And i've no idea what "overtime" is.
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    Guilty. I dick around on the intarweb too much at work. But what is worse is any form of IM chat. I end up getting caught up in a chat with a co-worker (no outside IM thankgod) about work related things, but mostly random chatter.

I spent maybe a good 2 hours to today just chatting. Then again I did keep up on my work, so its not that I am slacking, but rather not keeping busy as I proablly should.

I feel bad about it sometimes. I need a change of pace.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I've had to turn IM off at work. I just found that I would be interrupted all day otherwise.

Yeah I surf when I feel like it. Work can be mentally draining and you need a periodic distraction. But it's up to you to figure out whether or not you surf for an amount of time that adversely affects getting work done. People find different ways in the office to kill time. There are folks I know that I don't think browse much at all, but instead they're chatting in other peoples cubes all day, or on the phone all day ( there is nothing more annoying than sitting within earshot of someone that does that ) or just generally not around and across the street in Starbucks, or bench pressing in the gym. My point being, internet or no internet, people will find ways to kill company time. Heck If you really despise your employer, spend hours in the toilet. Nothing like taking a crap on company time.

Some places ( e.g ILM ) don't have an internet connection at every workstation. They share a PC sat in the corner If they need the internet. That blows if you ask me.

And no, I would never give up lunch hours ( ?! A very necessary breakup of the day ) in exchange for a 40 hr week.

And yeah, headphones on should ideally be a 'no, go away' signal.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I thought lunch was generally excluded from the hour count?

And what about a sign saying "When headphones are on avoid unnecessary disturbances"?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz, Sorry I meant for those places that have no specific time constraints for lunch. Meaning that you could take it when and as long as you like as long as within reason.

Versus the 40 hour method of 30 minutes is your time for lunch between "X" and "Y". No more, no less.

With web surfing what about in the mandatory 15 minutes breaks?

Danr, would making these rules enforcable help drop some of the "backlog" because of the people who abuse it?

I guess Im saying overall if this helps Danr, that having a implented structure and focus on keeping the worker on task versus the method now of haphazard allowing the culture of the work place to overshadow the ability of the worker to be effecient. Leading in part to the need of crunch.

Having a more authoritarian/structured workplace could be a possible way to reduce this back to a (nearer-as Mr. Robinson showed it a variety of issues), 40 hour week. Would you accept this if it would keep crunch down?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    "Meaning that you could take it when and as long as you like as long as within reason."

Oh don't worry, as far as lunch goes, we Soooo do ;-) ( and beyond reason ) 2 hrs on a friday is pretty much a given smile.gif

I don't do the 15 minute set break thing, but I get up and wander around when I feel like it of course. Heck, that's actually most of my job these days anyway. wandering around putting out various fires.....throwing buckets of water onto SouL to wake him up.

No, I wouldn't think anybody really wants a more authoritarian workplace. Besides, mandatory crunch is a myth. You can opt in or out. Honestly, it's up to you. Nobody is chained to their desks. And YES. That includes EA! It might mean the difference between big bonus and small bonus. But wtf. It's only dollar. Not as important as ones time.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Besides, mandatory crunch is a myth. You can opt in or out. Honestly, it's up to you. Nobody is chained to their desks. And YES. That includes EA! It might mean the difference between big bonus and small bonus.

[/ QUOTE ]

The way >>>some<<< of the experiences from the audience (and Mr. Robinsons examples from EA) sounded last night it was more the difference of being layed off, fired, quitting, or other such obstacles in ones career. So when is a "choice" no longer a "choice"? wink.gif
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    hahahaha maybe its the lack of sleep, but i can totaly see you truly walking around with a bucket of water to wake soul up.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I can't speak for anyone but myself. I've worked at the same studio for almost 5 years and lived through several 'mass' layoffs ( and by that I mean, arranged, arrive in the morning, cops outside just incase, upstairs various people ushered into a room and handed cardboard boxes ) and never once did I go 'oh wow, they fired THAT guy?!' It was always obvious who wasn't gonna make the cut. Perception of 'performance' and 'worth to the company', If you're talented, able ( not to mention cunning ) honestly has little to do with how many hours you work. I may be opening a pandoras box here. But Im simply speaking from personal experience. The bottom line is, If you're of use to the co, ( or at least there is that perception ), then you wont be gotten rid of in a layoff ( where I work. I keep needing to stress this and there's a reason why that I'll get to shortly ). Layoffs at EA are not really blanket layoffs in the same way that they are at smaller companies ( i.e shit,panick, we need to lose like 50 people NOW to keep the co. afloat ), they are always considered on a case by case basis.

If you are of worth to the co., crunching is a choice. As it is for all employees. Like I said, nobody is chained to a desk. You can get up and go home whenever you want to. Survival of the fittest, dog eat dog, whatever you want to call it. If you're a below average /easily replacable employee, you could crunch and still get laid off at the end of a project. The bottom line is, crunching aint worth it for anyone!
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok then Back on Topic. If you wouldnt be willing for a more authoritarian office. What would you like to see that would help stop even "choice" crunch as much? The "tog dawg" mentallity of a competing project directors trying to one up the other in shorter times?

Damn I realized maybe some of what you would like you cant post because you lack the anonymity.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    What would I want to see implemented in an effort to ease crunch time?
    It doesn't make a difference. We have schedules figured out. If we have 3 days on paper to make character model, then we use that 3 days. As responsible, adult, self sufficient and easily distracted and amused individuals we might personally factor into that time several hours of socializing, web browsing, chinwagging, Battlefield, polycount messageboarding, nut scratching, crapping, wanking or whatever. But we're still gonna get the character done in the time that we have alloted for it. So it doesn't really make a difference what the studio environemnt is.

The only thing that will stop 'crunch time' is better project management..
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a small update. I found the powerpoint on Mr. Robinsons website if anyone has a use.

http://www.enginesofmischief.com/talks/Sputnik.pdf
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    There's an excellent article in the magazine 'American Way' about what Pixar has done to foster a company culture and work environment that allows creative productivity to flourish. One of the more fun things is that employees, which have large cubicle-like dwelling in an open floor plan (to encourage people to get together), are allowed to decorate/design their space as they'd like. Apparently there's a Scottish employee whose office has been buit to resemble a small castle, just sitting among some more traditional looking offices... quite funny.

There are company-wide crits--when you join Pixar you get used to putting up everything you draw or render or whatever so that you get used to that culture.

The most important thing is that the article points out that Pixar has been careful to create an environment that can foster creativity -and- productivity. Belying some of the common thought on the subject, you can take something as seemingly fickle as creative/artistic expression and make it work and be productive... they go so far as to say that with less structure in place, not only would employees be less creative, but they'd be less creative as well.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gauss, was that before or after Pixar moved? From what I understood, the new location was with each person having their own office, while the old had this cubicle design (unless they went back).

Though I do remember one situation they mentioned at Pixar where one person wanted to work later than the rest, and the manager forced him to go home. As they had seen the quality drop off from previous experience.