Home General Discussion

Act of War RTS and the comical price of fuel

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
danr interpolator
i was just installing this fine looking RTS, Act of War, and was presented with an exposition video ... an american news report, gravely concerned with worldwide protests over the price of fuel : "an unprecedented $7 a gallon".

I glance over at the box art - Parliament, Capitol Hill, Golden Gate bridge, Buck House ... all in flames.

Hmmm. Well, for the past year or so, me and the rest of the poor UK motorists have been filling our tanks at an easy $7 per gallon. Approx 80p per litre on average. Sometimes a bit less, sometimes wildly more.

What's everyone else paying? How do we rescue our heads of state from the flames? And is the game actually any good? (I quit out to type this mini-rant).

Replies

• Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    I played the demo too ... the airstrikes and stuff are cool, but I think I'd like it more if I wasn't ideologically opposed to the rootin'-tootin' Americanism this game seems to represent. smile.gif

I don't know how much gas costs me. I drive a Del Sol, which is good on gas to the point of seeming to not like the taste, taking a sip whenever it absolutely needs to but no more than that! I fill my tank once every month or two. It's nice.
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    once every month or two !! jeez do you drive it? im british too and you americans can just stop complaining about petrol prices yours is still cheaper than EVERYONE elses!

Jody
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    the problem isn't the price of fuel.

the problem is that too many people are driving, and driving too often. and many of those people are driving SUV's...by themselves. and those same people have Bush stickers on their SUV bumpers.

I purchase gas about once a month or two. In fact, I can't remember the last time I did. So haven't even paid attention to the prices. It's nice that way.

Wasn't oil switching over to Euros until America stepped in to keep it Dollars?
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    yehh thats a bit greedy drivung a guzler like that on your own could a different pres have done any different do you think?

jody
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    these days i fill up at around £45, $90. And that's on normal unleaded, not the super stuff i really should be using. How long that'll last me is my business ...

but yeah, not so long ago petrol dahn sahf hit £4 a gallon. That's $8. And judging by how Act of War started, that's a hell of a lot more civilians callously mown down outside Buckingham Palace ...

Film-makers intending their movies for an international audience rarely get away with a lack of research, why should game devs?
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melkior polycounter lvl 18
    In the States we pay anywhere from US$1.80 to US$2.30 right now per Gallon. This translates to less than 1 brittish pound per gallon. A litre is smaller than a gallon... so I'm thinking we pay about 1/2 a pound or less for a comparable amount.

I lived in Oklahoma about 4 years ago it was .89 cents per gallon then - I know its above $1 now - but it was cheaper than bottled water. Oil is something we are running out of (Well then again so is clean water) so this simply can NOT go on forever.

Many geologists and scientists who study the worlds oil supplies believe that we are at the peak of the oil production bell curve right now and we will begin the long slow downside in the next 3-7 years .. some beleive a bit longer but I tend to disbeleive them when the US is already taking over sovereign nations for oil rights (Iraq).
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    While I'm glad that America generally has some of the cheapest fuel prices in the world, the consumption of fuel here does tend to balance things out a bit. Compared to the UK, for instance, the US is gigantically larger, and often with enormous stretches of relative nothing between where you are and where you want to go. Additionally, public transportation here isn't that highly thought of. City buses are more often used by those at the bottom of the economic ladder, and there is no national train system anything remotely like Britain's. For the large majority of Americans, if you want to get somewhere near or far, you're driving yourself.

I've known people who spent well over an hour commuting each way to work every day and were refilling their gas tanks more than once a week. If I want to see my family, just up the interstate in the next major city, I've got to drive 112 miles to get there - there's no other option. Go up and back for a weekend visit and I've used a full tank of gas in the process. That's a relatively common thing in these parts.

Nice to see that usual Bush-oil-Iraq conspiracies have already made their appearance; it wouldn't be a polycount thread without them!
  • Badge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badge polycounter lvl 18
    despite the fact that i can barely afford to fuel my little heavinly accord, i would still like to see us gas prices go up. all these god damn SUVs and now, mother******* hummers for christ sakes.

thanks alot bush, you so and so...
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, even beyond the anti-earth raping idealism, I'm pretty sick of big-ass vehicles myself. If I'm waiting for a break in traffic to turn right, it's virtually inevitable that an SUV is going to pull up next to me to turn left, making me have to nudge closer to the traffic that would pulp my li'l car if it had the chance, and then the soccer mom in the SUV rolls a little forward too because she doesn't have the faintest inkling of how to drive and thinks she'd better copy me for safety's sake, and then a gargantuan fuckin' truck pulls up behind me to fill my rear view mirror with his lights, cleverly designed by some Japan-hatin' redneck to burn out the eyesockets of Del Sol drivers, compelling me to roll a little more forward still to see past the left-turner ...

Ohh, they make driving pleasant.
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    so were not bush fans then... seriously though even if you think bush is resposable (which hes not thier are other people pulling the strings, hes not the sharpest tool in the box) what exactly can you do about it?? nothing unless you plan a revolt in which case you silly bugers let them pass the patriot act without any fuss at all! so youd get put in prison (or hit with a brick on the head in texas) if you even thought about it! jeez if the government in britain treated the populus like your goverment does theyd have been draged out of parlament and given a good talking to! dont get me wrong im not saying our goverment is any more moral than yours is, jeez tony dont give a shit about no one! but he cant do anything to drastic (like the patriot act) cos he just wouldnt get away with it... look at the recent anti terorism laws labour tried to get in recently even the house of lord wasnt having any of it so they had to water it down and stick a great big cap on the top! so come on america what can you do about it??

Josy
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    actualy i rectract that, i dont wanna end up in a gwantanimo! frown.gif

Jody
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    It was only recently that GoK had his sex change operation. Josie.

And, uh, yeah, petrol in the US is ridiculously cheap compared to UK petrol. Why is that again? Tax? Greed? Oil? Huh?
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    yehh it was painless,paul wanted a real man! nahh i think my parents were on crack when thay named me or something!

Jody
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Funny, the price of gas and how it keeps going up is a subject i hear come up often at work and it always makes me laugh when I remember the price of petrol in the UK and europe.
    As much as Verm's points about distance being relative hold weight for some people here, I live about 5mins from work and dont need to fill up the car anymore than i did in Britain.

I think that sure, while the UK is much smaller than the US, most of us dont really drive round our whole country too often do we?

I have noticed though, that Americans use their cars a lot more than Brits and Euros because they don't really like to walk or cycle if they can avoid it; with drive through banking and shopping and what not, they sure can avoid it too heh
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    here in Kentucky, on thursday the gas price was $1.96 per gallon. friday, the start of spring break for the local college, gas prices jumped up to $2.23 per gallon. local stations screwing the students on their ways home, especially considering this college is a 'suitcase' college (most students live close enough to go home every weekend)
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey hey hey...i just mentioned the Bush stickers, not the man himself. I've made it a fun game to stop at intersections and watch all the SUVs drive by with only one passenger in them. Sometimes I catch whole lines, and they're all talking on cellphones, usually obese, and have the Bush, McDonalds, Jesus Fish, and Honor Roll kid stickers on the bumper. It's the american dream baby!

I'm surprised the price in Europe is so high. Does it have anything to do with my previous post about the Euro/Dollar conflict? If so, you guys are getting screwed. Start another war!
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I am so sick of Europeans saying "we STILL pay more, what are you Americans complaining about?!?!?" - If you were accustomed to paying a certain amount and then had it more than double, you would be complaining too.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    i have a question for Europeans: what is the average # of miles you make in one shopping trip? here in eastern Kentucky it is almost mandatory to make between a 20-50 mile drive (40-100 miles roundtrip) to get to any sort of 'decent' shopping areas. and the DESPOTS OF THE FUEL DEPOTS know it. mad.gif

as it has been mentioned a couple of times already but it seems people that have never really lived away from city areas and non-USA folk just dont understand how far one has to travel to get anything out here in the 'rural' areas. from my parents house it was at least a 60 mile round trip just to get to a game store. more if they didnt have the game and we went to the next one.
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    yehh sorry if i seemed to be saying dont complain about it, i didnt mean that you SHOULD complain about it it isnt fair that your fuel costs have gone up so much i was only pointing out the fact that its more expensive elsewhere. And as for how far de we have to go well i doubt if the majority of brits have to go any furthar than 5 miles to get to town! in the north of scotland parts of wales and ireland you might have to go up to 20 tops but thats a small minority of the country! I have no doubt that life in general is quite a lot harder in the rurel parts of the states dont your supermarkets let you order your food/shopping over the internet!? they do here.
    I cant believe people drive suv's on thier own using mobile phones thats just shocking! its actualy illegal here to drive and use your phone at the same time.. unless its a hands free kit! on a completely different note tho you guys get MUCH fastr internet access than we do i beleive the tops we get is 2 megs 6 if you live in london and go with bulldog or whoever they are!, my friend is moving to japan in the summer and is bragging about getting a 45MB line frown.gif whats yours?

Jody
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    I work at a CO-OP that has a BP petrol station joined on to it,the CO-OP staff man the kiosk (I occasionally get to go in there and do all the cool authorisations machines and stuff)...anyway where I work the current petrol price is 82.9 a litre of bog stanadrd unleaded and slipping higher and higher.Compared to local competion it is proberly the higest around here but its likely the others will be forced to go higher anyway.

Despite the fact its the highest priced petrol here we are only currently taking about half a penny per litre profit for BP.
    Then all you need is a single selfish dip-shit to come along fill there car up and "shoot" and down the drain goes all our profit for the entire week...now I know for a fact this week alone there have been at least 2 cases of "shooting" so we are proberly loosing more money than we are gaining over an entire weekly period.

These arn't the only factors I had my manger exsplain to me other factors afew weeks ago when the price got particularly high and we had plenty of irate customers and I just got annoyed with people shouting at me. But I can't remmeber the other factors in fact all I do rmemeber is we have 3 tanker deleiveries a week each one has 36Ks worth of full on board....but I can't remember how that relates to anything frown.gif.

john
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Astro: happy to make you sick smile.gif

Seriously though, the rate in Britain and Europe having doubled too, they were just higher. Practically everything in the UK was more expensive than in europe, especially haveing a good time.

And again, everything in the US is cheaper than the UK when it comes to luxury, standard of living and having a good time. Though, oddly the price of food in the states is crazy high, healthy food is like some elitist lifestyle choice it seems.

As for the whole issue of being sick of people pointing out you have much more than them, try be a little less self centered and have a look around the world maybe?

When these sort of pro US statements are made it really makes you look like a bunch of fat spoiled schoolkids angry at the idea that some skinny starving kid might want you to share.

I know that isn't the case, it's just a bit too commonplace to see such a rageful reaction in an american when someone not from america points out that theres a scale and that americans are lucky enough to be high up on that scale when it comes to many things.

I guess it's like 'yeah we got it all, but we want the right to complain about being hard done by too ok?' smile.gif

I understand there is poverty here too, really. There was poverty in the UK also, and in Europe; but when I travelled a little more in Europe I was utterly shocked at times to relearn what poverty is.

I consider though that as much as I think I learned about real poverty when travelling, I didn't travel to 3rd world countries. Regardless, I find that being aware of more of the world than simply where I grew up, helps me, and has always helped me, to feel lucky and grateful to have each countries (that I've lived in) respective wealth's.

I guess an easy way to put it is that, we're all sitting on comfy chairs using expensive computers to browse the internet, what have we got to moan about eh?
  • jdevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jdevin polycounter lvl 18
    Right on Rorshach!
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Let me just point out that I am never one of the Americans complaining about the cost of fuel. I'm just tired of the petty pissing contest about who has it worse. The last part of your post sums things up perfectly.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, AZ, I'm not trying to argue "who has it worst"... I'd like to know why American fuel is so much cheaper than British fuel? And what would happen if petrol/diesel in the US was even 2/3 of the price of that in the UK?
    Maybe that would make people over there think twice before buying a vehicle that does 15 miles to the gallon.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    just on a curious note,how much of that fuel price acturally goes to the US goverment?

I mean lets face it most of the cost of ours ends up at the treasury.

john
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    AZ, Im not sure you've realised the irony in your statement.

For Europeans to spout 'We still pay more, what are you Americans complaining about?' its in response to an American complaining about gas prices. smile.gif Perhaps If they didn't do that, we wouldn't have to counter with the stock response that youre so sick of! And yeah, I've got zero time for Americans complaining about gas prices. Weve had this argument on pc before about gas. It's going nowhere.

I played the demo and wasn't blown away by it. But yeah danr, that's a pretty weak story to say the least.
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    I'm either going for either a hybrid car or moving in to a place with easy bus access. Right now I drive a volvo stationwagon about 300 miles a week and pay $25 per tank. It will definitely be interesting to see if predictions are correct, that the Earth's oil supply is going to run out in our lifetimes, and how quick we are to make the switch to alternative fuels. I know a few years back in Japan they started having gas stations with some special watered-down fuel that somehow worked just as well as the regular stuff, and wasn't as polluting.

This whole SUV driving a troop transport trend is ridiculous though, I don't get how people can park those things, much less throw away so much money on the gas.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    I say we give the steam engine another try... seriously. I mean, with today's technology, would it really be that difficult to make a steam engine practical? Stanley Steamers could haul ass (0 - 60mph ~ 5 seconds, upwards of 150mph), and they had the aerodynamics and weight of a dumpdruck. I think it would be possible to design a steam boiler that ran off of a car battery instead of fossil fuels (and of course run an alternator off of the engine), which would mean zero emissions and the only fuel necessary would be water.

I think this is a solution that has seriously been overlooked.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz - You are absolutely right, irony missed. I respectfully withdraw all previous comments crazy.gif

As for alternate fuel sources biodiesel has my vote based on what I've heard so far.
  • Lore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lore polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.gaspricewatch.com/usgas_index.asp

Zip Codes and general area you can enter:

85044 Phoenix, Arizona

90007 LOS ANGELES, California

48209 Detroit, Michigan

10022 New York, New York

33122 Miami, Florida

73301 AUSTIN, Texas

55460 MINNEAPOLIS, Minnesota

99509 ANCHORAGE, Alaska

Make sure you set the radius of your search at least 5 miles to kick up numbers. I have notice anything less gives you blank responses because the individual gas stations aren't reporting there numbers because they don’t have to. The above zip codes will give you an answer to gas price in the States regions.

I personal hate the reverse idealism from the early 90's when the people of the States thought we had this big shortage scare and Clinton opened the reserves to close them again. We adopted a short time the panic that we will run out of fuel, which launched the research in to other alternative fuels. There is a US Paton on a car that burns just like a steam engine and can reach 80 miles an hour. However the Paton was purchased with a rumor of a large sum of money and the plans have just disappeared. Also the inventors have also disappeared. And are probably living on there own island. The plans where bought to stop it from reaching market which is perfectly legal in the States if you know how to work in the ‘loop holes’.

If it wasn't a fact that I currently live like 25 minutes away to the closes Barnes & Noble or Best Buy by my car I would do away with it. Or the nicety it gives me to just too get away from my annoying roommates grin.gif

I personally would love to see the use of gas powered cars go away and the age of the hydrogen car of hybrid. But it scares me when I hear about this rumored crazy law that was proposed in Cali. The law was to make those types of cars equipped with GPS and charge by the mile because the Big Gas Companies think they are losing money on these types of cars. This whole situation sticks of “Corporate American” wanting the big bucks.

Before you start claiming a whole government sticks. You can find people in that society that have their issues with their own government. Becareful on how you stereotype people.

And I’m away of the irony in my own post. I define “Corporate American” is an ideal business practice or model that is concerned with making big money in the most fast way possible. This means killing the cash cow if they can find another one to kill. This is not a derogative or bashing term for me.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'd like to know why American fuel is so much cheaper than British fuel?

[/ QUOTE ]

Two reasons spring to mind. First, America buys in volume. I mean, *really* buys in volume. I don't know what percentage of the world's oil is consumed by America, but I expect it's between a third and a half. When you buy in bulk, you can get a lower price. Britain must use far, far less and thus has less negotiating power. Additionally, America has plenty of native oil production - Texas, Alaska, Gulf offshore, etc. I don't think the UK has any significant native oil resources, so pretty much every drop of fuel has to be shipped in by tanker from foreign countries. Homebrew is almost always cheaper than buying imports, and even the presence of native resources forces foreign distributors to lwoer their prices to compete with the native market. More or less. Living on an island usually sucks for pricing anyway, since overland shipping isn't an option.

[ QUOTE ]
    And what would happen if petrol/diesel in the US was even 2/3 of the price of that in the UK? Maybe that would make people over there think twice before buying a vehicle that does 15 miles to the gallon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Something like this has vaguely happened before, in fact, but it can't ever quite happen the way you're describing. In the 1973-74 gas 'crisis', fuel costs spiked everywhere due to OPEC flexing its muscles. Through the summer of 1974, Americans faced long lines for fuel and people were generally pissed. I guess most nations in this case would be a bit forced to suck it up, but as the US can be extremely 'persuasive' when the need arises, there were a few closed-door discussions and price controls were instituted shortly thereafter. The fallout stateside? Econo-cars were the rage for a while and Gerald Ford was soundly defeated by Jimmy Carter in the 1976 presidential election. Consider the current American government and the apparent attitude of the nation itself. What do you think would happen if Saudi Arabi decided tomorrow that they were doubling the price for fuel? They'd be declared economic terrorists and the Saudis would have their minds changed for them right quick.

The current binge for gas-guzzler cars in the US isn't a recent phenomenon, either. There were Suburbans in the 1970s, along with the classic big block V8 sports cars and road hog luxury cars of all kind etc. My grandmother had a Buick Electra 225, I swear it was about half the size of a city bus. You couldn't even drive the thing in most of Europes cities and towns, it was just too big. Like most things, I expect this is cyclical, with emphasis on larger and smaller vehicles changing from decade to decade.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    well ... i'm happy to report that Act of War is actually pretty damned good : mental urban firefights (i particularly enjoyed laying waste to San Francisco), intuitive enough to pass muster, and the most graphically detailed game i've seen in ages.

I just hope they appreciate all the trouble they've caused smile.gif
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    Actualy i think china is fast becomming the largest oil consumer... or at least gaining!

Jody
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I've known people who spent well over an hour commuting each way to work every day and were refilling their gas tanks more than once a week. If I want to see my family, just up the interstate in the next major city, I've got to drive 112 miles to get there - there's no other option. Go up and back for a weekend visit and I've used a full tank of gas in the process. That's a relatively common thing in these parts.

[/ QUOTE ]

224 miles = 1 tank? What kind of consumption and tank size does your car have? Ours takes 7-8l/100km and loads ~40l, I think.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, KDR, that was on my old car, so it's not exactly true anymore. It was a low-powered 'economy' car (a Saturn sedan, for those who know) and it only had a ten gallon tank. I got just about 24 miles per gallon with it's econ reputation, so I got just a few miles more than a round trip out of a single tank of gas. My current car has similar fuel consumption, but a tank that's three gallons larger.

A gallon is about four liters, so figure I was getting 6 miles per liter, and I think that's about 10km/l.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    My parents' 2.0 Primera averages about 35 mpg, and we consider that a decent-sized family car. It can make a 350 mile round trip pretty easily on a full tank.
    My Micra gets a better milage per gallon, but it has a smaller tank, and a 1.4 litre engine.
    That's what the trip computer tells me...

I would not really consider 24 miles per gallon "economy" at all ... if we're talking economy, I'd expect 40-50 miles per gallon. There are some small town cars that can do upwards of 60 mpg these days, if manufacturer's figures are to be believed.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    My Citroen Xsara Picasso with a 1.8 liter engine does about 11km/liter or 30miles/gallon. It's a mini-van so it uses a bit more plus we always have the climat control on which eats some gas.
    Here you can buy a gallon today for a whopping $6.5
    I don't care about that very much. I do care about the 50% income tax that I pay every month frown.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My gf's 2000 Neon gets about 32 mpg, and she drives about 100 miles per day thanks to school and work. Back in high school she had an 2001 Echo, which got about 40 mpg. But the Echo is probably the smallest and most uncomfortable car if you're over 5'7".

I've had a 68 Mustang with a V8, and a 85 Thunderbird with a V8. :P But that was in the past.