Home General Discussion

God of War

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
Well, I just finished the hydra. My impressions of the game so far are this:

This first level was really dynamic. Going up and down, through narrow and wide. It was pretty cool. I just hope they stay like this throughout the game.

Graphics are pretty good, too. Alot of movement going on on the screen to help things look dynamic. The enemy I've been fighting so far is pretty boring, but by what I've seen from vids, it looks like they get more interesting.

The combat system is a bit of a let-down, though. Since the strong attack finishes off a combo, there's no way to mix up the combos. Yet. Of course, since I'm just in the beginning, I don't have all the moves available, yet. I'll see how this works out after I've leveled up the weapons a few times.

Anyways. Anyone else playing this? Anyone here work on this?

Edit: Ok. The nudity and sex game was completely unnecessary. Kind of cheapening.

Replies

• Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    I know what you mean. Pulped flesh, dangling intestines, exposed brains, screams of pain and death rattles are cool, but sex? So cheap.

I haven't played it yet but I'm looking forward to it!
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, that game looks to be really good. I'm also looking foward to playing its dungeon levels, they look on par with Zelda.
    So there's sex in the game? Big deal, they took full advantage of their Mature rating. If they want to include a sex mini-game, then let them.
  • Hunter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hunter polycounter lvl 18
    Played this to death at E3.. Looking forward to trying it at home.. but what, only for Playstation2.. grrrr.. I hate games that are exclusive to ONE console.. oh well..

(I'll still be checking out..)
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Hm, I can't even find a release date for Europe... Did it get indexed or does SCEE just not consider us worthy?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hm, I can't even find a release date for Europe... Did it get indexed or does SCEE just not consider us worthy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well after reading this post.....
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    my opinion is, they knew they were gonna piss people off with so more gore, so they thought they might as well slap in some boobies to piss em off even more smile.gif
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    Played this game for maybe 4 hours straight last night (am in the sewers) and I can not even describe in words how much I am in love with it. I actually thought the sex mini-game was hilarious! This one is SURE to delight many gamers and piss off plenty of mothers. THUMBS UP!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    anyone know if this has plans of jumping to the gamecube or xbox?
  • parasyte7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    parasyte7 polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    anyone know if this has plans of jumping to the gamecube or xbox?

[/ QUOTE ]

nope, its made by SCE and is a sony ip so it will never make it to other systems...besides ps3 and psp in sequel or spinoff form.
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    SCEA made it, I believe, so it will never come to any other system.

My beef with the sex thing and why it's different from the violence is this: the violence is consistent and really sets an ambience and a tone to what this universe is like. I thought the sex was funny, too, but if they don't use/show it throughout the game, it'll just feel like something they decided to plop in.

I seem to be the only person who doesn't think it's the shit. To me, the game lacks a bit of polish. Like, it has all these mechanics, but it's missing little things, or has a little thing off, which makes it feel weird. Also, the combat system doesn't let you get a good flow going, which really sucks.

But, hopefully the game gets me laid.
  • todman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    todman polycounter lvl 18
    Hey,
    I just bought this game today and beat the Hydra and the 2nd Hydra. I love it, especially the jump kills and the grab and rip apart body kills. Butt, I didn't see any nudity in the mini game!! Whazzup, how do you do it?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Its metacritic scores are insane http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/godofwar

I watched a friend play it for about half an hour last night and I just dont get it. Looks like a lot of button mashing to me. What exactly makes this as good as people say? Do I really want this game?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Watching somebody play will not always give you a feeling for the game and who says your friend wasn't just mashing?
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    I am about 6 hours into the game and so far it is the best game play experience I have had in a game.

Until it released I hadn't even heard of the game. Somehow I missed it at e3 and didnt really catch on to the hype until my roomate picked it up and told me about it.

The game has an awesome cinematic feel to it. The music is very inspiring and it has a very epic sound behind it.

I will admit that the combat became a bit stale for a bit, but just about the time I had figured out the moves and gotten used to them, I got enough EXP orbs to level up my swords and learn new abilities. And then when I got tired of those I got more magic, and then new abilities, and then new weapons.

The game has a lot of energy to it also. The animations are very intense and brutal, and I really enjoy getting to play a badass character.
    For me, this game has everything that I wanted from the sequel to Prince of Persia (which, consequently, Warrior Within didnt have)

I could go on for awhile but I dont want to make this sound like some cheesy review, which I guess it does by this point =(

I absolutely love it, but to each their own.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Getting it this weekend (it's my birthday! yay)
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Finished it just now. Kind of a short game. Has some really great unlockable features, though. Like video and narration of deleted levels, unused models and descriptions, concept and narration of how Kratos was designed, and some deleted movies. Stuff like this is awesome. Alot of the puzzles were really good, too. It also wasn't a super hard game. Yeah, I died during some of the platforming and bosses, but never against normal enemies.

I liked the game better in the end, but I still don't think it's a great game. Anyways....

Edit: Oh right. Story. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. I never felt any wanting to kill Aries, as was said in the Gamespot review. Also, some lines were pretty stupid. Things like profound sounding things said during events that aren't really related.
  • sumguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sumguy polycounter lvl 18
    Happy Birthday Justin.

I just started playing, so far I really like it.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Make sure you play the game a 2nd time after you beat it. You get new additions to the character, new additions to the story, new skills and new baddies to fight it out with.
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    I'm with Daz. After watching tons of gameplay videos and reviews and whatnot. I don't get why it's being so highly spoken of. It looks like Ninja Gaiden, set in Rome, with less challenge.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    honestly... this game is the coolest action game I have played so far. Simple instantly recognizable gameplay mechanics, awesome visuals (i can't say enough how much i am impressed with the visuals in this game, and considering how limiting PS2 is its simply increadible how much they were able to pull off, the game looks great, everything feels so polished, environments, characters, all kinds of increadibly tasty visual effects) gameplay overall seems very solid and quite fun. There are quite a few very fun puzzles. The fact that the character is actually fun to play as is very revealing, I'm just tired of playing as this boring hero who's out to "save the world" nothing new about bad guys, but I found myself smirking a few times when the game actually did what I was thinking I would do in that situation smile.gif

I'm having a hard time thinking about things I didn't like about this game. Its a fun game, definitely quite an experience, and if you haven't played it you should check it out smile.gif
  • todman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    todman polycounter lvl 18
    I do agree with Daz, I found the best way to beat the crap out of the enemy is button mashing, not much technical moves, but I still love it, the way you can jump in the air and fight is way cool and I've only been a little way into the game. JKim: I can't believe you beat it already! You need to get out more (just goofin!)