Home Technical Talk

Hair Simulation Starter Kit/Tutorial

Weiser_Cain
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
So I just saw The Incredibles and now I want to learn how to simulate hair.
I know nothing and next to nothing about anything other than modeling. What tools tips and tutorials should I look into? Max(or max compatible) would be best, but I'll move to another program entirely if it's clearly superior.

Replies

• Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Well it somewhat depends on your main 3D app. of choice. Most of the big apps. have their own hair system built in. Maya's I dont like so I use the "Shave and a haircut' plug-in for Maya. They are just about to release a Max version imminently. The really great thing about it is the hair styling UI. It's basically a sort of combing/styling toolset which is pretty powerful and quite intuitive. There are other hair systems out there though. I believe Shag Hair for Max is meant to be pretty good.
    And yeah, the propietary hair system used by Pixar is amazing. The credits showed an entire 'hair' team.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well it's like I said I use max but I'll change to the best program if I can get better results(I can already hear my wallet crying).
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Changing your 3D app. of choice just for its hair system seems a bit overkill no? As said, there are plenty of decent plug-in hair systems.
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TechSmith polycounter lvl 18
    Look in the plug-in thread. There's a link to one called ornatrix or something like that. I tried it, it works, give it a shot. There's also Shag Hair for Max. I'm lazy so you have to google it yourself.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Talking about Incredibles hair, did anyone else notice that Pixar used rather cheap looking alpha-hair in some scenes? Or was it just me :S
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    The boy had it and the redheaded brick had it, i think it was mostly in fast moving scenes. Maybe because it would have taken ages to motion blurr better hair or something.