Home General Discussion

Pressure-sensitive mouse

discman1028
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
discman1028 polycounter lvl 18
Hi all! I've been mostly a browser at this forum, so maybe it's time I gave something back to the artists :-)

I am designing a standard-type "pressure-sensitive" mouse, where one of the main markets will be artists/3D designers. They could then click harder or softer for stronger Photoshop brush strokes, or control how far to extrude, or whatever 3dsmax, etc, wants to do with the pressure data. smile.gif I can even show you guys the results of the hardware project at the end!

This prototype design will be completed in a couple months (deadline!) and may actually become a product in a few years, so your input would really help, whether you hate or love this idea!!

The survey is NINE really EASY questions. I'd reeeeallly appreciate feedback! Thanks!! Just reply here in the thread w/your answers. You can also tell me if you like the idea (even if it isn't necessarily unique, it was to me.)

I don't need a hundred answers, so every opinion counts! Thanks guys!

=================================

1. What applications do you use your computer for most?

A. Gaming
B. Design ( CAD, 3D, etc )
C. Word processing
D. Work / Other

2. What value do you put on overall performance of a mouse you buy (i.e. smooth movement, accuracy, etc)?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Don’t consider
Huge consideration

3. What value do you put on aesthetics of a mouse you buy (look and feel)?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Don’t consider
Huge consideration

4. What value do you put on durability of a mouse you buy?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Don’t consider
Huge consideration

5. How important is hearing the “click” noise of the mouse so that you know that you’ve clicked?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Not Important
Very Important

6. How much did you pay for your last mouse?

A. $0 - $15
B. $16 - $30
C. $31 - $50
D. $50 +

7. How much would you be willing to pay for a pressure-sensitive mouse (IF more PC games and design programs used the feature)?

A. Would not buy
B. $1 - $15
C. $16 - $30
D. $31 - $50
E. $50 +

8. Are you satisfied with your current mouse?

9. What do you like / dislike about your current mouse?

Replies

• GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    ok, firstly this could be usefull im not sure if it would work as well as a graphics tablet but only using it would tell really.

1. b
    2. 10... obviously
    3. 1
    4. 6
    5. 10
    6. b
    7. no more than 20 british pounds as a graphics tablet could be bopught for more than that!
    8. very
    9. ehh it is comfortable and acurate... not sure what alse to say about it its a mouse!

10. about four feet long with a curly tuft on the end.... :P

Jody

PS id hope all software that suports pressure sensative tablets would support this eg Photoshop 3d studio max zbrush ect
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I'm with GoK, not sure how much use a pressure-sensitive mouse would get, but it sounds like it might be handy in some areas. Sounds a little like the force-feedback mice, a bit of a gimmick, around for a while then faded from sight...

Still, it's a worthwhile venture, you never know, might be the next big thing!

1. B
    2. 8
    3. 7
    4. 7
    5. 8
    6. C
    7. D
    8. Yes. It's a Logitech MX510, if you're wondering.
    9. Very accurate, and the most comfortably-shaped mouse I've ever owned. Smooth, good-looking, and should last a while. I love it.

Hope that helps you!
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    same mouse i have snap! they must be popular!

Jody
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    same mouse here also

i hope your design considers the effects a pressure sensitive mouse may have on the developement of RSIs.
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    1. A and B

2. 10, it's gotta work well.

3. This is really two questions, the look, and the feel. For the lool, 1, doesn't matter what it looks like. For the feel, 10, after spending many hours using it, it's important that it's comfortable.

4. 7 I guess, not gonna be slamming it around or anything, but it should be able to last a few years without any problems.

5. 7 Never really though about it before, but it does help indicate when I've clicked, especially if i have to click mulitple times. On that note, for the mouse you're designing, when would the click occur, when the button is first pressed or at the max?

6. D Don't remember how much exactly but over 50 definitly.

7. That would really depend on how helpful it is. If it works well and has a wide variety of applications then it may be worth more. But if it only has an effect on a small list of programs then it won't be too useful.

8. I really like the mouse I have right now, but the buttons are starting to wear and I may have to get a new mouse soon, good timing.

9. I like that there's no ball in it so I don't have to use some mouse pad and it's more accurate than any mouse I've had before. And I really like the extra buttons on the side. Not very happy about the buttons going bad after only 2 years though.

I'm curious, how is the pressure being determined? Off the top of my head I would think that connecting a button to a potentiometer could work then using an AtoD converter if a digital output is neaded, although there's probaly buttons designed to do this kind of stuff already. Pressure sensors and such, but those still need an AtoD converter.

How hard would you have to press a button to reach the max and min? How would this affect normal usage(non-pressure senative stuff)? For example, if the minimum pressure required for the button to be considered clicked is very light, would simply resting your finger on the button cause the mouse to think you're constantly holding the button down? Or if you had to reach the max pressure in order to click on something would you have to be pressing fairly hard, which could cause more wear and tear after prolonged use?
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    I echo what soccerman says, exept price , i dont think i would pay more than £20 (and that would be for the best mouse in the world) ive always bought microsoft mice, and i like the 5 button one i have at the moment (for gaming at least)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1. B
    2. 10
    3. 7
    4. 9
    5. 4
    6. D $65 for Logitech mx duo which is wireless keyboard/mouse, but just the mouse would have been $50 anyway
    7. d But i would probally still use the mx700 for gaming.
    8. Yes
    9. Dislike: Batteries run out too quick because i forget to put in on the charger, not really a fault of the mouse. If you could make a wireless mouse that didnt need its batteries that would ROCK.
    Like: Very precise, great feel, 7 buttons of which i actually use about 6(back, forwared, smooth scroll down, up, universal scroll, right, left) The only button i dont use the the task switcher because im used to alt-tabbing anyway.

Also this would have to be a wireless mouse for me to even consider buying it i cant stand using mice with wires because it pulls at the mouse when you move it. I would imagine this would be more of a cost effective solution for someone on a tight budget that wanted to get a wacom or something like that, its hard to imagine needing this when you have a tablet.
  • Major Clod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Major Clod polycounter lvl 18
    1. Gaming
    2. 9 - Has to perform really well!
    3. 8 - Has to be comfortable to use, not too worried on the colours though.
    4. 7 - If I am spending a large amount of money on a mouse I want it to last!
    5. 7 - Mice that don't make a click noise are annoying! I don't want it to be too loud though!
    6. D - $50+
    7. E - $50+
    8. Extremely - Logitech MX700
    9. It feels great, works great, wireless is sweet. Buttons are in nice places. Only problem I've had is the paint comming off the top from sitting in the recharger and around the buttons from excess use.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    1: A (and B)
    2: 9
    3: 7 (the feel not the look, and it shouldn't be too big)
    4: 8
    5: 2
    6: C
    7: D
    8: YES, it is an old Microsoft IntelliEye mouse (the white one), two buttons and a wheel. (doesn't need more buttons).
    9: From Microsoft(that is bad wink.gif ); almost broke since it is really old frown.gif

P.S.: Not Wireless please, the batteries make them too 'heavy' and I hate replacing them, but I don't mind a cable at all.
  • discman1028
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    discman1028 polycounter lvl 18
    Thank you all! I will post my preliminary research report when I finish it in a couple days.

ANDY
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    1 B
    2 8
    3 8
    4 8
    5 10
    6 C
    7 D
    8 Yes
    9 It has about 6 buttons in convenient places; Forward/Backwards when browsing, Quick App menu, etc.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

1. What applications do you use your computer for most?
    <font color="red">A. Gaming</font>
    B. Design ( CAD, 3D, etc )
    C. Word processing
    D. Work / Other

2. What value do you put on overall performance of a mouse you buy (i.e. smooth movement, accuracy, etc)?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 <font color="red">9</font> 10
    Don’t consider
    Huge consideration

3. What value do you put on aesthetics of a mouse you buy (look and feel)?

1 2 3 <font color="red">4</font> 5 6 7 8 9 10
    Don’t consider
    Huge consideration

4. What value do you put on durability of a mouse you buy?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 <font color="red">10</font>
    Don’t consider
    Huge consideration

5. How important is hearing the “click” noise of the mouse so that you know that you’ve clicked?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 <font color="red">9</font> 10
    Not Important
    Very Important

6. How much did you pay for your last mouse?

<font color="red">A. $0 - $15 (£13)</font>
    B. $16 - $30
    C. $31 - $50
    D. $50 +

7. How much would you be willing to pay for a pressure-sensitive mouse (IF more PC games and design programs used the feature)?

A. Would not buy
    <font color="red">B. $1 - $15 This is my max limited for ALL mice</font>
    C. $16 - $30
    D. $31 - $50
    E. $50 +

8. Are you satisfied with your current mouse?
    <font color="red">Yes, I love it. I've had 2 of these, and each has lasted roughly 2 years. My last one is actually downstairs on the other computer. I thought it broke, put in storage and tried it 2 months later and it worked fine./color]

9. What do you like / dislike about your current mouse?
    <font color="red">How it fits my hand, and how awesome it is for the cost..</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

</font>
    PS for me it would have to have wires. I don't trust anything without wires. They cost extra with batteries and suck.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds like a cool product to develop or investigate.
    I am wondering if you have any ideas about the market(s) you can target with such a product.
    Anybody who does design work at either a professional or "advanced hobby" level uses a tablet for this.
    Even if you can add preasure sensitivity to a mouse then drawing with a tablet will beat drawing with a mouse simply because it's more natural and allows for more control.
    Unless such a product can be offered for a price which is similar to a standard mouse (maybe a little bit more) then I don't see how you can create much sales in this market.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    mouse?

not seen one in years.

wouldn't you get horrible cramps pushing your finger down for more than a milisecond at that angle?

with Ikraan here, a6 wacoms can be picked up for £30.

just offering you some healthy criticism
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    I can't see how much use a pressure-sensitive mouse would be, since it seems to me that pressure is not something that can be effectively or accurately conveyed with a mouse. If that were true, I doubt that pen-based tablets would be as widespread as they are.

For me, the mouse represents position, and the pen represents pressure and stroke. But neither can take the other's place in those roles, I think.

I find the pen/stylus is useful for applying gradual pressure over the course of a stroke, something that a mouse can't do because of the way you hold your hand on the mouse itself. I don't think I can simulate pressured brushtrokes well with a mouse. You can try, but good luck, and say hi to your joint pain doctor for me.

The mouse, on the other hand, is better at position. Just try dragging an on-screen object with a pen, and then stopping it, and holding it in one place. I can do it, but it's not very easy. I've never been able to effectively use the pen in Adobe Illustrator, for example, if what I'm doing is placing spline points. It slides too much. Illustrator has great pen support for making strokes, but if what you want is precise point placement, the mouse can't be beat. The first Wacom tablet I got (UD-1212) didn't just have a mouse in addition to a pen, it had a plotter/'puck'. The very presence of this device as an add-on to a pen-based package means that the one can't always substitute for the other.

None of these issues is addressed in your survey. It might as well just be a survey about mice in general, except for the one mention of the pressure feature, and only as a sales point.

To me, this seems like asking about how well I like my submarine, how much I would pay for a new one, and would I buy one with screen doors, if they were a supported option. I can't answer any marketing-type questions until I've seen the product demonstrated to be usable.

/jzero